Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give insight to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:22 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Can anyone give insight to this?
Could you be a little more specific by what you mean by "streets" to avoid? Potholes? Roving gangs of upscale yuppies wearing the United Colors of Benetton?

C'mon, it's a tiny little town of fewer than 7000 people with a median income of over six figures. What are you expecting to encounter that you need to avoid?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Could you be a little more specific by what you mean by "streets" to avoid? Potholes? Roving gangs of upscale yuppies wearing the United Colors of Benetton?
That'd be my number 1 quality of life issue to be concerned about.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM

I wanted to get an insiders view on the most attractive streets vrs the lesser or unattractive streets and less desirable blocks to live on.

I've done an hour drive through and while there are no bad areas (crime, or potholes), I felt there are some streets that might not be a good investment. Here is my take, I was hoping to get yours;

The streets on the West part of town (next to Red Bank) were nice, Forrest, Lake, Harrison and the University names streets. Smaller houses, but nice.

Then the middle section b/w Hance and Fair Haven Rd was not all that nice, blocks like Jackson, Parker, Forman, Allen, Hendrickson, small houses, small lots, no trees, narrow streets, view of the back of the Acme or view of the town dump or is that the public works.

Then you have the East section, adjacent to Rumson (AKA River Oaks section), I thought that was very nice but expensive. Mostly ranch type homes.

Finally you have the north side along the Navesink River. Which is of course the nicest and most expensive section of town.

That's my take, but like I said I only drove around for an hour. I wanted to see what someone who lives there thinks. A place changes and grows on you the more you spend there, you see things and experience things one could not in a one hour drive through.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I wanted to get an insiders view on the most attractive streets vrs the lesser or unattractive streets and less desirable blocks to live on.

I've done an hour drive through and while there are no bad areas (crime, or potholes), I felt there are some streets that might not be a good investment. Here is my take, I was hoping to get yours;

The streets on the West part of town (next to Red Bank) were nice, Forrest, Lake, Harrison and the University names streets. Smaller houses, but nice.

Then the middle section b/w Hance and Fair Haven Rd was not all that nice, blocks like Jackson, Parker, Forman, Allen, Hendrickson, small houses, small lots, no trees, narrow streets, view of the back of the Acme or view of the town dump or is that the public works.

Then you have the East section, adjacent to Rumson (AKA River Oaks section), I thought that was very nice but expensive. Mostly ranch type homes.

Finally you have the north side along the Navesink River. Which is of course the nicest and most expensive section of town.

That's my take, but like I said I only drove around for an hour. I wanted to see what someone who lives there thinks. A place changes and grows on you the more you spend there, you see things and experience things one could not in a one hour drive through.
OK, that makes sense. Sorry, I don't know the place as well as you do. I've just gone there to a couple of garage sales/estate sales and met some friends for pizza at a bar there, too. Forget the name of the place, but the pizza was good.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:29 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Hey Oyster-
pretty much agree w/ your assessment. Closer to Rumson the better, although there are some very nice streets near the red bank border- don't remember the names though- mostly on the water side of river rd.
I agree that past Fair Haven rd over by the pond is a really nice pocket of homes- somewhat modest for the town - but still extremely nice (as modest as you can be for 500K+)
And the area by hance and the playground is not so nice- although Hance has some nice spots- but a busy rd- jackson, parker, 1st etc.... ironically they are putting up some new construction there and asking 600+ on blocks where the rest of the homes are 400K at best....
it seems that there are a good number of homes overpriced on the market still in fair haven- while the well priced ones sell quickly....I'm still seeing homes in the 550K range overpriced by 100K- liek the one on Elm- 1K sq foot- asking ~550K- i might understand if it was on the water or on the part literally next to rumson.....i'm sure that one will sit for months....

Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Hey Oyster-
pretty much agree w/ your assessment. Closer to Rumson the better, although there are some very nice streets near the red bank border- don't remember the names though- mostly on the water side of river rd.
I agree that past Fair Haven rd over by the pond is a really nice pocket of homes- somewhat modest for the town - but still extremely nice (as modest as you can be for 500K+)
And the area by hance and the playground is not so nice- although Hance has some nice spots- but a busy rd- jackson, parker, 1st etc.... ironically they are putting up some new construction there and asking 600+ on blocks where the rest of the homes are 400K at best....
it seems that there are a good number of homes overpriced on the market still in fair haven- while the well priced ones sell quickly....I'm still seeing homes in the 550K range overpriced by 100K- liek the one on Elm- 1K sq foot- asking ~550K- i might understand if it was on the water or on the part literally next to rumson.....i'm sure that one will sit for months....
Yeah that Elm house is a joke, they've got to be kidding. Another house sold over there for 615K it was bigger and pretty nice, with a sunroom. I like the house on Spruce but overpriced. There's one on Dartmouth that seems reasonable 550K 5bd 2bath 2500sq ft with a pool. However, it's been on the market a long time. Probably something majorly wrong with it? Best buy was that cape of Cambridge 1500 sq ft sold at 499K, real nice house but no garage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey