Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM

14 posts, read 39,417 times

Advertisements

we have been looking for a while in Tenafly. Finally after months of looking we found the perfect house but there are no sidewalks on this or adjacent streets. It makes no sense to me not to have sidewalks. Would this be a dealbreaker for other people as well. I have 4 young kids and never thought twice about sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentofboys View Post
we have been looking for a while in Tenafly. Finally after months of looking we found the perfect house but there are no sidewalks on this or adjacent streets. It makes no sense to me not to have sidewalks. Would this be a dealbreaker for other people as well. I have 4 young kids and never thought twice about sidewalks.
This was just mentioned on another thread here recently. Odd to see it pop up again.

I grew up on a street with no curbs or sidewalks in a Bergen County town. We also walked to school because there was no bus service in my town (too small). A lot of the older towns did not have them except for on the main roads. The streets without sidewalks were less traveled, and it was not seen as necessary. We were taught to walk against traffic and pay attention to our surroundings. Sidewalks are usually put in when the traffic volume and speed makes it unsafe to walk along a street. The tradeoff is that a neighborhood without the unsightly addition of concrete sidewalks and curbs is much prettier.

I would look at the neighborhood and how the traffic is. If it does seem busy and that traffic goes a little fast for a residential street and is therefore possibly dangerous, maybe you would not feel comfortable living in that neighborhood with small children.

Also, remember that a price you pay for having sidewalks in front of your house is that the town usually declares that YOU are responsible for shoveling/clearing ice from the sidewalks in front of your house in the winter.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:27 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
Tenafly is a great town - very safe, family oriented, quiet, extremely low crime, and excellent schools.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
In Sidewalk towns people tend to be out more and the neighborhood seems to be more healthy in terms of quality of life.... There are parts of Tenafly with no sidewalks and parts where there are sidewalks which is typical in the Northern Valley. The Parts which were built with sidewalks tend to be older and nicer in my opinion....

Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
Ya, there's no sideways on Closter Dock Road, going towards Alpine, and that is a beautiful area !! There are no sideways, or street lights in Alpine, and man- million dollar estates. Hell, Alpine doesn't even have numbers on the homes- everything goes by post office box ... no mail delivery.

I live not too far from Alpine, I love that it's such a safe area and I don't have to worry about all that crime I constantly read about in the paper every day ... it's really a great area. Friendly, not too crowded, small shopping area in the middle of town, transportation into NYC, as well as a short distance to the Palisades and GWB into NYC ....

Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 PM

Seems like a great house and area but to have my kids have to bike in the street seems not what we are looking for. also the schools are within walking distance but again no sidewalks. It is just too bad as I really like the town but I know sidewalks are a pain to shovel but they are nice to walk on and safer for the kids which is my main priority.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
There are alot of towns in Bergen county with Sidewalks and great schools....

Ridgewood
Teaneck
Westwood
Hillsdale (All Main roads and secondary roads have sidewalks except 2)
Washington Township (All Main roads and Secondary roads have sidewalks except the Rich side of town)

Old 03-25-2012, 03:34 PM

do you think I am crazy for eliminating a house based on sidewalks. I prefer tenafly due to its location as my kid is in a school there (non public) we want to be near.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:43 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,529 times
It wouldn't be much of a deal breaker for me. I also grew up in a Bergen County town with very little sidewalks except for when you got closer to the center of town and the schools. Always walked and biked on the side of the road. Just teach em to be alert and aware.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentofboys View Post
Seems like a great house and area but to have my kids have to bike in the street seems not what we are looking for. also the schools are within walking distance but again no sidewalks. It is just too bad as I really like the town but I know sidewalks are a pain to shovel but they are nice to walk on and safer for the kids which is my main priority.
The kids aren't supposed to be biking on sidewalks anyway, although when they are very small that's usually what they do. I understand your concern--the safety of your kids is your number one priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey