Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatz View Post

Hard to believe the association hasn't done something by now w/o anyone saying anything.
So say something instead of just complaining to random people on the interwebs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Pretty sure it is his personal truck. I used the term "woprk truck" because that's what it looks like. It's not a SUV or a pick-up truck that we normally drive. It's more like a Hertz truck.
Commercial plates? Yes or no. This is where if you don't know, you go out and look right now and come back and report the result.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 PM

81 posts, read 195,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So say something instead of just complaining to random people on the interwebs.

Uh, mr/ms smartarse, I asked for an opinion.

Why don't u get a life instead of being a flamer on the Internet.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 PM

81 posts, read 195,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Commercial plates? Yes or no. This is where if you don't know, you go out and look right now and come back and report the result.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. That is one of the 1st things a few neighbors noticed last year. It has regular plates.

Which now that I think about it is kinda interesting. At what point does a truck become a commercial vehicle? Must be for one larger than this one.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Sorry I wasn't more clear. That is one of the 1st things a few neighbors noticed last year. It has regular plates.

Which now that I think about it is kinda interesting. At what point does a truck become a commercial vehicle? Must be for one larger than this one.
Sounds suspicious. I would call the police and have them run the plates to verify that they legally reference this truck. If the truck is a certain size or weight, I believe commercial plates are required. If that is the case, you are home free and can seek removal of the vehicle. Perhaps he just slapped some regular plates on the thing to enable parking. Worth investigating.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Uh, mr/ms smartarse, I asked for an opinion.

Why don't u get a life instead of being a flamer on the Internet.
I gave you an opinion. Apparently you didn't like it.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
The only stated rules are that vehicles must be registered, in working order, and can't be commercial. I don't think anyone conceived of a situation where someone owns a working vehicle and let's it sit forever.

I certainly wouldn't.
If it's a 15' box truck, it should be registered commercial, so it would be in violation of the rules you noted above.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,913 times
At my association, trucks with commercial plates are permitted to park overnight as long as there is no commercial writing on the vehicle. In addition to that rul though, we do have a regulation that ANY vehicle has to be moved every 30 days to avoid this same situation. I would see if you have a regulation similiar to that vs. commercial vehicle vs. personal use vehicle.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 AM

527 posts, read 1,408,659 times
As I see it.
You live in a Townhouse community
This space is an "extra" space , not belonging to you
You just do not like the look of the truck where it is, because your townhouse happens to be close to these extra spaces.

Assuming the truck is legal, no commercial tags.
Your only recourse is the community by-laws.

Many times there are time limits that these extra spaces can be used at one time.

If not, you will have to appeal to the board,
maybe as an eyesore, or put time limits in place.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:36 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,913 times
If there are no by-laws or regulations from the masterdeed that discuss being an eyesore or length of time parked in the spot then there is no recourse the board/association could take other then drafting a resolution that would amend the by-laws which generally has to be approved by a general quoram within the community (generally 50% +1).

As the Vice President of my condo board, that is easier said then done even if the resolution makes perfect sense. Most homeowners either do not vote due to complacency or do not want to sign anything stating that additional fines or consequences may be levied on their fellow homeowners. Also, in this situation, getting a lot of people to buy in to a change because 1 homeowner does not like the "view" of the truck is going to be difficult.

Have you tried speaking directly with your neighbor? Maybe s/he is unaware that you are bothered by the truck being parked there. Maybe if you simply ask for the vehicle to be moved your neighbor will comply. Not everything has to be escalated to another level or authority when a simple neighborly conversation might suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
As I see it.
You live in a Townhouse community
This space is an "extra" space , not belonging to you
You just do not like the look of the truck where it is, because your townhouse happens to be close to these extra spaces.

Assuming the truck is legal, no commercial tags.
Your only recourse is the community by-laws.

Many times there are time limits that these extra spaces can be used at one time.

If not, you will have to appeal to the board,
maybe as an eyesore, or put time limits in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: