Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
MightyQueen - can you help me understand how Long Branch works? I know that must sound ridiculous. But people have told me there is a long boardwalk to walk on and I don't know where that is exactly. Or if I just have a different definition of "long". I've been to Pier Village and the boardwalk doesn't seem very long to me. And I've been to 7 Pres, in the off season and from where I parked I didn't see a boardwalk at all. Or the children's park that people say is nice. I will definitely try the beach you mentioned. But where exactly would I go to walk the boardwalk? Or see the park? Normally I don't mind exploring but I have a little one and time is of the essence when we are out and about. lol.

The boardwalk is a mile long--as a matter of fact, it's called The Moss Mile, named after a deceased resident known for walking that stretch of Long Branch. There is a plaque with a picture of him at the end of the boardwalk located by Pier Village. The Moss Mile runs south from Pier Village to West End.

I have seen the playground on the beach. You just have to look at the beach, I guess. It seems to me that it's closer to Pier Village than it is to West End.

I'm guessing that the playground is what you mean by "park". Otherwise I don't know. My only child is 20! But anyway, 7 Presidents is on the far northern end of Long Branch (and north of Pier Village). The mile-long boardwalk is nowhere near that. As mentioned, it runs south of PV.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-02-2012 at 05:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 AM

2,730 posts, read 6,104,807 times
Ahhh, I see. Long Branch is bigger than I thought!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Ahhh, I see. Long Branch is bigger than I thought!
Yes, it's a pretty good-sized city--about 40,000 in population. (I lived there for nine months from 2009 to 2010.)

Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 12,149 times
Thanks for your replies. Some very good suggestions.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,069,299 times
Asbury Park's new (refurbished) boardwalk is gorgeous - the beach is lovely but I've only been there in the fall and winter so I can't tell you how it is for swimming.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,677,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Asbury Park's new (refurbished) boardwalk is gorgeous - the beach is lovely but I've only been there in the fall and winter so I can't tell you how it is for swimming.
I was there last summer and it was really nice and clean. Great food available on the Boardwalk and they allow coolers on the beach as well. The only problem we had were the thousands of salps in the water (which was not a problem for me - I think they're pretty cool) but it bothered a lot of other people b/c they all thought they were baby jellyfish LOL!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 AM

2,730 posts, read 6,104,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
And great for a long walk. I've not been to the beach right in Asbury but I used to go to Ocean Grove every year for a weekend stay and really liked it.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,069,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I was there last summer and it was really nice and clean. Great food available on the Boardwalk and they allow coolers on the beach as well. The only problem we had were the thousands of salps in the water (which was not a problem for me - I think they're pretty cool) but it bothered a lot of other people b/c they all thought they were baby jellyfish LOL!
We used to have what we called "pumpkin" jellyfish because they had some orange in them - guess they were in the family of salp - no stingers. We used to scoop them up, play with them, then toss them back into the water.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:37 PM

132 posts, read 289,348 times
I'd like to plan and visit the Shore....
any updates as to what beaches are good to visit...
Which ones are more ready after sandy

Old 04-22-2013, 01:58 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,492,769 times
Stay awar from Avon-by-the-Sea

Please............................................ ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey