U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
njw njw started this thread

2 posts, read 7,217 times

Advertisements

Hi, having read a lot about living in maplewood, I think I need to post a specific question about the place I am about to take. Could anybody tell me whether the area around the Memorial park is safe and walkable at night, for example, around 8pm? I am a female and may have to walk from the train station to the intersection of Valley street and Oakland RD afer it gets dark. Want to make sure it is safe for me to do so. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 03:40 PM
njw njw started this thread

2 posts, read 7,217 times
Someone please help. I am really not familiar with this area, not sure if I should take that place or not. So basically, the apt is near the Memorial park and about 10 minutes walk from the train station--a bit on the east side of Valley St. Please let me know your thoughts about that neighborhood, in particular, safety wise. Many thanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:34 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,656,954 times
There are a LOT of commuters that take the train and walk from there. It is generally a safe area and valley street is high traffic. Truthfully as a female I wouldn't mind doing the walk at nigh. Maplewood has a really nice walkable down town. I think that you need to be as careful as you would walking in midtown manhattan. When I lived in South Orange I never heard of any incidents involving people walking in that area.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:08 PM

25 posts, read 51,403 times
It's a very safe section of town. Both the Police and Fire deparments have their HQ on Dunellin right by the train station. If I had to, I'd do it.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:32 PM

58 posts, read 216,367 times
If you don't mind high schoolers smoking under the trees, you should be fine. It's a very safe area. Anything that close to the village is great.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:14 AM

329 posts, read 1,378,839 times
I know Maplewood very well. It's a great place to live. And by all accounts the area you are talking about is considered to be very safe. But of course wisdom and common sense are warranted wherever you live. I'd carry some pepper spray, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey