Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

If I didn't know how to pump gas, I certainly wouldn't admit it.
I mean--this is not exactly rocket science.

Even if the OP was gullible enough to be taken in by a fairly obvious April Fool's joke, there is no reason to remain helpless in everyday situations.
Pertaining to cars, every driver needs to know some very basic things, such as...
how to pump gas
how to check tire pressure, oil, and other fluid levels
how to change a tire.

You can't go through life assuming that there will always be a 10 year old child or other person to help you with basic tasks such as this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If I didn't know how to pump gas, I certainly wouldn't admit it.
I mean--this is not exactly rocket science.

Even if the OP was gullible enough to be taken in by a fairly obvious April Fool's joke, there is no reason to remain helpless in everyday situations.
Pertaining to cars, every driver needs to know some very basic things, such as...
how to pump gas
how to check tire pressure, oil, and other fluid levels
how to change a tire.

You can't go through life assuming that there will always be a 10 year old child or other person to help you with basic tasks such as this.
I did find it amusing that people were going to panic over this.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I did find it amusing that people were going to panic over this.
Yeah--of all things to panic about, this should be very low on the worry list.

And, as to not being allowed to pump your own gas in NJ, I want to point out that I do it all the time. I have never had a station attendant object, and--in most cases--they thank me for doing it myself.

Why do I prefer to pump it myself?
Because gas station attendants frequently have a habit of trying to "round off" the purchase price by doing the click-click-click routine with the nozzle, thereby forcing additional gas into the tank after it has shut off for the first time.

For those who are not aware of it, all modern cars have an Evaporative Emissions System, which is designed to take gas fumes and route them to the engine compartment, where they are stored in a carbon canister. However, overfilling the tank (which is essentially what you do if you force more gas into the tank after the pump clicks off for the first time) can cause liquid gasoline to flow into the carbon canister, thereby killing it.

When the carbon canister has been damaged by this type of negligence, your Check Engine Light will come on, and you will be unable to pass the emissions test when you next go to your state MV inspection. The cost of replacing the carbon canister can be $300 or more.

I suppose that if you were setting off for an expedition across the Atacama Desert, it might make sense to try to force that extra 1/4 gallon into your tank. However, for those of us who drive in more civilized areas of the world, gas stations are rarely that far apart.

The bottom line is--whether your tank is filled by you or by a station attendant, NEVER force more gas into the tank after the pump clicks off for the first time.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:37 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Ack !! As of August 1, 2012, NJ residents MAY have to start pumping their own gas !!

With no end in sight for the rising gas prices, the State of New Jersey has finally decided to go the way of 48 other states and switch over to self serve gas pumps.

Changing over to self serve will save us an estimated 5 cents per gallon of gas at the expense of 20,000 jobs.

State of New Jersey to Switch Over to Self Serve Gas Stations « You Don't Know Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's an April 1 story. Not buying it.
Will it still count as 20,000 jobs saved?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:00 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
"MAY" have to.......

Won't happen.

I pump my own gas in the old vette, always have.

A lot would have to change in order to make this work too much investment for small stations.

A better idea would be to give lessons for the attendants on language, counting, attention and speed vs random laconic strolling. It would be valuable to have the attendant come to the window to hear the order rather than standing near the back seat mumbling something unintelligible.

If pump your own ever comes to NJ it should then be legal to buy and shoot off fireworks on the 4th of July.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:03 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
I'm not sure I was in a panic over it, but I did believe it ... Shame on me for not checking source ... Additionally, I have to admit, as embarrassing as this is .... I don't know how to pump gas.

I suppose it maybe time I learn !

Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
LOL...we're so babied in nj.

but, if i'm the one paying, why am i also the one providing the service?

it's like paying a restaurant to cook your own lunch.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Do people never drive outside of the state of NJ?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:39 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Good lord, I thought I was about to have a heart attack. I was really starting to panic....

Old 04-07-2012, 09:49 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do people never drive outside of the state of NJ?
No reason to.

We have it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: