Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 PM

8 posts, read 40,563 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are first time home buyers and having a hard time looking for a good buyer's agent.

We've tried asking family and friends for recommendations but the problem is none of them bought/own a home in the towns that we are interested in (Nutley, Rutherford, Hasbrouck Heights, Hoboken, Weehawken), so those realtors wouldn't be as helpful since they won't have expertise in the right towns.

Trying to look for reviews and recommendations online seems really difficult too because most of the time people start gushing about some realtor they used to sell their house. Just doing area searches leads to a lot of realtors who have a ton of listings in the towns we're looking, but that's bad! We don't want a buyer's agent who also is selling the same houses we might be interested in. We're not even sure we want a buyer's agent who works for a brokerage that is selling in the same town. Conflict of interest, no thanks. :\

Is there just a shortage of NJ realtors who are buyer's agents only? The only ones I kept finding searching online were "Buyers Advisors" in Bayonne, which might work for Hudson County I suppose, but I doubt they have as much expertise in the other towns. They've certainly done a good job making themselves appear in search engines heh.

So where are all the other buyer's agencies? I just want more choices of realtors! My husband is already skeptical about all realtors in general so we're going to need to find one that we can really click with personality wise, and this lack of options is super frustrating. *sigh*
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM

128 posts, read 355,226 times
You shouldn't be concerned with an agent who works in the same brokerage as the listing. Whomever you choose to be your agent is just that ... YOUR agent. They have a responsibility to you, so even if someone in their office has a listing that you wanted to buy, they would negotiate it the same as they would any other listing. There aren't many agents who are just buyer's agents, as that wouldn't be enough income to support them. They need to be active in both areas, dealing with buyers and listing with sellers. A good agent is a good agent. They will show you any houses on the market that fit your criteria, offer suggestions to maybe think outside the box and help you get from offer to closing. I think you are correct, find an agent that you "click with" and if they are good at their job, you will be able to tell pretty quickly that they have you best interest at heart.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJbun View Post
My husband and I are first time home buyers and having a hard time looking for a good buyer's agent.

We've tried asking family and friends for recommendations but the problem is none of them bought/own a home in the towns that we are interested in (Nutley, Rutherford, Hasbrouck Heights, Hoboken, Weehawken), so those realtors wouldn't be as helpful since they won't have expertise in the right towns.

Trying to look for reviews and recommendations online seems really difficult too because most of the time people start gushing about some realtor they used to sell their house. Just doing area searches leads to a lot of realtors who have a ton of listings in the towns we're looking, but that's bad! We don't want a buyer's agent who also is selling the same houses we might be interested in. We're not even sure we want a buyer's agent who works for a brokerage that is selling in the same town. Conflict of interest, no thanks. :\

Is there just a shortage of NJ realtors who are buyer's agents only? The only ones I kept finding searching online were "Buyers Advisors" in Bayonne, which might work for Hudson County I suppose, but I doubt they have as much expertise in the other towns. They've certainly done a good job making themselves appear in search engines heh.

So where are all the other buyer's agencies? I just want more choices of realtors! My husband is already skeptical about all realtors in general so we're going to need to find one that we can really click with personality wise, and this lack of options is super frustrating. *sigh*
You are wisely seeking to avoid dual agency. You simply need to find an experienced agent and notify them up front before working with them that you do not want dual agency and if that you develop an interest in any of the homes that are listed by their firm that you will be using an agent from another firm for the negotiations. Honesty works best in this case.

By the way, this is my arrangement with all my buyers. When we first meet I advise them that I will be happy to show them homes listed by my agency, but that I will not represent them if they decide to pursue making an offer. This works well and nobody ever has to question their agent's loyalty or advocacy.

Your situation is a bit complicated because your area includes 3 MLS systems - Hudson County MLS, Garden State MLS, and New Jersey MLS. You also want your agent to be a member of all 3 of these systems if at all possible.

Your best bet is an experienced agent from a smaller firm that does not have a ton of listings in the towns in which you have interest. You should be able to find that without too much trouble. I also have to say that you are likely going to be better off with a somewhat younger agent. Most older agents are used to dual agency and love to "double dip" and see no ethical problem with it. Of course, they are tragically incorrect, but that's just the state of the industry.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,714 times
I am not sure why you are so concerned with finding a buyers agent only. I really think that you are over thinking things. You just need somebody who knows the area you are interested in, is accessible 7 days a week and is relatively pleasant. Realtors talk the talk and walk the walk. They will lie to get you to buy a house. It doesn't mean they are bad people; it is their job. They are SALES PEOPLE!!! They want to get the deal done regardless. Just don't sign anything. You don't have to sign to have an agent show you around.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I am not sure why you are so concerned with finding a buyers agent only. I really think that you are over thinking things. You just need somebody who knows the area you are interested in, is accessible 7 days a week and is relatively pleasant. Realtors talk the talk and walk the walk. They will lie to get you to buy a house. It doesn't mean they are bad people; it is their job. They are SALES PEOPLE!!! They want to get the deal done regardless. Just don't sign anything. You don't have to sign to have an agent show you around.
This statement is complete BS. I talk people OUT of buying houses, never the opposite. Perhaps you don't understand the profession. I just hope you are not displaying the psychological defense mechanism known as projection, whereby you assume others do their job in the same way you do yours. And the OP is not overthinking anything. A buyer's agent seeks to procure the house for the lowest possible price for his client, and is advocating for the buyer's position, and looking for information that would lead the seller to accept a lower offer and looking for trouble with the location and the house to help prevent the buyer from making a mistake. The seller's agent is supposed to do the opposite, and protect the seller from unqualified potential buyers and keep all information in confidence to prevent a buyer from using it against his client, while convincing the buyer and his agent that the house is a good value at or near its asking price.

One person cannot do both, even though it is legal to try. The OP is trying to avoid that, and rightfully so.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM

Are u a realtor? We r closing on a house in May. We just went through this. Buyer agents want to get deals done just as badly as sellers agents. Did our realtor tell us that a house was good or bad? Sure. Did she want us to buy a house quickly. Sure. Just seems silly to spend so much mental space on picking a realtor. Find somebody, look up the mls, look at houses, do some research, go to open houses on your own, etc. With everythong online now, I wouldn't be surprised if the role of realtors is on track with travel agent. We coukd have done everything on our own until attorney review.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Are u a realtor? We r closing on a house in May. We just went through this. Buyer agents want to get deals done just as badly as sellers agents. Did our realtor tell us that a house was good or bad? Sure. Did she want us to buy a house quickly. Sure. Just seems silly to spend so much mental space on picking a realtor. Find somebody, look up the mls, look at houses, do some research, go to open houses on your own, etc. With everythong online now, I wouldn't be surprised if the role of realtors is on track with travel agent. We coukd have done everything on our own until attorney review.
So it was projection...

Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 AM

Ummmm....exhausting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey