Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,885,293 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen a survey of how many of those so-called laborers and idlers are actually undocumented?

I ask because some sources put the undocumented labor force in the entire state of NJ at only around 400K, which is similar to NYS. And that includes all nationalities including Chinese, South Asians, Africans, Central/Eastern Europeans etc.

I would not be surprised if the great majority of Latinos you see loitering outside 7-11, being picked up by trucks or cleaning your homes while speaking Spanish are actually legal permanent U.S. residents and citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 02:07 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,444,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Has anyone seen a survey of how many of those so-called laborers and idlers are actually undocumented?

I ask because some sources put the undocumented labor force in the entire state of NJ at only around 400K, which is similar to NYS. And that includes all nationalities including Chinese, South Asians, Africans, Central/Eastern Europeans etc.

I would not be surprised if the great majority of Latinos you see loitering outside 7-11, being picked up by trucks or cleaning your homes while speaking Spanish are actually legal permanent U.S. residents and citizens.
i wouldn't be shocked either. when i was in college, there was a crew that got picked up every morning near my off campus house. i knew a few of them from the local watering hole, and they were definitely citizens...they made good money and there was virtually always work. if they went through labor ready (temp agency) they'd get paid less. who knows what the deal is in mo-town.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:26 PM

89 posts, read 131,396 times
Default Morristown & Immigrant issue

For a preview of coming attractions take a good look at what is happening in Fairfax County, Virginia. When times were better, many immigrants, legal and otherwise moved in. Added well more than 1.7 children per family to the school system.

The County now spends a huge amount of its school budget on teaching English as a second language to its immigrant population. The point being is aside from the visual of cluttering up sidewalks or loitering around certain franchised convenience stores is the looming issue of having to educate the offspring of these people. If you think NJ taxes are high now, wait a few years. Based on what is happening in many Fairfax County schools, quality is declining as expenses have to be diverted.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:09 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,885,293 times
/\/\

Right. But how do you know they're illegal?

Old 03-09-2014, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
Default Better learn Spanish

Cape May ,NJ is also overwhelmed with illegal immigrants.Better get used to it, and learn spanish I guess.There is no turning back now.The refried beans are out of the burrito and the local politicians are licking their chops for potential future hispanic voters.

I can understand to a certain degree why the immigrants would want to leave their native country/countries and come here.The problem I have is they never speak english.They open and buy goods only from their own local market's which have sprung up all over this area.They also appear to have no desire to assimilate into the local population what so ever.

The other major problem is a majority of them seem to have as many children as they possibly can while here in this country.Then they proceed to apply for state/federal assistance like food stamps/EBT etc.
Matter of fact... every Immigrant owned store here has a large sign out front encouraging them to use their EBT cards.

This notion that they immigrants are here to work at jobs that the locals are not interested in is completely false.
It becomes more and more difficult each year for us locals and our children to find local full and part-time work.

NJ ranks either first or second for having the largest illegal population.By the looks of it...I think a majority of them live here in Cape May.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:07 PM

239 posts, read 414,515 times
My goodness, fellow thread walkers, this a new America, with new populaces.

In the early 20th C immigration gave us an enitrely new and different compass. Those who were in established neighborhoods by the Irish and German, for example, now had to take in and accept the Chinese.

We will all get used to it, but, if you don't, you will, undoubtedly, be considered a bigot.

Look, I'm no kid, but I also know our America has changed, bringing with it new cultures, Asian, Middle Eastern, Asian Indians, Russians, Eukranians, Nigerians, Phillopinos, Mexicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, and so forth (I am sure I've left out a few).

Do you see my point?

I see everything, and I know the world has already changed, so I changed my lens.

Last edited by Sagafrika; 03-09-2014 at 09:36 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 AM

456 posts, read 835,168 times
Calm down and live your life. Are these people doing any harm to you? If not, just live you life, and stop trying to be a "patriotic vigilante", it's neither your place nor job to deal with their lives.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,898 times
If they didnt want them here they wouldnt be here. They keep the wages low. I dont worry about them because I do quality work. You pay for what you get.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,662,038 times
Seems like most of you are okay with people being here ILLEGALLY and breaking the laws .. Typical liberal NJ attitude ... I find it amusing that they refuse to speak english and talk bad about "americans" but they are here on YOUR dime.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:14 AM

880 posts, read 1,255,185 times
NJ has finally decided to solve the illegal immigration problem - by issuing them driver licenses:

Immigrants in the country illegally could legally drive in NJ under bill | NJ.com

How else would liberals get new voters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey