Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM

24 posts, read 92,300 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I were about to pull the trigger on a house in Glen Ridge, NJ but have gotten a small case of cold feet. We have talked with many of our Brooklyn transplants and decided to at least broaden our horizons to include looking in Westfield and Ridgewood as well.

Our budget is about 1.2mm and we are looking for fantastic schools, a great downtown and a sense of community.

Would anyone be willing to pro and con for me?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM

91 posts, read 296,547 times
With your budget, you definitely have your pick!!!! I will put my vote in for Westfield!

In terms of your points of concern, Westfield hits the mark on all of them! Great downtown - wonderful restaurants and shops. During the warmer months, there are fairs, restaurants have their outside dining open, Jazz Tuesdays nights (various musicians play throughout downtown), and on and on. Schools are extremely strong and high-ranked! And you definitely get a sense of community! Very easy to make friends!! There are tons of activities and extra-curriculars for the kids. If you need to commute to NYC - you have options for both train and bus.

I would say that Ridgewood is also definitely right up there as well!!! Very similar attributes, but I am just biased!

Good Luck!!!!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:46 PM

391 posts, read 1,476,238 times
i live in Westfield, but grew up in Ridgewod. The 2 towns are very similar in alot of ways. My pick would be RW. Only reason we don't live there is because it would be too long a commute for me.

In my experience, in your price range you'll get more house/bigger lot for your money in RW, but taxes seem to be higher; so probably a wash I guess.

aside from taxes, i don't really think there are too many "cons" with either town. some people seem to be concerned with the snobbery associated with these towns, but personally i think it's overblown. sure there are a few here and there, but i actually find them amusing.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,897 times
The obvious answer is that GR's downtown is Montclair, not that it matters. As long as your are belabouring the decision, why not add Summit and Millburn to the mix? I'm not a big Westfield fan I think due to the geography - pretty flat and bordered by highways.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:31 AM

24 posts, read 92,300 times
I have been putting off adding Millburn to the list because of my concerns over what seems to be a little elitism in that town. Do you think it is worse in that regard than any of the others I mentioned?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 AM

86 posts, read 268,713 times
Of the two? Ridgewood. Ridgewood is surrounded by beautiful towns and you don't really have to worry about riff raff from anywhere even in the vicinity.

From a friend that grew up in Union, NJ, they apparently would hang out and "harass rich people" often in Westfield. Not sure how you should take that, but I never even found something remotely close to that mentality up in Ridgewood.

The snobbery is often overblown in these towns, especially Ridgewood, considering that it is actually surrounded by wealthier towns!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:57 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Aran View Post
Of the two? Ridgewood. Ridgewood is surrounded by beautiful towns and you don't really have to worry about riff raff from anywhere even in the vicinity.

From a friend that grew up in Union, NJ, they apparently would hang out and "harass rich people" often in Westfield. Not sure how you should take that, but I never even found something remotely close to that mentality up in Ridgewood.

The snobbery is often overblown in these towns, especially Ridgewood, considering that it is actually surrounded by wealthier towns!
I might be interpreting your post wrong, but Ridgewood borders Ho-Ho-Kus, Waldwick, Midland Park, Glen Rock, and Paramus. Might border Fair Lawn too? I don't think any of those towns are wealthier than Ridgewood.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:16 AM

86 posts, read 268,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
I might be interpreting your post wrong, but Ridgewood borders Ho-Ho-Kus, Waldwick, Midland Park, Glen Rock, and Paramus. Might border Fair Lawn too? I don't think any of those towns are wealthier than Ridgewood.
I forgot about Waldwick, to be honest. Was considering Allendale and Saddle River.

Ho-Ho-Kus is much, much more well off than Ridgewood though, at least per household.

Midland Park is about equal, but you're right about Ridgewood being better off than Glen Rock, Waldwick, Fair Lawn, and Paramus. I guess I've always compared Ridgewood to the likes of Saddle River, Upper Saddle River, Ramsey, Allendale, Mahwah, and Woodcliff Lake. Consider it a compliment, I guess.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,410 times
Hey, no complaints here. I'm dragging the median HHI lower in RW myself. I'm just a stickler for facts! My impression is Glen Rock has risen in the past 10-15 years to be on par with Ridgewood. Didn't realize how well off Ho Ho Kus was. All in all, they are all upper middle class suburban neighborhoods with minimal crime. Ridgewood is definitely "insulated" from any low income areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey