Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Why is it that I just dont understand people looking at towns based on religion? I must be nuts but I find this strange.
I don't know if you're nuts or not but it doesn't seem odd to me that someone who belongs to a minority religion would want to be near others of that religion and near a house of worship of that type of religion. Especially in the case of a Jewish community wherein it is necessary to have a temple within walking distance.

If you're Christian, whether Catholic or Protestant, you can assume 99% of the time that any given town is going to have people of your type of religion. And you can drive to church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattie23NYC View Post
My husband and I want to rent before buying and we're looking for a town with a significant Conservative and Orthodox Jewish community, great public schools and/or proximity to great private schools, more of a sidewalk community and a walkable downtown and somewhere where, eventually, we can get a newer 3-4 bedroom home for under $800k, all with less than a 20 min commute to Lodi, NJ.

I've been told to look in Englewood, Fair Lawn, Glen Rock and Ridgewood (though it looks to me that Ridgewood doesn't have a Jewish community with the level of observance we're looking for, but I could be wrong). We're more Orthodox leaning than most Conservatives but would not be comfortable in a purely Orthodox community. I'd personally like a more diverse community, which I hear Fair Lawn has, but I'm not so sure about the schools. I went to NYC private school all my life so for me to be comfortable with a public option it has to be a lot more than just ok.

Any advice? Thanks.

Also, to anyone with significant familiarity with an area recommended, please recommend area/neighborhoods to focus on and preschools if you can.

Thanks again.
I can't speak directly to "great schools" except to say that there is no shortage of options when it comes to education. If the public school system doesn't work for you, there are plenty of private and Hebrew day schools across the spectrum. That said, let's talk towns -- Ridgewood doesn't have a strong Conservative and Orthodox Jewish community. There is more of a Jewish presence than people think, but it's not strong. Ridgewood is a diverse community that has undergone change in the past 20 years. Certainly meets your "downtown" requirement as it's downtown is second to none. Very nice community.

Fair Lawn does have a much stronger Jewish presence, both conservative and to some extent Orthodox. It's not Teaneck, but it's strong. It is a nice community. I mean, IMO, it's ok. No offense to people who live there, but I don't view it in the same way as I would view Ridgewood or Englewood. I hear someone describe Fair Lawn as "bland" and to some extent I can see that. There is no real walkable downtown, although there is a "center" of town where you have some retail shopping, small strips, supermarket, etc., like most other communities. Don't get me wrong, it's nice and there's nothing wrong -- but I don't view it like I view Ridgewood or Englewood, even though the former doesn't meet your requirements, but the latter absolutely does.

Englewood seems to be very close to what you are looking for. Might be perfect. It is a very nice community. Plenty of temples nearby, diverse Jewish community, ranging from Conservative to Orthodox, with children going to Frish, Yavneh, Solomon Schecter, and so forth.

I do suggest you rent before you buy. Date before you get married. LOL. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know if you're nuts or not but it doesn't seem odd to me that someone who belongs to a minority religion would want to be near others of that religion and near a house of worship of that type of religion. Especially in the case of a Jewish community wherein it is necessary to have a temple within walking distance.

If you're Christian, whether Catholic or Protestant, you can assume 99% of the time that any given town is going to have people of your type of religion. And you can drive to church.

I know this may not jive with the "scriptures" but what about just driving to Temple? Would that make you a bad person?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
I know this may not jive with the "scriptures" but what about just driving to Temple? Would that make you a bad person?
Would eating pork make someone a bad person? Not going to confession? Taking the lord's name in vain? If these are things you believe in you follow it.

So yes if you are orthodox or very conservative you are going to live somewhere where you can walk to a temple.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,495 times
[quote=Nattie23NYC;23654311

I went to NYC private school all my life so for me to be comfortable with a public option it has to be a lot more than just ok.

[/quote]

Honestly, if you are used to private schools, you may be disappointed. In public schools there is a big focus on testing, and incentives of teachers are influenced significantly by No Child Left Behind (that means no child launching ahead either) and standardized testing. Unless you go to the *best* (ie Millburn), you may be disappointed. But, Millburn is also big, so if you are used to small private schools, you may not like it there either.

On a side note, can anyone explain why at the Outlet Malls (ie the one just off GSP just past Asbury Park; and Woodbury Commons in NYC) there are so many conservative jewish families walking around? When I have been there, these families are en masse, dressed alike (expensive looking navy or black wool clothing), and I can't figure out what they are shopping for if they wear the religious clothing all the time.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Would eating pork make someone a bad person? Not going to confession? Taking the lord's name in vain? If these are things you believe in you follow it.

So yes if you are orthodox or very conservative you are going to live somewhere where you can walk to a temple.
And it may cause poor relationships with your fellow congregants if you whiz past them all walking along the sidewalk on Shabbos.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Honestly, if you are used to private schools, you may be disappointed. In public schools there is a big focus on testing, and incentives of teachers are influenced significantly by No Child Left Behind (that means no child launching ahead either) and standardized testing. Unless you go to the *best* (ie Millburn), you may be disappointed. But, Millburn is also big, so if you are used to small private schools, you may not like it there either.

On a side note, can anyone explain why at the Outlet Malls (ie the one just off GSP just past Asbury Park; and Woodbury Commons in NYC) there are so many conservative jewish families walking around? When I have been there, these families are en masse, dressed alike (expensive looking navy or black wool clothing), and I can't figure out what they are shopping for if they wear the religious clothing all the time.
I'm pretty sure Hasidic Jews wear their heavy clothing all the time. I've driven through Lakewood, NJ and even when it's 90 degrees, the men wear these big round beaver hats on their heads. That's dedication. In the old days people didn't wear shorts or sandals to church but it's no longer a big deal.

I used to play tennis in a park in Passaic Park and felt bad for Hasidic kids sweating it out playing softball in 90 degree weather. They didn't look comfortable at all.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

Believe it or not.. I have Eaten Pork while driving to confession and yet I am still here.
Oh yeah and after all that I said something about that guys name in vain.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Believe it or not.. I have Eaten Pork while driving to confession and yet I am still here.
Oh yeah and after all that I said something about that guys name in vain.
News flash: different people have different religious priorities. I'm an atheist, myself. But just because you and I are not religious does not mean we have to mock the OP for her beliefs.

Religious Jews don't eat pork because it violates kashrut, Jewish dietary laws. They don't drive to synagogue during their sabbath (shabbos, or shabbat), because driving is considered "work."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey