Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,615 times

Advertisements

We are used to Comcast but it is not offered in our new home. Our options are Verizon Fios or Cablevision.

Which is better?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
I had Comcast in Livingston. I have Cablevision where I am now in Morris County.

I am not happy with Cablevision at all. There is a noticeable lag when you are changing channels or calling up menus. If you're used to Comcast, you will notice this right away and be annoyed. At first, you'll think, well, maybe this thing just needs to warm up and it will get faster. No. That doesn't happen. Ever. It's just inherently wonky. The cable box also randomly gets 'stuck' and you have to do that thing where you unplug everything, wait, cross your fingers, blink twice, wriggle your nose and say abracadabra. The cable box will then flash 'hold' for about 10 minutes, and then say 'boot' for another 10 minutes, before it's up and running again. Also, Cablevision's 'Free On Demand' selection is not as robust as Comcast's. I felt kind of gypped when I realized this.

In addition, the cable guy that initially came to install my stuff didn't seem very knowledgeable about the cable modem/wireless side of the installation.

Lastly, you will get telemarketing calls from Cablevision EVERY DAY. Well, OK, that's kind of an exaggeration. I do get 3- or 4-day respites where they don't call me at all. However, they call me on a regular basis. Very regular. Sometimes multiple times a day. If you check the 'missed call' section of my cell phone, other than that one annoying relative I'm avoiding, it's mostly ALL Cablevision. I am on the Do Not Call List. Yes, I know that any company you've done business with in the past year can legally still make soliciting calls to your number, even if you are on the Do Not Call List. However, despite this, Comcast NEVER called me.

I've never had Verizon FiOS, so I can't comment on its quality of service, but even I am tempted to switch to them...even thought I HATE VERIZON as a company. Unfortunately, FiOS is not available in my area.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM

110 posts, read 204,855 times
I have Cablevision and would have to agree with all of the issues. The lag is one of the most annoying problems to me.

I don't know about about the other.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 PM

777 posts, read 2,379,255 times
Definitely Verizon. Better picture quality, less issues (cable going out, rebooting the box, route problems). Previously had Cablevision and would never go back, even with the big discounts they are now offering me.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
FIOS. If you're in a FIOS area, always go with FIOS.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:05 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,615 times
Thanks! We have Comcast here in Livingston and are moving to Florham Park. My husband is definitely pro Fios.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We are used to Comcast but it is not offered in our new home. Our options are Verizon Fios or Cablevision.

Which is better?

Thanks!
FIOS is the better choice regardless of cost. Less compression, better picture quality, much more reliable Internet, much faster Internet, and many other intangibles.

There is no rational argument that one can make to promote Cablevision over FIOS. The choice is incontrovertible.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:12 AM

76 posts, read 174,220 times
I'ver had Comcast, FIOS, and Cablevision (three times). FIOS has superior picture quality and internet (Cablevision's is horrific). One of most annoying things about Cablevision is that their channels are in no logical order. As a result, you end up spending tons of times trying to find channels.

Would never have gone back to Cablevision, but FIOS is not offered in place I now live.

Summary: FIOS > Comcast > Cablevision

Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
Fios is offered near me but their cable is through directtv and I can't stand satelite cable. I remember having it years ago and everytime we had bad weather poof no picture

Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM

63 posts, read 182,336 times
We've had FiOS for almost 4 years and have had nothing but great service. Fast Internet speeds, great picture quality and channel selection, and excellent customer service the couple of times we've had to use it. Good value, too. We paid quite a bit more for inferior service from Time Warner Cable at our last place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey