Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:31 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,694,915 times

Advertisements

Once you've lived in East Brunswick for a while, there are PLENTY of ways to get around 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 01:29 PM

11 posts, read 72,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Once you've lived in East Brunswick for a while, there are PLENTY of ways to get around 18.
Please tell me any other way to get onto NJ Turnpike that makes sense?

I know of 3 options...
1) Go down to Jamesburg.
2) RT-18
3) get on RT-1 towards Edison....merge into 440.

#1 is impractical.
#2 we all know.
#3...RT-1 is possible, but essentially a sister to RT-18, though not as congested.

BTW don't forget that all your shopping is on RT-18 as well.

Mind you...I think East Brunswick has a lot of positives. I just feel that work convenience is very important. Taking a 9 hour day and turning it into 12 versus 10 or 11 really affects quality of life.

They really should be making wider roads in NJ like they do in California.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:59 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,694,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirShaikh View Post
Please tell me any other way to get onto NJ Turnpike that makes sense?

I know of 3 options...
1) Go down to Jamesburg.
2) RT-18
3) get on RT-1 towards Edison....merge into 440.

#1 is impractical.
#2 we all know.
#3...RT-1 is possible, but essentially a sister to RT-18, though not as congested.

BTW don't forget that all your shopping is on RT-18 as well.

Mind you...I think East Brunswick has a lot of positives. I just feel that work convenience is very important. Taking a 9 hour day and turning it into 12 versus 10 or 11 really affects quality of life.

They really should be making wider roads in NJ like they do in California.

Just because you're taking Exit 9 on the NJTPK doesn't mean you have to be on Rt. 18 the entire time.

There are a zillion of possibilities. Look at Yahoo Maps. Get a GPS. Plenty of side streets.

There are ways around 18.

EDIT: if speed is a concern, #1 is not impractical. If you live on the East Brunswick/Spotswood border, going to 8A instead of 9 is probably better for your sanity.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:07 PM

129 posts, read 381,001 times
The River Road Section of Piscataway is nice. No worries for you! Go for it!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:16 PM

877 posts, read 2,841,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Just because you're taking Exit 9 on the NJTPK doesn't mean you have to be on Rt. 18 the entire time.

There are a zillion of possibilities. Look at Yahoo Maps. Get a GPS. Plenty of side streets.

There are ways around 18.

EDIT: if speed is a concern, #1 is not impractical. If you live on the East Brunswick/Spotswood border, going to 8A instead of 9 is probably better for your sanity.
I live in North Brunswick, go through East Brunswick all the time and I NEVER drive on Rt 18. I know every way around it imaginable.

To get to the Turnpike you can take Rt 1 up to Woodbridge Ave head east and get on at 10. That's the way I'd do it from here. Depending on which side of Rt 18 you live on.

I never take the Turnpike south. I take Rt 1 all the way down to Lawrenceville and get on 295, it runs parallel in South Jersey.

North Brunswick is MUCH BETTER than Piscataway.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 PM

279 posts, read 1,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I live in North Brunswick, go through East Brunswick all the time and I NEVER drive on Rt 18. I know every way around it imaginable.

To get to the Turnpike you can take Rt 1 up to Woodbridge Ave head east and get on at 10. That's the way I'd do it from here. Depending on which side of Rt 18 you live on.

I never take the Turnpike south. I take Rt 1 all the way down to Lawrenceville and get on 295, it runs parallel in South Jersey.

North Brunswick is MUCH BETTER than Piscataway.
How is No Bruns "much better" than Pway? Based on what?

Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 PM

877 posts, read 2,841,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmgvr4 View Post
How is No Bruns "much better" than Pway? Based on what?
Being intimately familiar with both towns (live in NB and used to work in Pway) I can tell you both have many different sections, some of which are better than others.

Most of Piscataway is nice, but the big downer there is the Plainfield elements spilling over, and the sections near the border have a lot of hood attitude. I used to sub in the school district and it is getting into the high school now with many non-residents living on Rock Ave giving people a Pway address to get into the high school. North Brunswick borders one of the not-so-great areas of New Brunswick, but the police around here keep it safe. The only outsider sneaking into North Brunswick High in recent years was someone from Milltown who didn't want to go to Spotswood High, which is further away.

New Brunswick is not Plainfield. It's a college town with some bad elements in certain areas, but it is not the ghetto.

Also I think the general area on this side of the river is just nicer. Most of the areas up in Northern Middlesex are kinda old and cramped, a lot more densely populated with more traffic. While Southern Middlesex is much prettier and more spread out with lots of woods and trees around. It is a newer area as far as developing goes. I also personally like having instant access to Rts 1, 130 and 27 from where I live. Although you do have 287 in Pway which is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey