Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,524,902 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 01:39 PM

835 posts, read 1,037,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You don't know if he was "innocent" or if he was "shot for no reason." If people get their information from CNN with a picture of Martin riding a horse and Zimmerman in a jumper they might think that. But the actual police report indicates that Zimmerman was pinned on his back and had injuries. Martin was also about 6'2 or 6'3, not 5'5 like in his media pictures.
The actual 911 call proves that Zimmerman was told not to follow Trayvon but he did it anyways.

Martin's girlfriend, who he was on the phone with at the time, confirmed she heard Zimmerman ask Trayvon "What are you doing here?"

Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you gotta love that the kid was 17 years old and all the pictures they were showing of him were at about 12 years old. i guess he didnt look so sweet and innocent at 17.

i can sympathize with him though, i used to walk around with skittles all the time when i was a kid. id hate for someone to shoot me dead when all i had was some skittles (sour skittles are my favorite). of course, i dont walk through other people's gated communities and i dont beat the crap out of people who are following me. not that im saying i can make a final judgment on the case, nobody in the general public can at this point.

He wasn't just walking through someones gated community. His father and his father's fiance lived there. He was visiting them at the time.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM

16,870 posts, read 10,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
The actual 911 call proves that Zimmerman was told not to follow Trayvon but he did it anyways.

Martin's girlfriend, who he was on the phone with at the time, confirmed she heard Zimmerman ask Trayvon "What are you doing here?"
That's just a recommendation. There is nothing illegal about confronting a suspicious person in your yard or gated community and asking him what he is doing there.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,211,553 times
Quote:

Ok, in hindsight that was wrong. In hindsight it was wrong for Travon to have assaulted and pin Zimmerman to the ground. 2 wrongs don't make a right or make it right. 2 alpha dogs and no one backed down.
The other question I had is why is the rent a cop carrying a 9mm, wouldn't a tazer be more appropriate, leaving the guns for the real law enforcement?

Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:

its funny that they hold that against zimmerman. the 911 operator isnt a police officer or lawyer. he was doing his job as neighborhood watch, he should have continued to follow martin.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
its funny that they hold that against zimmerman. the 911 operator isnt a police officer or lawyer. he was doing his job as neighborhood watch, he should have continued to follow martin.

When you are a neighborhood watch captain it isn't your job to catch perps. You are supposed to report all suspicious activity to the police and leave it at that.

That's what the police themselves tell NW captains to do. If you do anything further you are being a vigilante.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The other question I had is why is the rent a cop carrying a 9mm, wouldn't a tazer be more appropriate, leaving the guns for the real law enforcement?
He had a license to conceal carry.

I also agree with what you was saying before. He shouldn't have attacked him.
But, having a strange man follow you around could get scary.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
When you are a neighborhood watch captain it isn't your job to catch perps. You are supposed to report all suspicious activity to the police and leave it at that.

That's what the police themselves tell NW captains to do. If you do anything further you are being a vigilante.
but you can follow them, no? maybe its not according to the neighborhood watch code of conduct, but i think he should follow and i certainly dont think its a violation of the law to follow.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
but you can follow them, no? maybe its not according to the neighborhood watch code of conduct, but i think he should follow and i certainly dont think its a violation of the law to follow.

I don't know why anyone would want to follow someone who could possibly be a dangerous career criminal. Neighborhood watch captains are told not to confront perps for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey