Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:38 AM

8 posts, read 21,689 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I currently live in New York City with my hubby and three kids (15, 13, 10 years old). We heard that Bergen County is the best county to live in New Jersey, especially near the city. We are religious Christians and are looking for a good town, lots of Christians, has church(es), good public schools, nice people etc. Our budget is $600 K.

Thanks for your help!!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM

60 posts, read 130,220 times
I cannot answer this even though I have lived in five different NJ counties! I think that it is the diversity everywhere in NJ that makes it such a great place to live. There is no "Christian" town, just as there is no Jewish, Muslim or Buddhist town. Maybe you should try another state that is not so near to NYC and Philadelphia? They contribute to the diversity that NJ enjoys.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 21,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacultyM View Post
I cannot answer this even though I have lived in five different NJ counties! I think that it is the diversity everywhere in NJ that makes it such a great place to live. There is no "Christian" town, just as there is no Jewish, Muslim or Buddhist town. Maybe you should try another state that is not so near to NYC and Philadelphia? They contribute to the diversity that NJ enjoys.
Don't get me wrong. I like the diversity but not religious diversity.
I want my children to grow up with Christians and have Christian friends.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM

391 posts, read 1,475,892 times
^^^^^^^^^ self modded ^^^^^

Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2012York View Post
I like the diversity but not religious diversity.
The draw of New Jersey is that we're a little bit of everything from everywhere. Though I hear Kansas is really, really nice. You should look there.

/seriously, please don't move here.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
This is not going to end well.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
Join a church and/or send your kids to a christian school. America is a melting pot and cities/towns are diverse. Perhaps there are areas of the country that are less diverse (ie, Bible Belt?), but NJ is not one of them. If your child goes to public school, he/she will be in school with kids of many different faiths, as well as kids whose families do not observe religion.

PS. Why do people always "hear" that Bergen County is "the best"? Is that the NYC point of view? To me, Bergen County is congested and overpopulated.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 PM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Join a church and/or send your kids to a christian school. America is a melting pot and cities/towns are diverse. Perhaps there are areas of the country that are less diverse (ie, Bible Belt?), but NJ is not one of them. If your child goes to public school, he/she will be in school with kids of many different faiths, as well as kids whose families do not observe religion.

PS. Why do people always "hear" that Bergen County is "the best"? Is that the NYC point of view? To me, Bergen County is congested and overpopulated.
so is NYC. I would venture to say, most folks leave the NYC area due to rising costs (rent/purchase), poor public school options and lack of any true property/land. Not so much because it's crowded or overpopulated. By those standards, Bergen county becomes an attractive option.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM

880 posts, read 1,250,981 times
Northern Sussex county should be good for you. All Christians, lots of rusty pickup trucks with swastika stickers. (not kidding)

EDIT: And you can cut your housing budget in half!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM

17 posts, read 53,285 times
I don't think we need to be nasty here. Just because this family has stated that they are religious Christians doesn't mean they are awful people. Lot's of Christians are good people and not all of them are nasty and exclusive.

Personally, I am a Christian myself, but my husband is an atheist. We choose to live in Edgewater in part BECAUSE of the diversity. We enjoy the fact that our daughter has Muslim, Jewish and Buddhist friends.

OP - you are not likely to find exclusivity in Bergen County, however, with your price range you could probably look at Ridgewood or other nearby town. I've noticed that the further out you get, the less diverse. That's why we DON'T want to go out there, but it might work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey