Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,915 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have to be at Lincoln Center at 9am next week, and need to drive into NYC. I have no clue how long this will take. How long is the usual backup at the Lincoln Tunnel? Is the Holland Tunnel a better option? Also, I am clueless as to the parking options in the area! Please help--I haven't driven into NYC in the daytime since I moved to Virginia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:51 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,541,217 times
Just saying, most people don't drive into Manhattan especially Monday to Friday because it could take quite a while and then what do you do with the car? parking in that part of town would be about $40.

Hard to predict the traffic, the Holland is better, more stable traffic patterns for taking a car in.

You do have a park n ride around W Orange or I suggest driving to a PATH or train station, their is a subway stop near Lincoln Center.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,400,535 times
Leave your house between 7:00 and 7:30, take the Lincoln and park at Port Authority bus terminal's parking garage. You should get there easily by 8:30, and depending on the weather you can walk to Lincoln Center or hop a subway. The great advantage of parking at the Port is that when you leave you just exit directly into the tunnel, no driving on city streets. I think the cost for a day is about $28 or $30.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 4,915 times
Default Rush hour driving time: Livingston to Lincoln Center

Thanks for the suggestions. I would not drive, but am transporting a puppy, puppy carrier and a puppy pen. The thought of standing in the center aisle of the bus with a yapping puppy gave me chills--same as in subway, so drive I must. Yikes--$12 for the tunnel and $40 for parking?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 PM

You might be able to print an online coupon to lower the parking fee, search online.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,953,271 times
Yeah, with a puppy, a puppy carrier and a puppy pen, I don't think public transportation is an option for you. I don't think they'd even let you on the #77 bus. And it's not practical to get on a super packed PATH train or NYC subway with all that stuff either (even if a conductor didn't yell at you and/or kick you off).

I was gonna say the same thing as Sanderling's post about the Lincoln Tunnel and parking at the PABT. I used to take the Lincoln Tunnel all the time when driving into midtown (from Livingston also). However, in your case, you'd also have a 20 block journey up to Lincoln Center. Definitely walkable, but I don't know about with a puppy carrier AND a puppy pen...some of them are really bulky/heavy. And what do you do if it's raining outside...hold the umbrella with your teeth?

I don't know what your exact plans are for that day, but if I were in your shoes, I'd take a taxi to drop me off right in front of Lincoln Center. There are a couple different taxi companies right in Livingston. Off the top of my head, Livingston Taxi: Livingston TAXI Transportation service in New Jersey area since 1960. . You can get a quote right on line. They've been around for decades. I'm not sure how much it would cost, but driving in by yourself isn't that much cheaper, I don't think...like you said--$12 for toll, $40 for parking...plus about $15 for gas (you're already at $67). I'd get several quotes from taxi services in Livingston and nearby towns. Maybe you might even have a friend or a family member that would be willing to drive you for that amount of money.

After dropping Mr. Puppy off at Lincoln Center, I'd walk to the PABT and take the #77 back to Livingston (About $8 and change, I think). Or take the PATH back to Harrison and have someone pick you up.

As long as whatever taxi service you go with doesn't charge you more than $75 for the drive to Lincoln Center, I think it's worth it. You won't be paying that much more than driving in yourself, plus you get piece of mind, comfort and convenience.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,800,267 times
You can have 2 pets in carriers on trains and buses.....as long as there in carriers....same with the subway and bus system in NYC....of course people often take them out... You can drive to Secaucus and Park there for 10$ for 4hrs.... Its very normal to see Pets on the subway in this region...

Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,953,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You can have 2 pets in carriers on trains and buses.....as long as there in carriers....same with the subway and bus system in NYC....of course people often take them out... You can drive to Secaucus and Park there for 10$ for 4hrs.... Its very normal to see Pets on the subway in this region...
Um, not really. The first and last time I saw a dog on a train was on a JSQ PATH train a couple years ago on a Saturday. It was a maltese. The lady took it out of her Gucci dog purse because the lady sitting next to her was squealing in delight for a peak. She got screamed at by the conductor. I've seen service dogs on the NYC subway. Can't remember seeing any pets in pet carriers. Might have seen some yorkies hidden in purses. When my NYC friends take their pugs, mutts, pits and evil cats to the vet they take cabs.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to be going up and down stairs and escalators, and through turnstiles, fumbling around with my MetroCard, at rush hour, with a full dog carrier in one hand, and a dog pen in the other, and whatever else I have to carry. The dog pen I have is heavy and awkward to drag around. Maybe that's just me. But if people are up for doing this, more power to them.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,800,267 times
It depends on the line & you tend to see this off peak more often....but ive seen big dogs and small dogs , cats , snakes , birds , lizards.....all hauled in carriers on the subway usually going to the Park or the vet... If she can find someone to help her it wouldn't be so bad.... I Personally wouldn't mind helping her....for free...depending on what day she has to go in...

Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 PM

I was thinking, another way would be to take the NY Waterway Ferry, you park at their big station/lot along the Hudson River just N of the Lincoln Tunnel in Weehawken, NJ, take a ferry, then for the same price they have buses that run yoyu around Manhattan. The only thing is 57th St is the closest they go except for a Lincoln Center bus during the evenings.

You'd have to "schlep" 7 blocks or so from 57th St to around 65th St where Lincoln Center is, or catch a cab.

Info at: New York Attractions - NY Waterway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey