Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 PM

95 posts, read 521,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Yeah? I have 4,500 square feet of living space in my brownstone. And 12-foot high ceilings. How many square feet do you have in your Cranford house? I have a hunch I would feel claustrophobic in YOUR house!

FYI, I grew up in Cranford...great town. Just...boring for my tastes.
4,500 sqft??? Wow. You must be referring to the entire building...

Anyway, it's pretty silly to be arguing suburbia vs. city as though the other person is crazy. It all comes down to personal preference. Personally, as a soon-to-be first-time homebuyer, what draws me to a less urban setting is that you can get a lot more bang for your buck, as far as the size and quality of the house/unit goes, e.g. more sqft, updated, etc. But obviously everyone will have different priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Post WWII, in the 50's, 60's (read: racial riots, white flight), 70's, and 80's...it WAS the trend to flee cities for the calm of the suburbs. That time is gone...now it is exactly the opposite. People are moving from the suburbs TO the city. Hoboken and Downtown Jersey City are filled with moms pushing strollers.
You talking about this article?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/ny...nsus.html?_r=1

I really doubt it...first of all, that article talks about a slight increase in the proportion of non-hispanic whites in NYC, NOT that there is this mass exodus of people INTO the city from nice suburbs..and this increase proportion is mainly because many immigrants are actually moving out of the city to suburbs.

Most people will always want to get out of the city if they can and into nice suburban homes once they start families. My sister is one such. As a younger person she liked living in jersey city, but now that she wants to start a family they are trying to get out and find a nice sprawling home where kids will be safe and they can live a less frenetic and better life.

It makes absolutely no sense for people living in nice suburban homes who are starting a family or with kids to suddenly uproot their kids and go into the city, where crime is generally much higher, rents are more expensive, pollution is worse, and schools are worse. Not when they can simply take the train or drive into the city for a few hours or for the weekend for a vacation if they want some excitement.

Last edited by kalim2008; 04-14-2009 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 08:46 PM

4,178 posts, read 5,057,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
Most people will always want to get out of the city if they can and into nice suburban homes once they start families.
in the last 5 years, the # of baby strollers on Hoboken streets has gone from zero to TOO MANY

don't believe me ? take a ride down Washington this summer
then get back to us

Old 04-14-2009, 11:01 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,084 times
Hmm... don't know the history behind this thread, but the stats wouldn't clue one in that Hoboken was crappy, or Hudson county for that matter.

Could it be the fact that it's in the vicinity of Newark (generally) that causes the bad rep.

That is to say, so what if Hudson county is a nice little spot if it's surrounded by malaise?

Consider an example from Florida. Palm Beach Island is ostentatious. Go over the Quadrille Bridge however, and you *are* in "the hood".

Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
in the last 5 years, the # of baby strollers on Hoboken streets has gone from zero to TOO MANY

don't believe me ? take a ride down Washington this summer
then get back to us

You do know one personal observation about one single city does not go anywhere close to validating the hypothesis right?

Old 04-15-2009, 12:27 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,595 times
Is it just me or are some of the pictures posted on pg 1 of this thread not viewable?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:33 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Is it just me or are some of the pictures posted on pg 1 of this thread not viewable?
It's you.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:49 AM

27 posts, read 84,316 times
I lived in Hoboken for 14 years. I hopped on he Path and got to work in 25 minutes. I hung out with friends, went to NYC a lot, did fun things in town. Things were ok until my friends started to move away and the town changed from a more middle class artsy community to a very different kind of trendy place. I guess I just felt too old for it. I sold my home there and financed two subsequent homes from selling that place. I prefer the peaceful suburbs where I don't have to fight for a parking space and deal with noise and traffic. I don't work in NY anymore, my friends are in the burbs,so there is no reason to miss Hoboken. I did really like the time I spent there, though. I really loved it in the late eighties to mid nineties. Apartments for 600-800 dollars were available. You didn't have to have a high paying job to afford to live there without a roommate. I left in 2001, I was ready.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:11 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Hmm... don't know the history behind this thread, but the stats wouldn't clue one in that Hoboken was crappy, or Hudson county for that matter.

Could it be the fact that it's in the vicinity of Newark (generally) that causes the bad rep.

That is to say, so what if Hudson county is a nice little spot if it's surrounded by malaise?
No, it has nothing to do with proximity to Newark. I could walk from Newark to many of the nicer parts of Essex county, but Newark is separated by a few bodies of water from Jersey City and Hoboken.

I think it's in part because many people on this board have a preference for more suburban environments. They want "good schools", lots of space, and a safe neighborhood. They are quite happy to make very long commutes, and to live in a place that doesn't have a real downtown.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
You talking about this article?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/ny...nsus.html?_r=1

I really doubt it...first of all, that article talks about a slight increase in the proportion of non-hispanic whites in NYC, NOT that there is this mass exodus of people INTO the city from nice suburbs..and this increase proportion is mainly because many immigrants are actually moving out of the city to suburbs.

Most people will always want to get out of the city if they can and into nice suburban homes once they start families. My sister is one such. As a younger person she liked living in jersey city, but now that she wants to start a family they are trying to get out and find a nice sprawling home where kids will be safe and they can live a less frenetic and better life.

It makes absolutely no sense for people living in nice suburban homes who are starting a family or with kids to suddenly uproot their kids and go into the city, where crime is generally much higher, rents are more expensive, pollution is worse, and schools are worse. Not when they can simply take the train or drive into the city for a few hours or for the weekend for a vacation if they want some excitement.

In a month from now, when the weather is nice, take a walk down Washington Street in Hoboken, or through Van Vorst Park and Hamilton Park in Jersey City...and let's see your opinion then. You'll see more moms with strollers there than in Nomahegan Park in Cranford.

For your life, suburbia may be right, but more and more familes are moving back to cities to raise families...the facts are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey