Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 48,848 times

Advertisements

I have a bunch of clothes that people gave to me in the past that just aren't my style or in some cases are too small for me. I'm 6 foot. I was wondered if anyone knows of places that buy used clothing in good shape? I think I remember a place in Paterson called Red, White and Blue Thrift shop or something like that and I think there's a place in Hawthone but I forget where. Does anyone know of a place that buys clothes in Bergen Passaic, Morris or Sussex counties? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 AM

271 posts, read 1,018,878 times
why not eBay, you probably will make more money.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 48,848 times
I will do ebay if I can't find any place close but I was kind of hoping I could just go with a bag full of clothes and sell it all in one day. Ebay takes more time but if I can't find any place then yes I will do that. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM

IF you go to Church (or know somebody who does) you can also try your luck there. Most churches do community garage sales in summer months, especially in Clifton, Passaic and Montclair.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:52 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
There is a consignment shop in Midland Park. I forget the name, but it's all the way down and around in the back behind the other stores where Kings and Marty's Shoes and CVS are located.

The garage/rummage sale idea is good, too. Look in your local paper for churches doing sales. They often want $10 or $20 for a table and you keep whatever over that you sell.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:26 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Alternatively, you could simply donate the clothing to The Salvation Army or Goodwill, and take an income tax deduction for the value of the used clothing.
Just be sure to keep the claimed values within the acceptable range for income tax deductions. If you do some Googling, you can find lists of acceptable values for donated items. I have been doing this for many years, and I am usually able to take a write-off of well over $200 for donated items, over and above my deduction for cash donations to charities.

While you might--in theory--get more money by selling the clothing, selling all of it could take a considerable amount of time.

Conversely, one trip to a donation site rids you of the unwanted clothing, and results in receipts for your donations. However, since the receipts tend to be rather general in nature ("2 bags of men's clothing"), I prepare inventory sheets ahead of time (example--2 shirts, size large, condition "new", manufacturer--Hilfiger, 5 silk ties, condition excellent, manufacturer--Brooks Brothers, 3 pairs of jeans, size 36, condition good, manufacturer--Levis, etc) which I attach to the receipts from the charity. This is an accepted practice for donated items that you will claim as an income tax deduction.

Since one of my personal slogans is, "simplify your life", I advocate donating the items to charities, rather than trying to sell them.
And, of course, some less-fortunate folks will benefit from your donations.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Whatever you do, don't put clothes in the donation boxes on the street, like the ones near grocery stores. People steal the donated clothes and sell them for profit.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:44 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by re_alvz View Post
Whatever you do, don't put clothes in the donation boxes on the street, like the ones near grocery stores. People steal the donated clothes and sell them for profit.
In addition to that factor, many of those collection boxes do NOT result in needy people getting the clothing. Most of those collection boxes result in your clothing being shredded for recycling as rags, with the "profit" going to a group that may or may not be a charity in the real sense. Some of these "charities" are...let's just say...very questionable.

As far as I am concerned, only someone too lazy to drive to a reputable charity should be using those collection boxes. Since needy people won't get the clothing and you won't get an income tax deduction, it just seems...rather worthless overall...unless your goal is just to empty your closets.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 30,378 times
That place in Hawthorne you're talking about is called Udelco. I'm not positive that they buy clothes though, it might be just donations. One time I went there and asked the owner if I could exchange a shirt of mine for one of their's and he told me that they "didn't do that".

Old 08-16-2012, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 17,327 times
Default Sell them on eBay!

You could always try selling them on eBay! We just started selling clothes on eBay and are doing pretty well! You can check us out at ellesconsignment.com! It will take you straight to our eBay store where we sell new and gently used clothing! Shipping is free for all "in store" items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey