Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:17 PM

153 posts, read 377,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochie View Post
Gosh. Such varying experiences. How do the schools compare to Ridgewood? That is also on our list. I know Ridgewood schools have long been held in high regard, but not sure if things have gotten worse lately. Also, not sure if WashTwsp/Westwood are in the same general category.
It fell from 7th to 20th...things must be getting rough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,086 times
Ridgewood schools are going to be rated better, which also draws more competitive parents. Also, Ridgewood is definitely upper-middle to upper class; wheras Westwood/Wash Twp tends to me more middle-to-upper-middle. I've seen Westwood/Wash Twp recommended on these boards quite a bit (as an alternative for those that cannot afford Ridgewood or do not want that competitive of an environment). I dont think the schools will offer everything that Ridgewood would offer. However, there is a tradeoff to that. Ridgewood was recently featured in the "Race to Nowhere" movie about educational stress, for example. Ridgewood will have 95+% going to 4yr colleges (and they are mostly striving for Tier 1/2 schools, and Ridgewood will have a better reputation with colleges as being a very strong HS); Westwood HS will have a lower percent but most kids will be going to 4yr colleges and some community colleges and some "other".

I know Ridgewood is in the "Tier 1" of NJ High Schools (ie, Top 20), wheras Westwood is probably Tier 2 (not sure of their exact ratings). I find greatschools.net combined with NJ Monthly (but look at a few years to see where they generally fall) to be pretty indicative of the school quality.

Depends what you want. Westwood/Wash Twp is going to be more reasonablly priced but with schools that aren't as competitive and don't offer quite as much; Ridgewood is going to be pricey and competitive, with mostly people wanting the same thing - their kids getting into top colleges, and pressuring the schools more for top programs.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 PM

48 posts, read 109,236 times
I have to say, I really do not want my kids to feel stressed out about school. So in that sense I don't like the idea of Ridgewood. I do like the idea of a well funded, high quality education. Do any Bergen County schools have both top notch educations AND supportive/lower stress atmosphere??

Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,086 times
You might want to look at Wyckoff. I've heard it's nice. Also maybe something like Old Tappan or Northvale, or other schools that go to that HS (Northern Valley Regional).

Ridgewood will be competitive. The other ones will be too, but there is self-selection of families ending up in a town like Ridgewood. This affects sports and other areas too.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochie View Post
I have to say, I really do not want my kids to feel stressed out about school. So in that sense I don't like the idea of Ridgewood. I do like the idea of a well funded, high quality education. Do any Bergen County schools have both top notch educations AND supportive/lower stress atmosphere??
Rochie, totally understand your view. However, I feel it's mostly up to the parents to provide a major part of that low stress atmosphere. You don't have to send your kids to lacrosse clinics at 6 or intensive day camps during every summer. The major plus in school districts such as Ridgewood is that you have quite a bit of options for all sorts of speeds. But the key factor, which is still a solid public school education, will still be met.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:41 PM

14 posts, read 39,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
Rochie, totally understand your view. However, I feel it's mostly up to the parents to provide a major part of that low stress atmosphere. You don't have to send your kids to lacrosse clinics at 6 or intensive day camps during every summer. The major plus in school districts such as Ridgewood is that you have quite a bit of options for all sorts of speeds. But the key factor, which is still a solid public school education, will still be met.
what is wrong with lacross clinics. lol kids should be playing and if they are having fun that is important. better than video games.
Ridgewood is great compared to Wash township. cannot compare the two.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM

48 posts, read 109,236 times
What we really want is a school that does an awesome job of teaching during the school day (NOT teaching for a test, but really TEACHING) and then not too much homework for evenings/weekends. Also prefer unorganized sports to organized sports...but that would only work if the majority of the neighborhood kids are not already enrolled in organized sports. Any towns to suggest?

From what I understand, Ridgewood is lots of homework and organized sports these days. I grew up there and it seems like it has gotten much more of both of those since my days. Looking back, I do think we had too much homework then as well.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:24 PM

55 posts, read 56,195 times
Washington Township is one the wealthiest town with million dollar homes, excellent neighbors, great school system, based on holistic learning, and amazing football team. The town is based on morals, tradition, integrity, and a community that supports one another and it's schools.

Ridgewood, is a community filled with snobby housewives, competitive parents instilling pressure on their children to step on anyone whom gets competitively in there way.

The only difference Ridgewood has on Washington Township, is the failure to come together as whole, rather then be seperated community in which its only goal is to be better as one, rather than a whole.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:34 PM

472 posts, read 812,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar1 View Post
Washington Township is one the wealthiest town with million dollar homes, excellent neighbors, great school system, based on holistic learning, and amazing football team. The town is based on morals, tradition, integrity, and a community that supports one another and it's schools.

Ridgewood, is a community filled with snobby housewives, competitive parents instilling pressure on their children to step on anyone whom gets competitively in there way.

The only difference Ridgewood has on Washington Township, is the failure to come together as whole, rather then be seperated community in which its only goal is to be better as one, rather than a whole.
Actually, Washington Township is nowhere near being one of the wealthiest towns, and there are no million-dollar homes. Also, what does the whole "difference between Washington Township and Ridgewood" rant mean? I'm very confused.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:49 PM

55 posts, read 56,195 times
I beg to differ. My rants as you call it, are based on the difference of both schools, and what each one stands for. This of course, is my opinion and experience of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey