Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM

168 posts, read 299,673 times

Advertisements

KoalaNJ,
This should help.

Where are you moving from? St. Louis
Why are you moving? New job for husband
Where will you be working? Seacaucus

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget? 900,000 -- 1,200,000
What kind of place r u looking for? Single family house. 4 or 5 bedroom. Updated kitchen and bath would be nice.

Will anyone be moving with you? Family of five (kids entering 6th grade in fall) and a wheaten terrier
Do you want/need good public schools? Yes!

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you would like to live in : Family friendly, block parties, downtown area with shops and restaurants would be an added plus, good gym, community pool, a town with a newcomers club

List the 3 most important things:
1. Commute to Seacaucus
2. Good public schools
3. welcoming town (sports, scouts for kids), book/bunco groups for me, newcomers club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM

rscalzo,

Thanks for reply. You mentioned a shuttle from the Seacaucus station. Who or what operates them?

Appreciate the tip on Millburn. The extra time at the toll booth would move it to the bottom of our list.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Bump

Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post
lfsr1544,

Thanks for your reply.

Ramsey, Ridgewood and Milburn all are appealing to me. Are they really a 30 minute commute to Seacaus? Would that be by train or car?

If you are talking about a 30 minute commute by train, the problem is that his job is not within walking distance from the station. Are there cabs that he could catch from the station to work?
Hubby will work long hours -- not sure he would get off in time to catch the last express train -- which I read leaves at 6:30.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
More like 35-40 from Ridgewood and 45 from Ramsey by car depending on traffic on Rte 17 & Rte 3. Both Ridgewood and Ramsey have trains to Secaucus. There are cabs at the station. Also, some companies and industrial parks run their own jitney buses to and from the Secaucus train station.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Your high budget paradoxically makes it hard to suggest towns, since money/value doesn't really come into play so much.

You would be happy with Ridgewood or any of the other Ridgewood area towns (like say Glen Rock). You would probably be happy with Tenafly (and again similar area towns too) as well (although in all honesty, although I'm usually a pretty strong booster of the northeastern Bergen county area I get the sense you would prefer Ridgewood - no particular reason mind, just an intuition). Can't really speak to Millburn or Glen Ridge.

What it comes down to is you have a lot of good options that are all going to be about 30 minutes away, up to 45 with traffic, without a very good means to choose between them.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 04-12-2012 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM

EBWick,

Thanks for the info. I'll have my husband check to see if his new company has a jitney bus. It would be nice to have options for getting to work.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM

ALackOfCreativity,

What are the northeastern Bergen county towns that would be a 30-45 minute commute to Seacaucus with good public schools? Are there towns we should check out? Keep in mind that I do not know the area at all and am going up next week to visit.

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
tripmom, I say continue to look at Ridgewood. You have the budget for it, it is a very family-oriented town and the schools are very good.

Ridgewood was one of the first real towns established in that part of Bergen County (as opposed to surrounding towns that were first mostly farmland), and so has an older, quaint look to its downtown area. They do have a newcomers club. There is a town pool (Graydon pool). There is a well-respected hospital in town (and lots of doctors). You would definitely find activities in town such as book clubs for you, and--it's just Ridgewood--sort of the quintessential NJ suburb--they have everything for their children. That's just the kind of town it is. Big parade on the 4th of July. Big Christmas Tree Lighting event in December.

The last link seems to be a real estate website, but I just looked at it and their "top ten" reasons are pretty valid.

Official Website - The Village of Ridgewood

YWCA of Bergen County ? Newcomers Club

Top Ten Reasons to Relocate to Ridgewood New Jersey | Ridgewood Front Porch

Old 04-13-2012, 01:06 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post
KoalaNJ,
This should help.

Where are you moving from? St. Louis
Why are you moving? New job for husband
Where will you be working? Seacaucus

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget? 900,000 -- 1,200,000
What kind of place r u looking for? Single family house. 4 or 5 bedroom. Updated kitchen and bath would be nice.

Will anyone be moving with you? Family of five (kids entering 6th grade in fall) and a wheaten terrier
Do you want/need good public schools? Yes!

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you would like to live in : Family friendly, block parties, downtown area with shops and restaurants would be an added plus, good gym, community pool, a town with a newcomers club

List the 3 most important things:
1. Commute to Seacaucus
2. Good public schools
3. welcoming town (sports, scouts for kids), book/bunco groups for me, newcomers club

I think one of your main problems is finding a nice upscale community with good schools close to Secaucus, as there really aren't any. To find the type of community you are looking for you will have to tolerate a bit longer commute.

As others have mentioned, Ridgewood and Glen Rock are possibilities, I'd also add Hillsdale. For top tier schools, and a more suburban small town feel with much lower taxes I'd go with Madison or the Chathams in Morris County, (but your trade off is a longer commute) Millburn should also be considered, as it fits your criteria well, though it does have the sky high Essex County taxes (ouch!) you'd have to endure.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 04-13-2012, 12:44 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,454 times
wow, that's a big budget, I would consider that wealthy family.

I think ridgewood is a very nice location, so is Glenn Ridge. You will find something very nice even in those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey