U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 11,285 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm presently a resident of Illinois, and will start working in lower Manhattan later this summer. I'm trying to figure out where to live in NJ.

First, here's the information requested:

Where are you coming from? Illinois
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working? If NYC, what part of NYC? lower/downtown Manhattan, NYC

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget? $800-$1400/month
What kind of place are you looking for? a studio or 1-bedroom apartment

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? No, just myself.
Do you need/want good public schools? No (a few years down the road, so not really a big consideration right now).

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Would prefer walkable small or mid-sized towns over big cities. Would like to live at walking distance to public transportation (planning on catching a train to Hoboken and then taking the PATH to WTC, for work)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
[1] 60-75 minutes door-to-door commute via public transportation (I won't have a car for quite some time)
[2] very safe w.r.t crime, and perceptibly safe from natural calamities like flooding, etc.
[3] ethnically diverse, if possible

Based on my commuting time needs, I thought of living in a town that was ~20 mins. away from Hoboken via train. I'm guessing that the waiting time to transfer to PATH at Hoboken, the PATH ride, and the walk to my office from WTC PATH station would then be a further 35-45 minutes?

I was thinking of living close to the Rutherford train station, in East Rutherford or Rutherford. I have the following questions:

[1] Are there other towns on train lines that I should be thinking of? Would still like to have the 60-75 minutes door-to-door commute, walkability, safety and rent in the above range.

[2] With respect to floods, is the area near the Rutherford train station safer than the areas closer to the Passaic and Hackensack rivers? Or is all of Rutherford/East Rutherford prone to flooding? What parts of the towns, if any, are mostly unaffected by flooding?

[3] Does one need a car for grocery shopping, going to the bank, etc. in Rutherford/East Rutherford? Or is this manageable by public transport/walking?

[4] Is it true that one can use the monthly pass for NJ trains on NJ buses? I ask this because there could be times when I'm in NYC quite late in the night (late enough to miss the last train from Hoboken to home). So I was thinking of taking the bus from Port Authority bus terminal back into NJ. Or would I have to get a separate bus pass (maybe because there are certain "zones" in which the train pass can be used on the buses)?

Please do point out anything that I may have missed on considering.

Sorry for the huge posting, and thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM

71,425 posts, read 67,487,762 times
I think Rutherford is a good choice. You should be able to find an apartment at the mid-to-higher point of your rent range, there and I think you'll be able to get around without a car, although I don't know the details of food stores and their locations in Rutherford, but there is a downtown areas with banks and stores. Yes, you can use the train pass for the bus.

I don't usually hear of flooding in Rutherford.

Hackensack is another town to look at for your price range and for walkability and public transportation. However, some areas are considered safer than others.

You could also possibly live in Fair Lawn, which has good train and bus service and a number of apartment complexes. If you live in an apartment off of Fair Lawn Avenue, you can catch a train, catch a bus, walk to a grocery store and pretty much whatever else you'd need.

I've known people who lived in this complex. They seemed OK there. It's very close to the Radburn train station (you can see it from the train), walkable to a grocery store, a pharmacy, a bakery, a butcher shop, a dry-cleaner, at least one deli, and a local bar called the Dutch House. Train ride's 25 - 35 minutes to Hoboken.

http://www.trulia.com/rental-communi...Lawn-NJ-07410/

Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 PM

513 posts, read 1,081,952 times
Fair Lawn (Radburn section) is wonderful for transport and walkability and safety. Rutherford may, however, have better late night options for the bus from Port Authority. Both are lovely towns. Good luck to you!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 AM

4 posts, read 11,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think Rutherford is a good choice. You should be able to find an apartment at the mid-to-higher point of your rent range, there and I think you'll be able to get around without a car, although I don't know the details of food stores and their locations in Rutherford, but there is a downtown areas with banks and stores. Yes, you can use the train pass for the bus.

I don't usually hear of flooding in Rutherford.

Hackensack is another town to look at for your price range and for walkability and public transportation. However, some areas are considered safer than others.

You could also possibly live in Fair Lawn, which has good train and bus service and a number of apartment complexes. If you live in an apartment off of Fair Lawn Avenue, you can catch a train, catch a bus, walk to a grocery store and pretty much whatever else you'd need.

I've known people who lived in this complex. They seemed OK there. It's very close to the Radburn train station (you can see it from the train), walkable to a grocery store, a pharmacy, a bakery, a butcher shop, a dry-cleaner, at least one deli, and a local bar called the Dutch House. Train ride's 25 - 35 minutes to Hoboken.

Fair Lawn Park Estates, Fair Lawn - Trulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
Fair Lawn (Radburn section) is wonderful for transport and walkability and safety. Rutherford may, however, have better late night options for the bus from Port Authority. Both are lovely towns. Good luck to you!
Thanks for your replies Mightyqueen801 and maryanne10! I heard that there is a lot of crime in Paterson. Does part of it spill over into Fair Lawn? How does Fair Lawn compare in terms of safety with Rutherford/East Rutherford (especially the Radburn area)?

Just curious, would you suspect that people who live close to a train station have a hard time sleeping in the night (maybe because of some freight trains plying late in the night)? I suppose that might be the tradeoff when wanting to live within walking distance to the train station.

Also, how often should I expect/be prepared to experience a delay when commuting by the NJ transit trains? Are they mostly on schedule, or are they delayed more often than not?

Would also like to hear from people living in Rutherford/East Rutherford about their town Where do you guys go for grocery shopping, post office, bank, haircuts , etc.? Are these places accessible by walking or a short ride on public transport?

Thanks again for your help! city-data.com and its forum-posters rock! Your help is truly appreciated

Old 04-15-2012, 02:26 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,092,361 times
Theres Harrison , Kearny , Bayonne , Weehawken , Hackensack , which would be better for a car free lifestyle...all have 24/7 buses with frequent service... Rutherford is to car dependent , same with Fair Lawn.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:47 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,114,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyquestionsinmymind View Post
Thanks for your replies Mightyqueen801 and maryanne10! I heard that there is a lot of crime in Paterson. Does part of it spill over into Fair Lawn? How does Fair Lawn compare in terms of safety with Rutherford/East Rutherford (especially the Radburn area)?

Just curious, would you suspect that people who live close to a train station have a hard time sleeping in the night (maybe because of some freight trains plying late in the night)? I suppose that might be the tradeoff when wanting to live within walking distance to the train station.

Also, how often should I expect/be prepared to experience a delay when commuting by the NJ transit trains? Are they mostly on schedule, or are they delayed more often than not?

Would also like to hear from people living in Rutherford/East Rutherford about their town Where do you guys go for grocery shopping, post office, bank, haircuts , etc.? Are these places accessible by walking or a short ride on public transport?

Thanks again for your help! city-data.com and its forum-posters rock! Your help is truly appreciated

Crime in Fair Lawn is very low, and Radburn is probably the most affluent and desirable section of the town. Freight can be somewhat loud, but its very brief and not that frequent. I can't remember being woken up by a train.

As far as NJ Transit trains go they are very reliable on the Bergen County line and the PATH is quite good as well. That is probably tops or close to it for most reliable, on-time combination for getting into the city.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
Crime in Fair Lawn is very low, and Radburn is probably the most affluent and desirable section of the town. Freight can be somewhat loud, but its very brief and not that frequent. I can't remember being woken up by a train.

As far as NJ Transit trains go they are very reliable on the Bergen County line and the PATH is quite good as well. That is probably tops or close to it for most reliable, on-time combination for getting into the city.
^^^ I second this. I've been commuting by train to NYC for more than 30 years, most of that on the Bergen County line. It's very reliable.

I also lived for a time not near a train station, but with tracks running behind the property. You get used to it very quickly.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Theres Harrison , Kearny , Bayonne , Weehawken , Hackensack , which would be better for a car free lifestyle...all have 24/7 buses with frequent service... Rutherford is to car dependent , same with Fair Lawn.
Yes, OP, these would all be better for walkability, but except Weekhawken and Hackensack, they are more "city" than "town", and all are far more congested and seedier-looking than Fair Lawn or Rutherford. Except maybe Weehawkin--I don't think that has a seedy area. But the others do. Harrison's the worst of that list. It's improving, but it has a heck of a long way to go. Rutherford and Fair Lawn are both much more comfortable places in terms of lack of crime.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,092,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, OP, these would all be better for walkability, but except Weekhawken and Hackensack, they are more "city" than "town", and all are far more congested and seedier-looking than Fair Lawn or Rutherford. Except maybe Weehawkin--I don't think that has a seedy area. But the others do. Harrison's the worst of that list. It's improving, but it has a heck of a long way to go. Rutherford and Fair Lawn are both much more comfortable places in terms of lack of crime.
Seedy...Hackensack's bad areas or blocks are a far cry from the Inner city ghettos of NYC. Harrison isn't that bad , just the run down Industrial part which is separate from the rest of the town...

Old 04-15-2012, 02:27 PM

5,670 posts, read 15,027,222 times
I would add some Union County towns on train lines like Rahway or Cranford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey