Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,170 times

Advertisements

Brick is very safe always top 5 safest in the country and been voted safest many times. Been here 7 years and can vouch for it. A lot of shopping, close to the beaches and easy access to the parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM

17 posts, read 19,841 times
We have kids and are in seattle considering moving to bayonne in july what do you think? Or any other suggestions are more than welcomed!!

Old 05-04-2012, 01:09 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEBBA View Post
We have kids and are in seattle considering moving to bayonne in july what do you think? Or any other suggestions are more than welcomed!!

Just a few days ago, the NJ Dept of Education released statistics on the 2011 graduation rates for all public NJ high schools. These statistics took federal standards into account for the first time, which resulted in a lower percentage of graduating students than previous stats had indicated.

In some of the "better" towns, the graduation rate dropped to the mid-90%ile range, and some inner city high schools (Plainfield comes to mind here) had less than 1/3 of their HS students earning diplomas in 2011. Where am I going with this? I simply wanted to point out that Bayonne HS had a graduation rate of only 78.5%, which was one of the lowest in Hudson County. Even if your kids are not yet of HS age, these stats should give some indication of the state of affairs in the Bayonne public schools.

Which towns had better graduation rates? Here is a link to an article on this topic:
N.J. high school graduation rates decrease under new federally mandated calculation method | NJ.com

Please note that within the text of the article, there is a pull-down menu that allows you to display one county at a time, complete with the graduation rates of the public high schools in each county. Personally, I would aim for a district that is at least in the low 90th% range in order for your kids to be in a good educational environment.

Last edited by Retriever; 05-04-2012 at 01:17 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 01:28 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,749,931 times
Heeba--I too wanted to give you some data on Bayonne, the schools are not that great (the high schools ranks 5 out of 10 and most of the elemtary schools rank at 4) the median income for the area is lower than the state average and the majority of the residents do not have college degrees.

Here's the link to the CD profile on Bayonne //www.city-data.com/city/Bayonne-New-Jersey.html

As for anecdotal information all I know is that when we first relocated to New Jersey, the lower rents in Bayonne lured us in for a look, it's not a terrible place but you can definitely see why the rents are lower also it's a bit disconnected from the rest of NJ (if you look on a map you can see what I mean) so you will be dealing with long of travel times just to get to anything outside of Bayonne (supermarkets and such won't be a problem they have their own but any other shopping and amenities are a bit of a hassle to get to and theres a lot of traffic on that bridge). If I recall correctly the commute to NYC isn't so bad from there. If you already know people there it might be an ok place to live just so you have some kind of support network but don't expect excellent schools for your kids. I'm not familiar with Seattle to compare Bayonne to one of it's neighborhoods but I will tell you that personally I would live in one of the outer boros of NYC before moving to Bayonne. It's not exactly a "desirable" neighborhood.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Just a few days ago, the NJ Dept of Education released statistics on the 2011 graduation rates for all public NJ high schools. These statistics took federal standards into account for the first time, which resulted in a lower percentage of graduating students than previous stats had indicated.

In some of the "better" towns, the graduation rate dropped to the mid-90%ile range, and some inner city high schools (Plainfield comes to mind here) had less than 1/3 of their HS students earning diplomas in 2011. Where am I going with this? I simply wanted to point out that Bayonne HS had a graduation rate of only 78.5%, which was one of the lowest in Hudson County. Even if your kids are not yet of HS age, these stats should give some indication of the state of affairs in the Bayonne public schools.

Which towns had better graduation rates? Here is a link to an article on this topic:
N.J. high school graduation rates decrease under new federally mandated calculation method | NJ.com

Please note that within the text of the article, there is a pull-down menu that allows you to display one county at a time, complete with the graduation rates of the public high schools in each county. Personally, I would aim for a district that is at least in the low 90th% range in order for your kids to be in a good educational environment.

Thanks and I don't know anything about bayonne my husband knows a family there only
do you have any other suggestions?

Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Heeba--I too wanted to give you some data on Bayonne, the schools are not that great (the high schools ranks 5 out of 10 and most of the elemtary schools rank at 4) the median income for the area is lower than the state average and the majority of the residents do not have college degrees.

Here's the link to the CD profile on Bayonne //www.city-data.com/city/Bayonne-New-Jersey.html

As for anecdotal information all I know is that when we first relocated to New Jersey, the lower rents in Bayonne lured us in for a look, it's not a terrible place but you can definitely see why the rents are lower also it's a bit disconnected from the rest of NJ (if you look on a map you can see what I mean) so you will be dealing with long of travel times just to get to anything outside of Bayonne (supermarkets and such won't be a problem they have their own but any other shopping and amenities are a bit of a hassle to get to and theres a lot of traffic on that bridge). If I recall correctly the commute to NYC isn't so bad from there. If you already know people there it might be an ok place to live just so you have some kind of support network but don't expect excellent schools for your kids. I'm not familiar with Seattle to compare Bayonne to one of it's neighborhoods but I will tell you that personally I would live in one of the outer boros of NYC before moving to Bayonne. It's not exactly a "desirable" neighborhood.

Thanks for the data and everything where would you suggest we live outer borders of newyork anything helps

Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,749,931 times
Queens will probably be the cheapest option with the best schools for the money. What ethnicity are you and do you prefer to be surrounded by that group (have access to those ingredients restuarants etc.)

Off the top of my head I'm thinking woodside, jackson heights, astoria and sunnyside might have options in your price range. Be sure to check the school rankings for each particular apartment though there's lots of elementary schools in NYC and even within districts performance can vary greatly. Also check out the NYC board for suggestions.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Queens will probably be the cheapest option with the best schools for the money. What ethnicity are you and do you prefer to be surrounded by that group (have access to those ingredients restuarants etc.)

Off the top of my head I'm thinking woodside, jackson heights, astoria and sunnyside might have options in your price range. Be sure to check the school rankings for each particular apartment though there's lots of elementary schools in NYC and even within districts performance can vary greatly. Also check out the NYC board for suggestions.

Isn't queen mostly hispanic, I was thinking a mixed neighbourhood I am Arab if that makes any differrence and don't mind being in a diverse safe city

Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEBBA View Post
Isn't queen mostly hispanic, I was thinking a mixed neighbourhood I am Arab if that makes any differrence and don't mind being in a diverse safe city

The Borough of Queens is one of the most ethnically and racially diverse areas in the entire country. Virtually any group that you can name is represented there, including an Arab presence in Astoria. For more details, take a look at Wikipedia's information on the demographics of the population in Queens:

Demographics of Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Hebba, Queens might be better than Jersey for you. You are still in NYC there so you can ride the subway to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey