Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 AM

42 posts, read 162,622 times

Advertisements

Anthony,

I am selling for a multitude of reasons... I gave up many opportunities over the years such as having my own children's television show and doing a children's radio program, doing voiceovers, etc... I haven't been able to have another child because I am doing too many things - owner anad teacher and director of a preschool, illustrating and writing children's books, calligraphy for events, planning fundraisers and a million other things and I am exhausted, my health has been suffering. I really want to have another child and I need to be able to give my children the attention they need. They need a mom who is there emotionally and physically more than they need this big beautiful house. I had no family nearby and my mother in law is getting older and she lives in LBI which is close to Manahawkin. We were told by many realtors that we could get in the 800's or 900's for our house so we thought we could sell our house and move closer to Mom and I could have another baby and not work on anything other than illustrating and writing the children's books, etc... Which is why this is so hard to keep lowering the price because now I am moving from where I love where I was my own boss and I will most likely have to work again. There is no way we will have a house that can compare to this one so I just pray we are doing the right thing. Had we known 5 months ago that we might get in the 650,000 range, we would not have put it on the market. At this point my husband has a new job, my daughter is in school and we have many friends here in LBI but I need to get into a home of my own ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 AM

The plan was to have no mortgage which was a huge incentive for the move as well...now that plan is down the drain. Oh well, I guess things could be worse!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 AM

114 posts, read 343,709 times
sarimcg-

You can't go back, so you must move forward! I would have a 'sit-down' with the realtor and spell it out. Does she really want to lose you to another realtor?
Tell her you NEED to market aggressively! There are strategies that realtors use to bring in potential buyers. Ask for specifics about what HER strategy is...pin her down. Tell her point blank, at the end of your contractual agreement you will sign with another realtor, unless you see some prospective buyers who can be approved for a mortgage. Don't be overly concerned with hurting her feelings, SHE WANTS THAT COMMISSION.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:43 AM

63 posts, read 346,151 times
sarim,

i agree with the others, the pictures in your listing does not showcase your house well. the house appears to be in a small lot, with too many stairs, crowded space. i know this is not the case, but that is what the pictures look to me. try to find a photographer that could better showcase your home.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
I would have no interest in buying a 700k house with no garage, even if it would only take 5k to fix it. I really think you are asking a buyer to overlook a lot of stuff. Buyers are notoriously shortsighted and have problems seeing past simple stuff like bad wall color let along having to turn a commercial area back in to living space or converting a garage. Even though you know it's not going to cost too much, buyers just see a headache. Also a lot of buyers will be "cash poor" once they buy the house. Meaning, maybe they can stretch into a mortgage but coming up with another 10k to fix it up is not doable so they pick the move-in ready house over yours, even if it is smaller. If I were you, I would make those changes myself right now.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:18 AM

I'm going this weekend to take new pics while all the trees still have leaves and the landscaping looks nice. I'll take new shots of the house as well. Maybe putting totally new pics of the house with different rooms as well as different angles will spark interest for the people who have been looking at the same pictures for 5 months. I wish the virtual tour came out better but there's not much I can do about that. Our lot isn't huge it is broken up into the four areas but it makes for some nice privacy and more than enough space for the family and entertaining, etc...

Old 09-18-2007, 11:25 AM

It isn't a commercial area. I don't think you understand the set up of the house. It is just a residential house. If you have kids - absolutely NOTHING needs to be done to have it as a family play room area with a pool table, bar, and all the kids toys. The entire house if you have kids is MOVE IN CONDITION. There is a 4 car driveway. I spoke with many realtors regarding the garage issue and asked if I should convert it back and their feedback from people who came said they would rather use it as extra living space the way it was set up. To convert it back to a garage is extremely simple it is not a huge construction job.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 AM

114 posts, read 343,709 times
Another good resource for comparison is obeo.com. It isn't very user friendly, but you can tell that the better realtors put their listings there also. Do you know anyone with a digital SLR camera, possibly with a wide angle lens? That would capture the great qualities of the house much better.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:40 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarimcg View Post
It isn't a commercial area. I don't think you understand the set up of the house. It is just a residential house. If you have kids - absolutely NOTHING needs to be done to have it as a family play room area with a pool table, bar, and all the kids toys. The entire house if you have kids is MOVE IN CONDITION. There is a 4 car driveway. I spoke with many realtors regarding the garage issue and asked if I should convert it back and their feedback from people who came said they would rather use it as extra living space the way it was set up. To convert it back to a garage is extremely simple it is not a huge construction job.
Oh I see, the house is perfect and that is why it sold so quickly. Oh wait....it didn't. I know it's hard to hear "negative" stuff about your house but it will only help you sell it. As far as people not wanting a garage...total nonsense.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:38 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Sari - I really wish you well. So sorry this turned into the headache that it has. Hope you manage to sell and move on and have a wonderful life in LBI.
And the creative aspect of your life sounds wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey