Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Advertisements

What city are you living in and what jobs are you looking for (more administrative assistant types or others)? Have you checked out personal assistants and live-in nanny types of roles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM

23 posts, read 53,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Yes, I believe private owners would be more understanding. I might be careful about divulging too much info. for example about the amount of debt. But, if you have a job of any kind and are able to make the rent you should be able to find someone/place. Or, maybe seek out a live-in helper arrangement? You know, free/cheap rent in exchange for help around the property, that type of thing.
Okay, thanks for your advice. I'll head over to Craigslist!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:54 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I just buried a very dear friend. 20 grand in debt is nothing.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What city are you living in and what jobs are you looking for (more administrative assistant types or others)? Have you checked out personal assistants and live-in nanny types of roles?
I'm in NJ and I have also been looking in Jacksonville, FL since I used to live there; and yes, I have been looking for other Administrative positions. Speaking of Personal Assistant jobs, I submitted my resume for several of those in NYC in the past, but they always required that you have a few years of previous Personal Assistant experience. I understand that it could be demanding, but seriously, how "difficult" can it be??

BTW, I didn't realize I was in the California forum. I came over from Google search results and just started a new thread.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I just buried a very dear friend. 20 grand in debt is nothing.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

How would you feel if someone said to you, "I just lost my entire family in a fire, your one friend is nothing?" As a matter of fact, I (personally) just buried both of my Grandmothers within 2 months. How would you feel if I said, "Oh please, your 'one friend' is nothing?"'

As I said in a previous reply, it's not fair to dismiss a person's problem simply because it's not as bad as another person's.

A person with $20K in debt and a person with $100K in debt have one thing in common - they're both stuck until it's cleared. And that feeling of being stuck feels just as bad from person to person.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Listen, things will start looking up. I was laid off in 2009 just before Christmas, no severance, just my 401K. I was unemployed for almost two years. I had nothing, moved in with dad then relocated from SD to the Bay and lived with mom for a few months. have a job now, nothing like I was making before but no longer with mom and now that I have a job, I'm once again more marketable so I continue to get other leads. Those two years I was unemployed was the first time ever in 19 years, basically I worked at my first job continuously.

As others have said, things will get better. Renting from private owners is pretty much the way I do it. I'm currently looking again as my roommates are hellish. These things happen though and I will one day again have my own place as you will too.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80glyj View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss.

How would you feel if someone said to you, "I just lost my entire family in a fire, your one friend is nothing?" As a matter of fact, I (personally) just buried both of my Grandmothers within 2 months. How would you feel if I said, "Oh please, your 'one friend' is nothing?"'

As I said in a previous reply, it's not fair to dismiss a person's problem simply because it's not as bad as another person's.

A person with $20K in debt and a person with $100K in debt have one thing in common - they're both stuck until it's cleared. And that feeling of being stuck feels just as bad from person to person.
As I stated, 20 grand is nothing. That's not even a car payment. If you are that depressed see a Doctor.

Look, if you live long enough you'll see everyone you know die. It really does come down to how you learn how to deal with things when they happen. I don't know of anyone who isn't dealing with some sort of "bad". It's been so long since I can remember not having a crisis of some type I'm just used to it.

It helps (I guess) to know people who are really getting their a$$es handed to them like some I know. My best friend lost his wife, custody of his son, got canned, drained his 401k then lost his house. Then to top it off we just buried his Father. Oh ya, his mom has Alzheimers so he gets to deal with that. Then he gets the feds on him about some tax debt he had when he was married. He is on so many meds it just frightens me. Dude is hanging in there though.

TImes are tough even when they are good. Don't go off the deep end and do something foolish. See a professional first.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Listen, things will start looking up. I was laid off in 2009 just before Christmas, no severance, just my 401K. I was unemployed for almost two years. I had nothing, moved in with dad then relocated from SD to the Bay and lived with mom for a few months. have a job now, nothing like I was making before but no longer with mom and now that I have a job, I'm once again more marketable so I continue to get other leads. Those two years I was unemployed was the first time ever in 19 years, basically I worked at my first job continuously.

As others have said, things will get better. Renting from private owners is pretty much the way I do it. I'm currently looking again as my roommates are hellish. These things happen though and I will one day again have my own place as you will too.
Thanks. Your story reminds me of my own back in 2006. I had to move back to my home state to live with my mom. Only I wasn't unemployed for that long - I worked small retail jobs, and even as a person listing Ebay listings for a small company, until I found my admin job. While I was with my mom I was able to save to pay off my bills and get an apartment since I only had to my mom $300/mo. That's why I was so disappointed to lose this job that I loved and find myself right back in the same situation that I was in back in 2006.

Buuuuuut, I must say I am feeling much better today by the grace of God. I've settled on This Too Shall Pass.

The best to both of us!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80glyj View Post
I have never felt so miserable and "stuck" in my life. I have about $20,000 in debt and it is sucking the life out of me. I was laid off from my job in 2010. I was given 2 months notice and a severance package. Prior to that I was doing very well. I was completely debt free having paid off $10,000 of my credit card debt back in 2008. I was able to pay all of my bills, and I was comfortable. When I was laid off, I search for employment for months, but couldn't find anything. I was so sick being home all day and felt like I was going to go crazy! I decided to use my severance package to open an accessories boutique. The sales were pretty unpredictable, so I decided not to renew the lease. However, I fell behind on my rent, accumulated more debt, and now I can't move, literally. I don't regret the store. At least, I won't look back 10 years from now and wonder what if. But at the same time, I can't help but wonder how comfortable my life would be right now had I saved that money and just waited for a job. I mean, a lot of Americans have been home for years. I was only unemployed for a few months. Anyhow, I'm just so depressed right now. I don't understand why this is happening to me. I've been on my own since I was 18, and I'm now 30. I've never had excess, but I have always been able to take care of myself. I have been applying for jobs in another state, and one emailed me today - I think I may get an interview soon. Unfortunately, there's another catch. I won't be approved for an apartment because I fell behind on my rent in the place I'm at now! I applied for one earlier this month and was denied because of my credit and rental history with the place I'm at now. It's so depressing to know that no matter what has happened to us, we are all still just a number, I mean sheeeesh, the entire time I was working I was on time every month, but never mind that - only the bad counts... but such is life I guess... Then there's the matter of my car that is near death and experiencing heavy breathing. I've had it since 2002 and it was 3 years old when I got it, so I guess that's expected. I'm just so sick of being knocked down. There is always something! Sometimes I just pray, God, can you just come and get me now. I don't wanna be here any more. (Sorry, I'm not suicidal in case anyone is a little freaked by that). So, now here I am praying this job in another state comes through, but why am I praying for it? Where am I going to live?? I don't know, I just wish that I could undo 2011 and have a fresh start. I just want to be free of all of this debt so that I can have a fresh start! Alright, I have to go now, the tears are here. Thanks for letting me vent. Bye.
Everyone needs to vent from time to time and we have all done it. You will look back on today, 20 years from now as just part of life. We had a similar situation years ago and so did 2 of our kids. Things do eventually work out, even if God forbid it means bankruptcy. Don't hisitate to ask for someone to help you, if no other way than just to listen to you.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:27 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Im poorer then a illegal but i somehow make it (barely). Its tough but i sure dont want to be homeless & my landlord will absolutely evict me. Every damn time i turn around my rent is increasing as well as utilities, dmv fees, insurance, food, gas, etc.

Last edited by steel7; 04-17-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey