U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 AM

19 posts, read 80,393 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I are still looking for a house. Deciding on East Windsor or S. Brunswick. We work in New Brunswick and Lawrence. Our budget is about 330k and we expect to have children one day so a nice size lot would be idea.

I understand the schools in SB are rated higher than EW, however, the housing stock in our price range is slim in SB. There's more inventory in EW but the taxes scare me in that town. We like SB for the schools but I notice the very high Asian-Indian population and traditionally they've been known to excel anywhere they go. Plus it seems they are now the majority in the district as far as school populations go. I have heard the Dayton schools are about 60% asia-indian. Monmouth Junction and Kendall Park are not far behind those stats. It appears many of the big home developments consist mainly of asian-Indians.

In EW I noticed there seems to be more of a mix of people living in most of the town's developments, but those houses seem to stay on the market longer to compared to other towns. We are looking for good mix of everyone so our kids can learn different cultures and have a diverse set of friends. But also we would like to be able to sell our house when the time comes.

I wanted to get some insight, especially from the residents of these two towns about the schools. Also, even tbough taxes are high in EW are the residents happy with the services that they receive from the township.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:09 PM

893 posts, read 2,129,716 times
Kendall Park section of S Brunswick

Old 03-23-2012, 09:39 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,669,957 times
Keep looking in South Brunswick, or possibly Jamesburg/Monroe Township. East Windsor would not be on my list. I lived in East Brunswick, Milltown, East Windsor and Somerset. I taught in North Brunswick, so am somewhat familar with reputations of the districts in Middlesex County.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,522,622 times
Stay away from East Windsor. Taxes are high, schools are not that good. The resale in East Windsor is bad right now because of the tax and schools situation.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM

2,242 posts, read 4,929,863 times
South Brunswick is definitely a better choice of the two. But with a budget of 330k your options are extremely limited for a SFH. if you are open to townhouses, you might have better options.

As far as Asian Indians in SB, yes their population is about 25% and will increase marginally in the years to come. I doubt their school demography is or will be as high as 60% but most Indian families tend to have kids (or will eventually if they are still in their early 20's) so it will impact their school demography over time.

It is a whole different conversation if having too many Indians or Asians in the school is good or not. I personally know a few non-Asian parents complain that having too many Asian kids (Indians, Koreans, Chinese, etc) make their life difficult as their kids have to study more to be as competitive as Asian kids. I would assume more education and competition is good but obviously there are people who think differently.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM

1,041 posts, read 2,902,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Kendall Park section of S Brunswick
for 330k OP is looking at 3/1.5 ranches with no basements in Kendall Park. BTW OP, Kendall Park Zip is 08824

Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 AM

19 posts, read 80,393 times
Isn't true though that EW doesn't get the best school reputation because many of the Hispanics that attend do not perform as well as the Asians and caucasian students who attend EW schools. It's no secret EW has a very high Spanish population, therefore their scores tend to stand out.
Whereas SB has a very high Asian-Indian population and their scores are higher than the caucasian students who attend school in that district. The scores of the SB schools standout because Asians students are the majority. The Caucasian students at EW (on an elementary level)seem to score higher on the state exams compared to the Caucasian students in SB(according to greatschools.org). So my question or point is...do scores really matter when you're looking at the ENTIRE district.

Last edited by Cj4178; 04-09-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM

1,041 posts, read 2,902,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj4178 View Post
Isn't true though that EW doesn't get the best school reputation because many of the Hispanics that attend do not perform as well as the Asians and caucasian students who attend EW schools. It's no secret EW has a very high Spanish population, therefore their scores tend to stand out.
Whereas SB has a very high Asian-Indian population and their scores are higher than the caucasian students who attend school in that district. The scores of the SB schools standout because Asians students are the majority. The Caucasian students at EW (on an elementary level)seem to score higher on the state exams compared to the Caucasian students in SB(according to greatschools.org). So my question or point is...do scores really matter when you're looking at the ENTIRE district.
You make great points, and looks like you have done your due diligence. If I were you i would buy the home that provides the better value. This board has an incredible infatuation with "schools" and the "nj monthly rankings". Take everything you read here with a grain of salt. There is "some" truth here. But also just some folks trying to sustain the home values for their 500k 60 yr old 3/1.5 cape with 14k tax bill in a "better" school district.

Read this thread...

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...y-if-your.html

Old 04-09-2012, 05:39 PM

133 posts, read 486,621 times
We live in East Windsor (moved a couple years ago)..and we love it. We don't have children yet, but we are very confident they will get a good education here. We love the diversity, as we are surrounded by Asians (Indian/Chinese), Caucasians and Latinos. Our street has mostly Indians and the parents are very pleased with the school system. If their children are not in sports, then they are in Kumon or doing homework diligently. Yes, it seems that the Hispanic population of children have brought the scores down, but they are getting to know the english language and many are in ESL. The location is great..there is all the shopping and convenience that you can imagine...25 minutes to Princeton, 25 minutes to the Freehold RaceWay Mall..etc. ....Just and FYI ..I am a born and bred NJ girl and you have to really take school ratings with a grain of salt (especially NJ Monthly) as well as people on this thread(Although they mean well)..I have witnessed people having nervous breakdowns over school ratings just because their school is not in the top 10. People here get influenced easily and have to keep up with the Joneses. They think that their children will all of a sudden become gifted and talented and will end up with a full scholarship to Harvard IF and ONLY IF they attend schools like Millburn High and the like. Please do not fall for that crap.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 PM

893 posts, read 2,129,716 times
What Tony Starks said about home values! Whether "school ratings" are accuarte or not doesn't matter. What matters is perception is reality and if the masses feel they are not good schools in these towns because of the ratings, your home values will suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey