Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:36 PM

276 posts, read 747,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80glyj View Post
First of all.. I would LOVE to go to school. However, if I enroll in school while collecting unemployment, and I'm caught, I will lose my unemployment. Unemployment expects you to use your time to look for work, not go to school. There are many horror stories of that happening to people on here.

Secondly... Don't you dare tell me the only thing people do is "sympathize", or that concern from others is "useless". There were times when I watched homeless people walk passed my store everyday in a terrible state, and my heart's compassion led me to buy them food, and even go shopping for them, wait for them to walk by, and give them a bag full of clothes, shoes, and personal items. The fact that you have NO compassion for others make YOU useless! That's the problem with this world - people who do care about others are outnumbered by those who could care less!
hello, thanks for the reply. in response--if you will love to go to school, go. call avtech, tell them the situation. i guarantee you will not lose your unemployment. if you do not believe me, call them. ask them if by going to school, you will lose your unemployment.

secondly--you missed the point. not worth responding.

good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times
New Jersey is full of opportunities, you need to think and see outside the box, not within it.

You gotta work smart and work hard, you will get some where trust me.

My dad came to this country $0 in the back, no english, no education. He still manages to buy a house and a business in 15 years.

Hard work is the key. Don't give up on yourself, that's the worst thing to happen to anyone.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:33 PM

276 posts, read 747,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
nursing and PA are not easy to learn and require many prerequisites before you can even apply to the programs , which are time consuming and expensive. It's definitely not the quickest way to get employment.

Looking into a community college could help as well. Many of them have short studies in dental assistant, ekg, phlebotomy, x-ray technician, etc.
yes---that is true as well. anything practical, right? that was my point. if too hard, then best to forego it.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:25 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
I've been homeless, Ive lived in a 500k house, Im damn near homeless again, Ive had 100k in debt, ive been debt free with almost 100k in the bank, Ive been bankrupt, i had a family, I've been divorced, Ive worked 3 jobs @ 120hrs a week, ive worked part time and made more than those 3 combined, I've traveled the world, I'm currently digging quarters out of the couch scrounging for gas money. Crap happens beyond your control, life sux sometimes, but you HAVE to keep moving, you have to keep fighting, you cannot give up.

It sounds like you don't have kids and are single. If so, sell everything you can, learn the difference between need and want if you don't know already. File for bankruptcy. Tighten the belt until you bleed. Its harsh and its overkill but, once you've gone through it, and hopefully come out the other side of it, you will never feel hopeless again because you KNOW you've made it through before.

Even tho the economy is nowhere near where it used to be, even tho NJ is expensive as h3ll, you CAN work your butt of and have a fulfilling life. It may not be the one you envisioned for yourself. It may not be the one you originally wanted. But you CAN make the best of it and be happy. You CAN do it.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:16 AM

303 posts, read 919,724 times
Time for OP to get on her bike:

Oil boom strikes Kansas - May. 23, 2012

There plenty of jobs out there for those who want 'em.

Did the pineers just sit and wait for there welfare checks? No they headed out west to where the opportunities are.

This generation got to learn the same.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 AM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
What's a pineer?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 AM

303 posts, read 919,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What's a pineer?

Did u got to school?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:20 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I've been homeless, Ive lived in a 500k house, Im damn near homeless again, Ive had 100k in debt, ive been debt free with almost 100k in the bank, Ive been bankrupt, i had a family, I've been divorced, Ive worked 3 jobs @ 120hrs a week, ive worked part time and made more than those 3 combined, I've traveled the world, I'm currently digging quarters out of the couch scrounging for gas money. Crap happens beyond your control, life sux sometimes, but you HAVE to keep moving, you have to keep fighting, you cannot give up.

It sounds like you don't have kids and are single. If so, sell everything you can, learn the difference between need and want if you don't know already. File for bankruptcy. Tighten the belt until you bleed. Its harsh and its overkill but, once you've gone through it, and hopefully come out the other side of it, you will never feel hopeless again because you KNOW you've made it through before.

Even tho the economy is nowhere near where it used to be, even tho NJ is expensive as h3ll, you CAN work your butt of and have a fulfilling life. It may not be the one you envisioned for yourself. It may not be the one you originally wanted. But you CAN make the best of it and be happy. You CAN do it.
This is exactly the attitude you need to survive in these trying times.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What's a pineer?
One of the first people to settle the Pine Barrens.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:35 PM

9 posts, read 11,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80glyj View Post
I have never felt so miserable and "stuck" in my life. I have about $20,000 in debt and it is sucking the life out of me. I was laid off from my job in 2010. I was given 2 months notice and a severance package. Prior to that I was doing very well. I was completely debt free having paid off $10,000 of my credit card debt back in 2008. I was able to pay all of my bills, and I was comfortable. When I was laid off, I search for employment for months, but couldn't find anything. I was so sick being home all day and felt like I was going to go crazy! I decided to use my severance package to open an accessories boutique. The sales were pretty unpredictable, so I decided not to renew the lease. However, I fell behind on my rent, accumulated more debt, and now I can't move, literally. I don't regret the store. At least, I won't look back 10 years from now and wonder what if. But at the same time, I can't help but wonder how comfortable my life would be right now had I saved that money and just waited for a job. I mean, a lot of Americans have been home for years. I was only unemployed for a few months. Anyhow, I'm just so depressed right now. I don't understand why this is happening to me. I've been on my own since I was 18, and I'm now 30. I've never had excess, but I have always been able to take care of myself. I have been applying for jobs in another state, and one emailed me today - I think I may get an interview soon. Unfortunately, there's another catch. I won't be approved for an apartment because I fell behind on my rent in the place I'm at now! I applied for one earlier this month and was denied because of my credit and rental history with the place I'm at now. It's so depressing to know that no matter what has happened to us, we are all still just a number, I mean sheeeesh, the entire time I was working I was on time every month, but never mind that - only the bad counts... but such is life I guess... Then there's the matter of my car that is near death and experiencing heavy breathing. I've had it since 2002 and it was 3 years old when I got it, so I guess that's expected. I'm just so sick of being knocked down. There is always something! Sometimes I just pray, God, can you just come and get me now. I don't wanna be here any more. (Sorry, I'm not suicidal in case anyone is a little freaked by that). So, now here I am praying this job in another state comes through, but why am I praying for it? Where am I going to live?? I don't know, I just wish that I could undo 2011 and have a fresh start. I just want to be free of all of this debt so that I can have a fresh start! Alright, I have to go now, the tears are here. Thanks for letting me vent. Bye.
There will be a brighter day. At the moment it looks like it's impossible but it's just a matter of time.people have been in worse situations than yours, many rich people now had to sleep in their cars at one point for months because they had no where else to go. You look at them now and it's all different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey