Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:31 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Being 100% Italian, I can tell you the sense of community is fairly nice especially in Nutley and Bayonne. Be prepared to pack on 20 pounds though.

My old landlord in Belleville insisted I join him and his family upstairs for Sunday dinner every single week and honestly, I never ate that much in my life.
Did You get to eat some Pasta Fazool?

My Mom makes this soup from time to time from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 03:00 PM

24 posts, read 147,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
Thank guys for your input!!! I do have more questions now. Whats the deal with newark?? I saw some beautiful tower apts and they looked absolutely beautiful a 1 bedroom was 975 and a studio was 825 they had a doorman and everything with an intercom system which i really like but every single person says dont move there.Whats so bad about it???? I also looked for apts in lawrenceville after you mentioned it but the ones i found were super expensive and i mean SUPER over $1500 for a studio nutley was a place i was looking at dont know much about it yet.One more question whats the weather like out in jersey I have never seen snow in my life i so im kinda looking foward to that do i need warmer blankets or is the heat enough i know i'm a liitle naive sorry for that!!! Thanks so much for your help guys i really apreciate it and you have been very helpful
My friend used to live in one of those... She enjoyed until her car got stolen from the (gated and guarded) parking lot behind. I spent almost a year living in Newark, guess was lucky nothing bad happened to me

Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM

67 posts, read 148,022 times
What part of Newark did you live??? And what are the project areas in newark?? I dont wanna live in the projects at all!!!!! newark is a short commute to nyc right???? Less than 45min.?? Oh and will my dog be safe there there are certain areas all over cali that people are stealig pitbulls out of yards and cars. He is a suburbia dog and never has been an outside dog will he be ok??? Thanx so much!!!!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:07 AM

24 posts, read 147,487 times
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't advise moving to Newark. I lived about 15 min walk from the Path Station, and walked home at night alone sometimes - and so did my female roommates. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I moved out and I think you can really find something nice with access to the park for your dog, maybe try other NYC boroughs?

Old 09-14-2007, 09:32 PM

9 posts, read 37,778 times
Definately dont even consider Newark, I would suggest going as far west as possible but never Newark, not ever!! You would be very sorry.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 PM

67 posts, read 148,022 times
Theres another jersey post called " Is Newark really that bad " and people are actually saying it's ok to move there. Ive done my research and it seems it's kida like playing Russian Roulette. I admit that the rent seems great and some of the apts look beautiful on line that is. But i dont want to take a chance that the money i'll be saving will be use on my funeral. And the murder rate is a little to high for me!!! it reminds me of a city in the bay area called richmod. I would actually be intersted in comparing crime statistics to see which is worse.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:42 AM

562 posts, read 2,615,271 times
brandosgirl,

consider Elizabeth, it's safer than Newark and it's only 25 mins away from NYC .. rents are very affordable and within your price range. as all cities has it's good and bads, you want to look in North Elizabeth, Elmora, bayway, or Westminister sections.. from your postings you may want to be near either the 2 train stations in Elizabeth, so look in North Elizabeth or Elmora.. they are both within walking disctance to either Midtown train station or North Elizabeth train station.. also there are a few bus lines that go into Port Authority.. 112, 113, 111, 115, etc..

the neighborhoods are very DIVERSE.. so be ready to see people from different nationalities.. I live in Elizabeth and I cannot complain, everything i need is conveniently located..
I live very comfortable in a 1400 sq/ft apt .. i have 3 bedrooms.. heheh.. master bedroom for me.. the other is my office and the other I just have it as spare.. Apt this size rent out between 1400-1700 dollars depending on the area..
1 bedroom apt rent out between 600-900 dollars.
I go into the city every weekend.. drive is only about 20-30 mins.. depending on how fast you drive..

if u have any questions just PM me.. Good Luck!!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:16 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Why are you limiting yourself to NJ and Staten Island? Where will you be working? Definitely look into Queens and Brooklyn as well, as there are a lot of nice neighborhoods out there.

Newark is a weird city. I would only reccomend the Ironbound Section of Newark to anyone, but I don't think you will fit in unless you are Portuguese/Brazilian or at least speak Portuguese. Most of the rest of Newark is pretty much a warzone. If you do move to the Ironbound you'll have to deal with this crazyness everytime Portugal wins a soccer match though:
YouTube - Portugal WC 2006 - Newark NJ They do have really good food down there though.

I'd look into Bayonne which is pretty nice and reasonably priced. They also have the light rail in Bayonne which can take you to Jersey City or Hoboken where you can switch to the PATH. Bayonne is really insular though, they don't like people moving in from outside of the area.

Kearny, North Arlinton and Lyndhurst are all nice and affordable. Rutherford is nice as well.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:38 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
"Brandos Girl" now? Oh that's a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey