Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:50 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times

Advertisements

It's not just about NYC(nor should it be). There are no local buses at all to take you around, unlike the 3 towns the OP mentioned, let alone a train station. You will need a car to live in that town unlike the other 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovanka View Post
Is NYC commute really that important to everyone? One hour in the car to the Holland Tunnel from Mendham sounds awesome to me.
No way one hour to Holland Tunnel. HT is always backed-up even on a Sunday. Mendham is not covenient to NY. It doesn't have easy access to public transportation. I live in downtown Motown and have five minute walk to train station. I take an express train in the morning to Penn Station and then have to cross over to midtown. I work next to Grand Central. From Morristown, it takes me 1 hour and half door to door to reach the office. Mendham has to be much worse, especially when you have to drive those slow country roads to get to a train station.

Mendham is a beautiful community, but it is not convenient to NYC by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovanka View Post
Is NYC commute really that important to everyone? One hour in the car to the Holland Tunnel from Mendham sounds awesome to me.
Yes, do that every weekday at rush hour for a couple of years (and are we just going to forget about what comes AFTER you get to the Holland Tunnel, lol?) and then come back and rave again about how awesome it is!

Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM

334 posts, read 731,639 times
Mendham is nice but a pain to commute to and from...one of my daughter's volleyball games is there and it takes us almost an hour during rush hour...from WESTERN ESSEX COUNTY!

Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM

280 posts, read 603,722 times
I live in Mendham and find the commute to the city fine. I've done my share of commuting in other big cities in the country, so relatively for me, this commute is fine. I know for some, one hour tops it. For me, two hours have been the norm years ago, so 1.5 hours is tolerable.

The key to commute from Mendham, is to leave before 8 am and take back roads (nice and empty, no traffic- I'm not sure why back country roads would not be seen as a pleasure to drive on. With everyone around driving big SUV's, at least they can be put to proper use.) all the way to route 24. Then a short drive to I-78. The bridge is the only bottle neck. I've been commuting to UES for a few months, and it usually took me 1.5 hours when I planned it right. The point is, it is possible to live in Mendham and commute to the city. What I understand then, Chatham, Ridgewood, and the rest are commuter towns? I think what the poster was saying, relatively, when newcomers are looking for a new town to move into, why Mendham doesn't get mentioned as often as other towns. Not everyone needs to commute to NYC, and if they do, then really, we are talking about good commuter towns, not good towns to raise family in.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
I live in Mendham and find the commute to the city fine. I've done my share of commuting in other big cities in the country, so relatively for me, this commute is fine. I know for some, one hour tops it. For me, two hours have been the norm years ago, so 1.5 hours is tolerable.

The key to commute from Mendham, is to leave before 8 am and take back roads (nice and empty, no traffic- I'm not sure why back country roads would not be seen as a pleasure to drive on. With everyone around driving big SUV's, at least they can be put to proper use.) all the way to route 24. Then a short drive to I-78. The bridge is the only bottle neck. I've been commuting to UES for a few months, and it usually took me 1.5 hours when I planned it right. The point is, it is possible to live in Mendham and commute to the city. What I understand then, Chatham, Ridgewood, and the rest are commuter towns? I think what the poster was saying, relatively, when newcomers are looking for a new town to move into, why Mendham doesn't get mentioned as often as other towns. Not everyone needs to commute to NYC, and if they do, then really, we are talking about good commuter towns, not good towns to raise family in.
The majority of people on this board looking for relo info either work in NYC or want to be within an hour of it, therefore I personally wouldn't recommend Mendham. If someone were to say they were relo'ing here with Verizon in BR and their budget allowed it, I would definitely mention Mendham. I think it's just an issue of location, not that Mendham is inferior as a family friendly town. Does that make sense?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
The majority of people on this board looking for relo info either work in NYC or want to be within an hour of it, therefore I personally wouldn't recommend Mendham. If someone were to say they were relo'ing here with Verizon in BR and their budget allowed it, I would definitely mention Mendham. I think it's just an issue of location, not that Mendham is inferior as a family friendly town. Does that make sense?
Agreed. Mendham is a great town. That's not the issue. It just isn't proximate to Manhattan and for many that is where they work.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
If people want proximity to Manhattan then maybe they should either live there(or elsewhere in NYC), NYS suburbs like Westchester or LI, or even the Gold Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey