Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM

4 posts, read 18,013 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm starting a new job in NJ (two locations, in Newark and Livingston), which means until we move in a month or so I will be commuting from the Upper West Side (in the 70s). My hours start very early, so getting to work is a breeze, but getting back... looking at the traffic patterns, it seems like the Lincoln Tunnel is horrendously congested going into NY in the PM even though it is "reverse commute", and the traffic on 495 can be bumper-to-bumper all the way back to I-95.

I know the GWB is no picnic either, and an accident can change everything, but on average, would it be better to bypass the Lincoln Tunnel to take the GWB--> West Side highway back home? Or would you still get home faster taking the Lincoln because of the shorter distance even though you spend a lot more time crawling?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,786 times
The GWB is much better than the Lincoln Tunnel IMO. Traffic is usually worse getting out of the city than going in at that time (as long as there are no Yankees games). The great thing about the bridge is there are many short cuts you can take to bypass traffic on the highway approaches. The route 46 approach is best since you can get off Main St and cut through Fort Lee if you need to. I don't know how the West Side Hwy is during rush hour though.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,112 times
I have to disagree with GoYanks. 1st of all the GW is more expensive. Second, GW is a thruway --connections to Connecticut, Bronx, Queens and Manhattan while the LT is primarily for Manhattan/NJ.
There are some shortcuts to get into the LT as opposed to the GW. There is also MUCH more truck traffic on the GW than the LT. Than you add NYY traffic and boom! The OP problem isn't getting out to work but instead getting back home to the 70s. I did a similar commute for 5 years

Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,582,047 times
99% of the time the Holland beats the other 2. Toll pricing should be equal for all 3. only diff being any NJ pike tolls, but you can take the Skyway toll free direct from Newark as the shortest route. Holland has restrictions banning large trucks, Lincoln has trucks, buses, theater traffic and Gee Dub has interstate east coast traffic.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM

199 posts, read 421,196 times
I agree with lfsr1544 and captne76. Holland Tunnel is your best choice, and actually the Lincoln Tunnel isn't bad and going to be better than the GW. Even if it's the reverse commute the traffic getting onto the GW can stretch for miles down 95 and winding through Fort Lee on side streets is not going to help in a lot of cases. I've done that drive a hundred times and find the Lincoln Tunnel a bit easier to make my way through, and will take the Skyway and Holland Tunnel whenever possible.

The West Side Highway isn't much fun at rush hour between the tunnels and the GW. All of 95-bound traffic puts it at a crawl, you could spend half an hour to move a couple dozen blocks. I'd take the Holland, take West Street up to Chelsea and take 10th or even 8th the rest of the way. Catching the lights at the right time will be a little easier and save more sanity than continuing on the West Side Hwy.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Concur on the Holland. Friday evenings are going to be ridiculous no matter how you do it, though.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:41 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acj412 View Post
Hi,

I'm starting a new job in NJ (two locations, in Newark and Livingston), which means until we move in a month or so I will be commuting from the Upper West Side (in the 70s). My hours start very early, so getting to work is a breeze, but getting back... looking at the traffic patterns, it seems like the Lincoln Tunnel is horrendously congested going into NY in the PM even though it is "reverse commute", and the traffic on 495 can be bumper-to-bumper all the way back to I-95.

I know the GWB is no picnic either, and an accident can change everything, but on average, would it be better to bypass the Lincoln Tunnel to take the GWB--> West Side highway back home? Or would you still get home faster taking the Lincoln because of the shorter distance even though you spend a lot more time crawling?

Thanks in advance
It depends how you approach either crossing. Try River Road for the GWB, I find this cuts off a lot of traffic. The same goes for exiting at Hoboken to get into the tunnel.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,845 times
As some other posters suggest, the Holland Tunnel may be an option, but how you get there matters. 1&9 is usually packed. If you take the Tpk extension and get off at grand street and approach from Manila you can save time.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,255 times
But once he enters the city from Holland, it will be one big mess with the way streets were designed. I would take the gw

Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM

26 posts, read 52,878 times
Take mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey