Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 07:40 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

The standardization of EZpass is incomplete as the varried location of lanes, combo cash and ezpass lanes, speeds thru ezpass lanes and even gates on ezpass lanes create a dangerous situation. I guarantee any traffic safety officer looking at the variations will cringe at the confusion created by this mosaic of ezpass structures which ignore everyone but everyday local users. Accidents waitng to happen.

5 mph and ezpass gates are someone's passive way of opposing the intent of ezpass.

Just as 55 mph is posted on sections of 287 in nj and 84 in hartford and waterbury, travelling the posted speed limit in these areas is sure disaster and demands the law be violated. The reality is not considered in many laws and thus creates an excellent source of revenue when needed.

The lack of standardized ezpass locations, structure and speeds across states is a recipe for confusion if not disaster. Lot of work to still accomplish.

The states that honor ezpass need to come together and agree on standardized presentations of ezpass lanes to travellers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:47 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The standardization of EZpass is incomplete as the varried location of lanes, combo cash and ezpass lanes, speeds thru ezpass lanes and even gates on ezpass lanes create a dangerous situation. I guarantee any traffic safety officer looking at the variations will cringe at the confusion created by this mosaic of ezpass structures which ignore everyone but everyday local users. Accidents waitng to happen.

5 mph and ezpass gates are someone's passive way of opposing the intent of ezpass.

Just as 55 mph is posted on sections of 287 in nj and 84 in hartford and waterbury, travelling the posted speed limit in these areas is sure disaster and demands the law be violated. The reality is not considered in many laws and thus creates an excellent source of revenue when needed.

The lack of standardized ezpass locations, structure and speeds across states is a recipe for confusion if not disaster. Lot of work to still accomplish.

The states that honor ezpass need to come together and agree on standardized presentations of ezpass lanes to travellers.
Yes, and the EZ-Pass Interagency Group (IAG) does exist--I believe it's 12 states and 23 agencies, but I suspect they are concentrating more on things like reciprocity and not on traffic safety issues.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 PM

Really!!!????

IAG???????

well that is one organization that needs to be re-organized, abolished and re-created or repopulated....hope the taxpayers aren't footing the bill.

Do they meet in Vegas to discuss business?

Well let's look them up.

here is a start:
http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/4765

Last edited by Kracer; 05-05-2012 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Default Iag

"The Group
The thinking behind the name change was that E-ZPass Inter Agency Group was too much of a mouthful. As a result industry people abbreviated it to "IAG" but that made it a mystery that had to be explained all the time to outsiders."

Here ya go, men at work! Be safe my fellow travellers, no longer will you have to utter such a long name when refering to the guys that control EZ-pass.

Imagine the torment and anguish these men had to endure to solve the 'mystery' and come up with a name!

Well maybe they have another agenda item once this is settled?
Wonder what that could be. You know that bluish ez-pass color could be revisited to something brighter. any volunteers to form a committee and hire a consultant to evaluate colors? Oh, your bro-in-law has a consulting group, great. My nephew is looking for a summer job. Now what were we talking about?

Last edited by Kracer; 05-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 PM

Amazing website!

"Contenders are Mark IV and TransCore.

Very different personalities
Wilkins is a very different personality from Crawford at least in the initial impression they give. Wilkins is relaxed, approachable, easygoing. Crawford has a reputation for being a frosty severe character. However we can reveal that underneath that harsh exterior there's a regular lovable guy. Sometimes you have to drill down a bit to find the real Jim, but he's there.
Crawford was recently interviewed by Governor Christie's team for the job of New Jersey Secretary of Transportation. He says he didn't go all out for the job, and isn't unhappy he didn't get it. He's most keen to be able to relax and see family more."

Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Really!!!????

IAG???????

well that is one organization that needs to be re-organized, abolished and re-created or repopulated....hope the taxpayers aren't footing the bill.

Do they meet in Vegas to discuss business?

Well let's look them up.

here is a start:
E-ZPass IAG gets new name & new face | TOLLROADSnews
Bad start. Of all the agencies and websites in the transportation business, Toll Road News is sort of like the New York Post.

Curious that you skipped the agency's site itself, but then again, it doesn't seem to offer a lot of public info anyway.

E-ZPass Group - Home

I don't think the taxpayers are footing the bill, the tollpayers are. Who in all likelihood are taxpayers anyway, but a subset of them.

And they have political connections. I'm shocked, shocked I tells ya.

If they meet in Vegas, I wanna join.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Okay I guess after years and decades of drinking the Kool-Aid no one can see the trees in the forest anymore. Who said there has to be any tolls? Well I guess if we are going to pay people $350 k a year to supervise others making $150K to watch people drive in and pay for new skyscrapers to be built then we need tolls.
Now that you got that off your chest, mind answering my question? How do you propose maintenance of these roads occur? Are you willing to pay higher taxes?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Now that you got that off your chest, mind answering my question? How do you propose maintenance of these roads occur? Are you willing to pay higher taxes?
Many have suggested "pay at the pump", I say ONLY IF we get rid of tolls, not both increased gas tax and tolls.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Many have suggested "pay at the pump", I say ONLY IF we get rid of tolls, not both increased gas tax and tolls.
You still didn't answer the question. Are you including yourself in the "many"?

Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
I have always said though, that if the road is SIGNED, for instance, I-95 is signed as an interstate, then the federal portion of your gasoline tax is already incorporated into the bill. I will maintain steadfastly that if I-95 is a federal highway, as the Turnpike is recognized from exit 6 northward, then the NJ ******* is paying the federal gas tax AND the toll. If you consider the state portion of the maintenance of interstates, which I believe is 10% of the total, then the gas tax should be raised to pay that 10% share of the highway. The federal government is still responsible for 90% of the interstate highway fund, the other 10% is matching from the state.

If there is really no other way for the feds to pay maintenance on these bridges, and it is a state responsibility, then I am all for paying more at the pump, but only if the federal government is unable to pay its 90% pledge.

In any event, there should be no tolls, period. They are a waste of infrastructure, create increased air pollution, and create patronage jobs, in addition to the fact they slow traffic and are a source of increased traffic fatalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey