Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelesssoon View Post
East Brunswick!

Great schools, wonderful water park, fantastic library and senior center, great transportation to NYC, shopping is terrific, little crime. There are older and newer homes. Close to Turnpike, Rt. 1. Take Rt 18 to the Jersey shore and the Parkway South. People move here just because of the Blue Ribbon Schools. I've lived in No. Brunswick and worked in Piscataway. Check them all out and then move to East Brunswick.

no offense to those who like east brunswick, i honestly only know what's posted here about it, and the towers since i had to work there a few times, but honest to God I'd have to eat a gun if I had to deal with that monstrosity knows as Rt. 18 on a regular basis. my impressions of EB are from that highway, and, I know it's wrong, but I can't imagine EB being 1/2 as nice as portrayed here based upon that stretch of road alone. let the flaming begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 AM

687 posts, read 3,253,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
no offense to those who like east brunswick, i honestly only know what's posted here about it, and the towers since i had to work there a few times, but honest to God I'd have to eat a gun if I had to deal with that monstrosity knows as Rt. 18 on a regular basis. my impressions of EB are from that highway, and, I know it's wrong, but I can't imagine EB being 1/2 as nice as portrayed here based upon that stretch of road alone. let the flaming begin.
LOL--It is a very nice town, and there are some really pretty neighborhoods, but I'd never live there for Route 18 alone. I need to venture onto 18 once or twice a month, and that is plenty for me.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 AM

604 posts, read 2,916,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vai_a View Post
Hi,

I heard Bridgwater is a good area and and looked at houses there but realised most of newer houses (0-12 years) are close to each other with the backyard running into the neighbours.So we dropped that.
I havent checked out East brunswick.But heard the houses are older.
Finally I saw a house in river road-maplehurst section of Piscataway.It is in the range of low 600's.Cul-de-sac and private backyard.

Does anybody have a feedback on these 3 townships?For piscataway I am looking at riverroad only.
My price range is 550-650
Thanks a lot!
Nobody moves from Bridgewater to Piscataway that is a definate step backwards. Most of the homes in Bridgewater were built in the late 60's when property was not as expensive as it is now. Because of the price of Bridgewater property you get cheaper built homes on smaller lots than the sixties homes.The homes on the big lots in the better sections are out of your price range.

I am truly amazed when home shoppers are looking at Bridgewater and also Piscataway. That's like car shopping at a Mercedes dealers and a Chevy dealer and then comparing prices.

It's all about location, location, location and sorry but Piscataway is not on the list.

BTW the property on Maplehurst backs up to the Dow Chemical property formerly Union Carbide corp. Care to guess at some of the chemicals that found their way on to that property?

E

Old 10-22-2008, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 17,906 times
Default Crosspoint East Brunswick VS Society Hill North Brunswick?

Which area should I choose, Society Hill, East Brunswick VS Crosspoint East Brunswick VS North Brunswick?

I found 3 Apts in 3 areas. best Apt would be in Society Hill, North Brunswick. second best is in Crosspoint East Brunswick, the smallest one would be in Society Hill, East Brunswick. I'm looking for safe area, best school, high rent so I can rent If I have too, and good resale. Can you plz advise me if there is a big difference in all three areas?. I know east Brunswick has blue ribbon schools. Thank you

Old 10-23-2008, 04:00 PM

11 posts, read 72,130 times
I think the parts of Bridgewater the poster above was talking about are the $1.3M+ homes.

The difference between Mercedes and Chevy is mainly brand. If you are talking brand, then NJ as a state is the wrong place to be. If you are talking chemicals, NJ is the wrong state to be in.

If I were looking for a $1.3+ home...then that opens up the door to many options including many in NY.

Bridgewater compared to Piscataway:

High school? Bridgewater - HS ranked #91.
Piscataway - HS ranked #146.
http://njmonthly.com/downloads/1527/...hschools08.pdf

Crime (higher index is better):
Bridgewater: Index 90
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed

Piscataway: Index 97
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed

Trains?
http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf
Bridgewater - options appear to be: Bridgewater, Somerville, Raritan...someone who lives there should post how accessible they are.

Piscataway - closest are Edison, New Brunswick, Dunellen.
Edison train has a long wait list for parking passes. New Brunswick is quick and accessible, but more expensive. Dunellen..never used it.

Highway?

Bridgewater entrances/exit from 287 are RT202/206 and RT 22. RT202/206 is a nightmare...equivalent to the RT18 problem in East Brunswick. RT22 has a 287N exit, not one for 287S. Not sure how it is during rush hours.

Piscataway has exit/entrance #4,5,6,7,8. Only 4 doesn't have an inbound. Also, NJ turnpike is off of RT18 South...but then you end up against the East Brunswick crowd.

Home prices:

Piscataway - $600K-$750K puts you at pretty much the top end of the town.
Bridgewater - $1.3M to $2M is the top range.

Summary:
Just absorb the data, and make your own choices. It all depends on what you need.

There is nothing wrong with Piscataway....then again, no matter what choice you make, there is always a better one.

For example, if you are in a $2M+ home, chances are your kids don't go to public school, and you decide when and how you commute.

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 06:00 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 08:55 AM

208 posts, read 853,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev1978 View Post
Hi, I am planning to buy my first home in Central, NJ. I am confused between North Brunswick and Piscataway townships.
Please advise which is a better city/township to buy a home in order to receive maximum appreciation value in the near future considering all aspects like income, crime rate, school districts, flood zones, etc.
This will help us to zero down on a particular area.
Thank you..
I think North Brunswick resale will be better because of the transit station they are building. They are hoping to have it completed by 2010 and I think it will make NB a lot more desireable. It's also a nice town with good schools.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:24 AM

208 posts, read 853,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vai_a View Post
Hi,

I heard Bridgewater is a good area and and looked at houses there but realised most of newer houses (0-12 years) are close to each other with the backyard running into the neighbours.So we dropped that.
I havent checked out East brunswick.But heard the houses are older.
Finally I saw a house in river road-maplehurst section of Piscataway.It is in the range of low 600's.Cul-de-sac and private backyard.

Does anybody have a feedback on these 3 townships?For piscataway I am looking at riverroad only.My price range is 550-650

Thanks a lot!
With a price range of 650, you can get a newer house in East Brunswick. If you can afford EB, I would def go there. It has the best schools, library, aquatic center, etc. As others have posted, there is a lot of traffic on RT 18 but all the other amenities EB offers more than make up for it. And yes, there are many older homes as well in EB, but they are built well and many people consider Colonial Oaks the most prestigious section which is compiled of older custom homes.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:36 AM

54 posts, read 244,519 times
Default Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Nobody moves from Bridgewater to Piscataway that is a definate step backwards. Most of the homes in Bridgewater were built in the late 60's when property was not as expensive as it is now. Because of the price of Bridgewater property you get cheaper built homes on smaller lots than the sixties homes.The homes on the big lots in the better sections are out of your price range.

I am truly amazed when home shoppers are looking at Bridgewater and also Piscataway. That's like car shopping at a Mercedes dealers and a Chevy dealer and then comparing prices.

It's all about location, location, location and sorry but Piscataway is not on the list.

BTW the property on Maplehurst backs up to the Dow Chemical property formerly Union Carbide corp. Care to guess at some of the chemicals that found their way on to that property?

E
About 6 months back, I was looking at different towns to move to and had narrowed it down to Bridgewater orginally. When telling people where I was looking, I did not get a very good response from people. The Martinsville section of Bridgewater is wonderful, but overall Bridgewater and the school system are not what it used to be. Piscataway, I do not know much about it - but I hear more good things about it now than I used to. I think the playing field is starting to even out between them and that is why they are compared more...

Old 10-25-2008, 06:05 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,523,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dev1978 View Post
Hi, I am planning to buy my first home in Central, NJ. I am confused between North Brunswick and Piscataway townships.
Please advise which is a better city/township to buy a home in order to receive maximum appreciation value in the near future considering all aspects like income, crime rate, school districts, flood zones, etc.
This will help us to zero down on a particular area.
Thank you..
I lived in Piscataway for a bit, a reasonable area but not great. Good commuting to NYC, location to New Brunswick, Rutgers and many adjacent corporate parks probably makes it a better investment than North Brunswick, but there's nothing wrong with NB. Piscataway has some rougher areas, especially around Bound Brook and it has no Main Street.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:26 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,523,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNJNJ View Post
About 6 months back, I was looking at different towns to move to and had narrowed it down to Bridgewater orginally. When telling people where I was looking, I did not get a very good response from people. The Martinsville section of Bridgewater is wonderful, but overall Bridgewater and the school system are not what it used to be. Piscataway, I do not know much about it - but I hear more good things about it now than I used to. I think the playing field is starting to even out between them and that is why they are compared more...
I worked in Bridgewater for three years and consider it better than Piscataway, where I lived for 2 years. I don't think you'll find many people saying Piscataway schools are better than Bridgewater's, especially the HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey