Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:48 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times

Advertisements

We should pump our own gas,,, dammit, and THEY should be paying US to watch TV, not the other way around. You people have it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I'm for that, I'd be rich, lol.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:08 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
We should pump our own gas,,, dammit, and THEY should be paying US to watch TV, not the other way around. You people have it wrong.
In Obama's 2nd term.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:43 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
The last time I got gas in NJ, the attendant couldn't work the credit card reader. I got out of the car, swiped the card myself and pumped the gas. He was off pumping gas in one of the other six cars. Self service is already here by virtue of incompetent attendants. No one pumps gas into my bike, nor do they ever try.

Quote:
I want to point out that I do it all the time.
I've seen some pumps that need a code entry first. Probably to lock out a cash sale.
Quote:

your Check Engine Light will come on
Incorrect seating of the cap will also throw a code that will take some tiome to clear. Simply seating the cap properly does not clear it.

Quote:
A lot would have to change in order to make this work too much investment for small stations.
Absolutely not. Stations would not be forced to change over to self service. there are a few older style stations up here although I rarely see a pump thast isn't self service capable. The older pumps were removed when gas hit a dollar and replaced by ones that had CC readers installed.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:03 PM

638 posts, read 2,242,915 times
Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind not being allowed to pump your own gas in Jersey? I moved here two years ago and I think I have gotten used to it, however in certain cases especially on the turnpike, I cant stand waiting in line to have my gas pumped. Im still not sure if you are supposed to tip or not?... The first few times I had my gas pumped here I gave the guy a tip and they looked at me like I was insaine so now I just dont tip. I just think its strange that the government does not trust us to pump our own gas. Is it really that dangerous?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 PM

532 posts, read 1,464,499 times
Judging from the way some people drive in NJ, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them if they were pumping gas.

I've seen many people driving who don't have a clue what they are doing,and have no idea of the cars surrounding them.

Won't even go into the smokers.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind not being allowed to pump your own gas in Jersey? I moved here two years ago and I think I have gotten used to it, however in certain cases especially on the turnpike, I cant stand waiting in line to have my gas pumped. Im still not sure if you are supposed to tip or not?... The first few times I had my gas pumped here I gave the guy a tip and they looked at me like I was insaine so now I just dont tip. I just think its strange that the government does not trust us to pump our own gas. Is it really that dangerous?
Here are some I found:
Wikipedia: "New Jersey banned self-service gasoline in 1949 after lobbying by service station owners. Proponents of the ban cite safety and jobs as reasons to keep the ban.[17] Likewise, the 1951 Oregon statute banning self-service gasoline lists 17 different justifications, including the flammability of gas, the risk of crime from customers leaving their car, the toxic fumes emitted by gasoline, and the jobs created by requiring mini service."

This is really written about Oregon, but I'd guess the reasons are similar:

• People with training in pumping are better at keeping down fire risk
  • It is nearly impossible to enforce safety standards on the driving public
  • Seniors and disabled drivers can’t get adequate help at self-serve stations, and are instead forced to find a full-service outlet and pay a higher price
  • Oregon’s rainy climate leads to more slick spots at gas stations, meaning higher liability insurance rates
  • Decreased maintenance of pumps because they aren’t regularly monitored
  • Self-service contributes to unemployment – especially among young people
  • Exposure to toxic fumes is a health hazard
  • Toxic fume exposure is heightened for pregnant women
  • Gas drive-off thefts are cut down with the law
  • Children are sometimes left unattended when customers go to make payment

Old 04-08-2012, 07:47 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
I pump my own on two of my cars. The others, no.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Drat! I thought my home state was finally going to take a leap into the 21st century!

I really don't care if the residents need to be coddled and have some flunky gas-jockey pump fuel into their cars, but out of stater's should be allowed to pump their own while visiting your state.

Like a previous poster, I have invested alot of time and effort in my vehicles to keep them properly maintained mechanically and visually. I hate the thought of some uncaring clown smacking that nozzle against the car and / or splashing fuel down the side of it.

Luckily most times we hit NJ, we can find a station where the workers don't care about doing their jobs, so they look the other way when you pump your own.

Oh well...someday they'll "get it" and modernize things.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Drat! I thought my home state was finally going to take a leap into the 21st century!

I really don't care if the residents need to be coddled and have some flunky gas-jockey pump fuel into their cars, but out of stater's should be allowed to pump their own while visiting your state.

Like a previous poster, I have invested alot of time and effort in my vehicles to keep them properly maintained mechanically and visually. I hate the thought of some uncaring clown smacking that nozzle against the car and / or splashing fuel down the side of it.

Luckily most times we hit NJ, we can find a station where the workers don't care about doing their jobs, so they look the other way when you pump your own.

Oh well...someday they'll "get it" and modernize things.
Pumping your own gas is not exactly rocket since,48 of 50 states allow it. However NJ gas prices are cheaper than both adjoining states of NY and PA.

Lots of NJ drivers will pump their own gas just to save some time but there are a lot of NJ drivers love the fact they don't have to get out of their warm cars when it's 20 degrees and snowing or raining.

I also prefer to eat in restaurants where they bring the food to your table and not wait in some line with nasty kids drooling over the entrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: