U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 PM

48 posts, read 127,313 times

Advertisements

My husband and i are relocating to New Jersey. We don't know too much about NJ.
We were thinking the Woodbridge area- specifically Fords and Fair Lawn.
Also, Iselin and Carteret.

Why are the prices of home in these areas so much lower?
Are they in a flood zone?

Info I have gathered suggest that these are safe, nice areas.
I won't have a car so an area with accesible public transit is neccesary.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 05:53 AM

17,246 posts, read 20,975,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya18 View Post
We were thinking the Woodbridge area- specifically Fords and Fair Lawn.

Fair Lawn is over 30 miles from Woodbridge!

Woodbridge Township is quite large, and encompasses "Woodbridge proper", Avenel, Colonia, Iselin, Fords, Keasbey, Port Reading, and Hopelawn. Overall, it is a decent place to live, albeit one with a lot of traffic congestion in some areas, and increasing crime in some neigborhoods.

Iselin has a very large and growing Indian population. That is one of the reasons why JFK High School in Iselin has the best academic reputation of the township's 3 high schools, but if you don't want to be an ethnic minority, Iselin may not be for you.

The reason for an increase in its crime rate is the migration of people from ghetto areas in northern NJ and NYC to Woodbridge. While it is not a dangerous area, it definitely has a higher crime rate than it used to, and--if you are observant--you can detect a "gang presence" in some areas.

The school system is...decent. Not nearly as good as the schools in...let's say...nearby Edison, but better than the schools in very urban areas.

Public transit is very good in most areas of Woodbridge Township.

Carteret's environment suffers from the presence of a lot of heavy industry, and tends to have an almost constant stench from chemical factories. These odors can be detected in parts of Woodbridge when the wind blows in the wrong direction, but generally speaking you won't smell the Carteret stench in Woodbridge. Carteret's schools are...not so good.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 AM

17,246 posts, read 20,975,332 times
And...regarding the issue of flooding...with the exception of a few low-lying highway underpasses, this area is not known for flooding.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM
s06

105 posts, read 240,821 times
One of my aunts has lived near the Woodbridge train station for over 25 years and she said that her basement has flooded a few times, most recently when Hurricane Irene hit last year.

Voluntary Evacuations Called For In Low-Lying Middlesex County Areas | njtoday.net – Everything New Jersey

Woodbridge Warns Residents Of Potential Flooding Tomorrow | njtoday.net – Everything New Jersey

N.J. Gov. Christie declares state of emergency for flood-prone areas as new storm nears | NJ.com

Old 04-27-2012, 12:09 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,771,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Fair Lawn is over 30 miles from Woodbridge!
I think the OP means Hopelawn. One of the lesser desirable areas in the township, next to Perth Amboy. Even the address is Perth Amboy.

I would look at Woodbridge Proper (07095) to be honest. Some nice areas around there.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:09 PM

ok thanks everyone for your replies. And again, I'm not from New Jersey so i don't really know the areas
well.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM

279 posts, read 1,002,849 times
Colonia would be my pick for Woodbridge Twp but not very accessible for public trans.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 AM

70,917 posts, read 66,635,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya18 View Post
ok thanks everyone for your replies. And again, I'm not from New Jersey so i don't really know the areas
well.
It's OK. I think people were just wondering how you got Fair Lawn into that mix, as it is several counties away.

On a comment made by someone else: I have a white coworker who lives with her husband and daughter in Iselin in a primarily Indian neighborhood. She likes it there and says the Indians make good neighbors. Just another opinion to add to the mix.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:50 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,195,640 times
Remember, you get way you pay for, and it sells for what it is. Lots of people are looking for housing in NJ, and if an area is cheap "for some reason", then it is because a lot of people do not want to live there for that "reason". So buying will be cheaper, and so will selling!!!

Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 PM

Cool, we were looking at Iselin. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey