Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM

15 posts, read 18,186 times

Advertisements

We are moving to New Jersy. Need help to find a place to live. My husband will work in Newark. We have two kids, 4 year old and 1 year old. We would like to find a safe neighborhood with good public school.

Where are you coming from? Pittsburgh, PA
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working ? Newark

Will you buy or rent? rent
What is your budget ? $1500
What kind of place are you looking for ? 2-3 br apt or house

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes, spouse and 2 kids
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes

I appreciate any suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM

292 posts, read 718,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelei View Post
We are moving to New Jersy. Need help to find a place to live. My husband will work in Newark. We have two kids, 4 year old and 1 year old. We would like to find a safe neighborhood with good public school.

Where are you coming from? Pittsburgh, PA
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working ? Newark

Will you buy or rent? rent
What is your budget ? $1500
What kind of place are you looking for ? 2-3 br apt or house

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes, spouse and 2 kids
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes

I appreciate any suggestion.
Florham Park, Verona, or Wayne are your best bets based on what you are saying.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 AM

149 posts, read 596,503 times
One thing to consider is whether your husband will take a train or drive into Newark. I don't know if he has a preference. Their are pros and cons for both. If taking a train I would consider towns along the rail lines such as Morristown, Morris Plains, Parsippany, Denville, and Boonton. A word of advice if driving to Newark on I-280. Plan to take the First St. exit and learn the city roads to your office. I-280 past the First St. exit is horrible in the mornings.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM

thank you for your advice, i think he prefer to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
One thing to consider is whether your husband will take a train or drive into Newark. I don't know if he has a preference. Their are pros and cons for both. If taking a train I would consider towns along the rail lines such as Morristown, Morris Plains, Parsippany, Denville, and Boonton. A word of advice if driving to Newark on I-280. Plan to take the First St. exit and learn the city roads to your office. I-280 past the First St. exit is horrible in the mornings.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM

thank you. I will compare all of them, then make a decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Florham Park, Verona, or Wayne are your best bets based on what you are saying.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,748 times
$1,500 for a 2-3 bedroom apartment isn't gonna be easy to come by

Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
$1,500 for a 2-3 bedroom apartment isn't gonna be easy to come by
No, and renting a house is completely out of the question.

Maybe could find a two-bedroom apartment in some areas for that, but it's not going to be the towns with the best schools. Still, keep searching--you might find something, but you also might have to adjust your budget.

I rented a three-bedroom house for five years to get my daughter through high school in a good town with good schools--but not one of the top 25 or anything--and I paid $2200 a month. And this was a house that was 100+ years old with crooked doorways, a stone basement that flooded and pipes that broke. Now that was in Bergen County, so you are likely to find something cheaper elsewhere, but not $700 cheaper.

My last rental was $1400 for two bedrooms (and four leaks in the roof when it rained, lol.) That was in Monmouth County--in an Abbott district town.

I think the most difficult thing for people new to NJ to accept is the reality of our housing costs here. I think they don't want to believe it and are hoping it really isn't true.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelei View Post
thank you. I will compare all of them, then make a decision
Wayne is a good idea--there are lots of garden apartment complexes there, and you might find something in your budget in one of them. It's a nice town with everything close by.

Edit:

Hey, just for the heck of it, I ran a search for rentals on Realtor.com with 2+ bedrooms but I used $1800 max for the dollar value, just to be a little more realistic. Got some hits there, including a couple of sf homes.

http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/.../price-na-1800

Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Is his office walking distance to NJ Transit in Newark? It 's called Newark Penn Station (note that Manhattan also has a New York Penn Station,

Living on a train line that goes to Newark would make sense. You can see the train lines at www.njtransit.com and see how long it would take to get from "your town" to Newark.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM

Thank you so much, I will take a look. I guess we need to adjust our budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wayne is a good idea--there are lots of garden apartment complexes there, and you might find something in your budget in one of them. It's a nice town with everything close by.

Edit:

Hey, just for the heck of it, I ran a search for rentals on Realtor.com with 2+ bedrooms but I used $1800 max for the dollar value, just to be a little more realistic. Got some hits there, including a couple of sf homes.

http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/.../price-na-1800
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey