Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,296,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Not to get too deep with this discussion, but I do think there is a difference between someone asking if there are any other minorities in a town vs. someone asking if there is a town of predominately one thing.

One is looking to not be the only "jewish/black/indian/etc." in town and the other is asking to have as few of the "other" folks in town as possible.
Agreed. The difference is in the perceived attitude of the OP.

Anyway, this isn't "North Jersey" but it might have some of what the OP is looking for: Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association: Home Page But beware, the gays are moving in!!!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
OP-Look at MIDLAND PARK. It's next to Ridgewood. Has sometimes actually been referred to as "The Town Of Churches". A population of fewer than 7,000, but it has a Reformed Church, A Christian Reformed Church, A Church of God (Anderson, IN), A Gospel Hall, A Berean Bible Church, A United Methodist Church, A Roman Catholic Church, and a Syrian church that just bought the Episcopalians' building when they merged with the Allendale parish.

Trust me, this is your town. Good schools, small-town feel
Easy commute to NYC by bus or take bus to Ridgewood train.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:22 PM

11,336 posts, read 16,689,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Somehow, I don't believe that the train, or those rugs, or that company are sentient beings capable of feeling insult. Inanimate objects have no emotions--or at least the last time that I checked, they didn't.

On the other hand, actual people are capable of feeling that they have been insulted when referred to by an outdated bit of terminology that they consider to be offensive.

Apparently, the differences between inanimate objects and people are not as obvious to you as they are to me.

Have the PC police told you that it's not proper to say Oriental or have people from the Orient told you that it's not proper.

Between this book and 1984 (Orwell) we have become neutral and the same.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Language-P.../dp/0375414827

Old 03-30-2012, 05:40 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2012York View Post
Hi,

I currently live in New York City with my hubby and three kids (15, 13, 10 years old). We heard that Bergen County is the best county to live in New Jersey, especially near the city. We are religious Christians and are looking for a good town, lots of Christians, has church(es), good public schools, nice people etc. Our budget is $600 K.

Thanks for your help!!
I don't know what domination you are, but Ocean Grove (now part of Neptune Township in Monmouth County), and Mount Tabor (now part of Parsippany in Morris County) were founded as Methodist camp-revival meeting towns. They are both very interesting places to visit, and still have strong religious populations.

Ocean Grove, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mount Tabor, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both of these places as fascinating even if you aren't particularly religious. They are not in Bergen County, and a bit of a commute to New York, but they are interesting places to visit. I'm going to find the photos I took of these places last summer and post them in the New Jersey picture thread!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Have the PC police told you that it's not proper to say Oriental or have people from the Orient told you that it's not proper.

IIRC, back in the early '90s, more than one Asian person informed me (in a very polite way) that the term "Oriental" was offensive to him. The message probably did not sink in properly until more than one Asian person told me the same thing. After those revelations, I did my best to avoid using that terminology, although I am sure that I did "slip-up" a few times initially.

I just have to ask--Have the PC police told you that it's not proper to say "Darkie", or have African-American/Black folks told you that it's not proper to use the term "Darkie"? Before you take offense, step back and give this question some thought, and--hopefully--you will realize that I am referring to essentially the same type of issue.

My point is that the mythical PC Police do not have to hammer most folks into using the terminology that is desired by various ethnic/racial/religious groups.
I believe that it is just a matter of common courtesy to refer to other groups by using terminology that they consider to be appropriate and non-offensive.
Or, you can just go through life with the philosophy that, "I will call them whatever I want to call them".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey