U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM

38 posts, read 89,832 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering moving to Ridgewood, NJ and would like to get some information on
1) Does RW provide school bus? My eldest is going to 1st grade this fall.
2) Anyone commute to Upper Manhattan by Coach/shortline bus? It says in their schedule that the it takes less than 30 minutes from Route 17 park & ride to GW Bridge station. I am wondering how long it really takes since you have to cross the GWB.
3) Parking on Route 17 park & ride, it says $0.5/hour between 6am to 6pm. How abut if you get back after 6pm?
4) I know RW is very nice in general, but is there any area you would suggest, and any area we should avoid.

Many thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 PM

79,404 posts, read 73,329,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
We are seriously considering moving to Ridgewood, NJ and would like to get some information on
1) Does RW provide school bus? My eldest is going to 1st grade this fall.
2) Anyone commute to Upper Manhattan by Coach/shortline bus? It says in their schedule that the it takes less than 30 minutes from Route 17 park & ride to GW Bridge station. I am wondering how long it really takes since you have to cross the GWB.
3) Parking on Route 17 park & ride, it says $0.5/hour between 6am to 6pm. How abut if you get back after 6pm?
4) I know RW is very nice in general, but is there any area you would suggest, and any area we should avoid.

Many thanks
1) Not sure about the school buses, but Ridgewood is a very school-and-family-oriented town. I remember the bus I used to get to the train station picking up a kid every day that I think was going to the middle school, so I wonder if in some parts they have a deal to use the public transportation.

2) I believe the bus schedule is likely accurate.

3) Don't know.

4) No areas to avoid in Ridgewood. There is absolutely no place in that town where it would be unsafe to walk.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM

Default Thank you

We have heard a lot of good things about RW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
1) Not sure about the school buses, but Ridgewood is a very school-and-family-oriented town. I remember the bus I used to get to the train station picking up a kid every day that I think was going to the middle school, so I wonder if in some parts they have a deal to use the public transportation.

2) I believe the bus schedule is likely accurate.

3) Don't know.

4) No areas to avoid in Ridgewood. There is absolutely no place in that town where it would be unsafe to walk.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berko View Post
We have heard a lot of good things about RW.
It's sort of the ideal town. You'll hear things about some snobbery and whatnot, but there are good people there. They are proud of Valley Hospital, which has a good reputation, and there have always been some famous yet low-key residents sprinkled in amongst the doctors and bankers and what have you--sports figures, actors, authors, well-known business leaders. For example, Sean Robert Leonard, who plays Wilson on the TV show house is from Ridgewood, and his father is or was a teacher in town. Writer Harlan Coben lives in a big old Victorian. When I was in high school and secretarial school, I worked in a dry cleaners in Ridgewood. The racing announcer Chris Economaki was one of my regular customers, and Joe Torre came in when his normal cleaners was closed for vacation.

I was born there, gave birth there, but grew up in the town next door and then lived there again for a while as an adult and commuted to the city from Ridgewood train station for years. I just don't know the info about the schools and buses.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-20-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM

Thanks Mightyqueen, That is what I have eperienced in RW. People I met so far there seem very nice, and low key. It does seem a ideal town. Will explore more and hopefully settle there.
Quote:
It's sort of the ideal town. You'll hear things about some snobbery and whatnot, but there are good people there. They are proud of Valley Hospital, which has a good reputation, and there have always been some famous yet low-key residents sprinkled in amongst the doctors and bankers and what have you--sports figures, actors, authors, well-known business leaders. For example, Sean Robert Leonard, who plays Wilson on the TV show house is from Ridgewood, and his father is or was a teacher in town. Writer Harlan Coben lives in a big old Victorian. When I was in high school and secretarial school, I worked in a dry cleaners in Ridgewood. The racing announcer Chris Economaki was one of my regular customers, and Joe Torre came in when his normal cleaners was closed for vacation.

I was born there, gave birth there, but grew up in the town next door and then lived there again for a while as an adult and commuted to the city from Ridgewood train station for years. I just don't know the info about the schools and buses.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM

86 posts, read 254,961 times
I live nearby. I don't think it is even possible to feel threatened in Ridgewood. I can park my car there with the windows open in the "downtown" area and it wouldn't even be touched, even late at night.

The bus schedules are extremely accurate, although the train is even better if you're going to Penn Station.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
I live nearby. I don't think it is even possible to feel threatened in Ridgewood. I can park my car there with the windows open in the "downtown" area and it wouldn't even be touched, even late at night.

The bus schedules are extremely accurate, although the train is even better if you're going to Penn Station.

Well, it is possible to feel threatened in Ridgewood. If you are wearing shoes that you bought at Marty's outlet store and you are in a room full of Ridgewood women wearing Nordstrom, you might feel sneered at.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Well, it is possible to feel threatened in Ridgewood. If you are wearing shoes that you bought at Marty's outlet store and you are in a room full of Ridgewood women wearing Nordstrom, you might feel sneered at.
Ack! Nordstrom! The horror!

I get all mine at Nieman Marcus.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:09 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,165,837 times
I debated whether to respond to this, but as nice as Ridgewood is, it isn't crime free. Crime is more the exception than rule of course, but especially in this economy, there are car break ins, house break ins, usually in bunches. Someone set off a pipe bomb on a suburban street in Fair Lawn last year. There was also this a few weeks ago:

Youth Assaulted on Monte Vista and Heights - Ridgewood, NJ Patch

Old 04-29-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
I debated whether to respond to this, but as nice as Ridgewood is, it isn't crime free. Crime is more the exception than rule of course, but especially in this economy, there are car break ins, house break ins, usually in bunches. Someone set off a pipe bomb on a suburban street in Fair Lawn last year. There was also this a few weeks ago:

Youth Assaulted on Monte Vista and Heights - Ridgewood, NJ Patch
Something like this happened to my brother in Westwood growing up. Just was some punk high school dropout who did this to a few kids, and was caught. Just hope they catch the guy who went after the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey