U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:26 AM

17 posts, read 29,777 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! This is my first post and i'm hoping that you may be able to help me.
Some background: I'm a single 27 yo female that will be starting my residency at RWJ in July and I need some suggestions on where to live. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apt in a safe neighborhood that ideally wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg once utilities are factored in. Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than 1100 on rent but that can go up if utilities are included.

I've gotten some suggestions on living in Highland park, but i'm also wondering if there are other neighboring towns that are worth looking at like North Brunswick, Edison, Piscataway, etc that may be nice for a young professional like myself? I'm not sure if there are any negatives of living in those areas. I'd like to also minimize my encounters with serious traffic, but I'm not sure how the traffic patterns are and if it is better to live more south than more north of NB to minimize it. Also, if there are areas to avoid, please share.

Any help you can provide, as well as apartment complex suggestions, would be extremely helpful. Thanks a bunch!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:02 AM

14,658 posts, read 8,614,251 times
Highland park is a good choice, but parts of Edison are also nice and very reasonably priced for the area. New Brunswick is a college town so I would try to avoid it if you can, it's also become more and more shady over the last few years. There was recently an incident where a man was firing a gun into a crowd and, naturally, the police shot him. The "community" came out in full force against the police officer.

You should be able to find a 1 BR in Edison for 1100. You also shouldn't rule out Metuchen. It is a little bit more expensive but with the market the way it is you might be able to find a nice 1BR there. They have a train station that will bring you right to robert wood, and if you need to drive the drive is not so bad either.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:55 AM

328 posts, read 991,172 times
Somerset would actually be a great commute to RWJ. It would be almost a straight shot down Hamilton St so the traffic would be minimal (as opposed to getting on the highway or Easton Ave). Somerset has good and bad areas but they were pretty obvious several years ago when I was looking.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:35 PM

279 posts, read 1,014,586 times
If you don't have a car, then i would just look into New Brunswick. If you have a car, commuting from edison, highland Park and Piscataway is all the same. Many aprtment complexes in these towns but certain sides of edison can be very far traffic-wise from new bruns. North edison by colonia would be tough with rush hr despite it being "edison." I live in Piscataway and there are many complexes not too far from new Bruns....but having a car or not will determine where you will end up.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:19 PM

Thank you for the information so far!
@Mjjersey The situation you described is ridiculous! Luckily, I have no interest in living in New Brunswick because I'm not a fan of the college scene.
@Digi21 Thanks for suggesting somerset! I'll add it to the list of places to check out.
@dsmgvr4 I do have a car so transportation isn't an issue. I just don't want to live in a direction that will leave me commuting in a ridiculous amount of traffic every morning and afternoon. I'll try to pay attention to where in Edison these complexes are then. You say Edison, HP, and Piscataway commute is the same. Meaning that I'll have to take the same roads either way? Or you mean general time of commute?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:40 PM

264 posts, read 552,693 times
I second the Somerset/Franklin Twp suggestion. Its great and gives you the option to avoid Rt 287/Easton Ave traffic. Edison/Piscataway will be farther and also slightly more expensive, I believe.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,539,289 times
I would recommend Somerset/Easton Avenue complexes as well. There are a number of apartment complexes off of JFK Blvd. that would make commuting a breeze. There are also some alternate back roads/side roads and roads through developments that would get you to RWJ if necessary.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,193,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrdro View Post
Hello everyone! This is my first post and i'm hoping that you may be able to help me.
Some background: I'm a single 27 yo female that will be starting my residency at RWJ in July and I need some suggestions on where to live. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apt in a safe neighborhood that ideally wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg once utilities are factored in. Ideally, I'd like to spend no more than 1100 on rent but that can go up if utilities are included.

I've gotten some suggestions on living in Highland park, but i'm also wondering if there are other neighboring towns that are worth looking at like North Brunswick, Edison, Piscataway, etc that may be nice for a young professional like myself? I'm not sure if there are any negatives of living in those areas. I'd like to also minimize my encounters with serious traffic, but I'm not sure how the traffic patterns are and if it is better to live more south than more north of NB to minimize it. Also, if there are areas to avoid, please share.

Any help you can provide, as well as apartment complex suggestions, would be extremely helpful. Thanks a bunch!

Highland Park is an excellent suggestion. Right next door to New Brunswick, so the commute is fast and easy. Many residents at RWJ live in HP because of the proximity, safety and amenities HP has to offer. I'd add Somerset and Franklin Twp to the list. Just be careful as some complexes are a little sketchy. (easy to tell by visiting.)

I'd stay away from New Brunswick itself, mainly due to safety concerns. Rentals in the area also seem to attract the college kids who spend their time partying and not studying. (not something you want to deal with after coming off a 24 hour shift and wanting to get some sleep) While Edison and Piscataway are options, I think you'll run into traffic issues in trying to get to and from RWJ. For that reason I'd put them further down your list.

Best of luck!

KoalaNJ

Old 03-25-2012, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,760 times
Default East Brunswick also

You can also look at East Brunswick, traffic on Rt 18 is bad during rush hours, but traffic is bad everywhere. It is only 10 minutes to RWJ and it is a good, safe area with lots of shopping. If you are working 2nd or 3rd shift, commutting shouldn't be much of an issue from any ot the areas listed.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 AM

Thanks everyone!! You guys have helped me to expand my area a little bit.

Any thoughts on North Brunswick or Bound Brook for my purposes? These keep popping up in my apartment search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey