Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:53 PM

122 posts, read 210,952 times

Advertisements

How do people here feel about the fact that we are killing our bears, and it is a State Mandate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 01:22 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
thank God its over. I feel like its terrible. I live with the bears, they walk right down my street. This year I did not see anymore infact I actually saw less. I think its wrong, am totally against bear killing, there are better solutions. I would never be friends withsomeone who participes in this or want to know them. Marilyn

Old 12-23-2010, 04:13 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
I support hunting rights 100%. I haven't hunted in North Jersey in close to 2 years now (the last time was with old friends, as I've given up trying to go through firearms registration in this state), but when I move down south, I'm hoping to get back to hunting and fishing quite regularly

As for it being a state mandate, I'm mixed about that. That is done to cull the population so as to not have bears wandering into new developments and human population, but NJ is already the most dense state in the country and has been on the path to becoming NYC's 6th borough for the past 50 years. I advocate cessation of the endless tide of new development and construction.

The bears, deer, and other animals are wandering into human living space because we are eradicating theirs.

Who wants to destroy wildlife and nature in NJ? Hunters are the last people to want that type of existence.

On the contrary, I'd like to see NJ start looking a little more Pennsylvania and a little less Manhattan.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:43 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
but when I move down south
Andele! Andele!

Old 12-23-2010, 04:45 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Andele! Andele!
Openheads, since we disagree on just about everything else in life, I think that is the one event that will simultaneously fill both of us with joy

Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
We should have stricter zoning laws , like other states do....and start cleaning up our cities which creates a vacuum in the population dept. Only the NJ Gold Coast has been successful at that , but the Major of people who moved to there are Ex-New Yorkers. Each part of NJ has a Pull city in my opinion , Northeastern NJ has Hackensack and Paterson both have been cleaning there cities up over the past 10 years , and slowly growing. Western Jersey has Morristown which has been cleaned up and built up over the past 10 years , that has started sucking on the population in Morris , Warren and Sussex commuting mainly commuter couples moving down. If we could clean up Essex county that would help alot , but the state seems to have other ideas.... Harrison and Elizabeth seem to be redeveloping there old Industrial areas into Dense developments....which will house all types of income...overall Union County has done a great job of smart growth........i could go on and on about this separate but related topic.....but we need to stop expanding these suburbs.....this is part of the reason why were in this recession in the first place. It also hurts the eco system....

Old 12-23-2010, 05:44 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I support hunting rights 100%. I haven't hunted in North Jersey in close to 2 years now (the last time was with old friends, as I've given up trying to go through firearms registration in this state), but when I move down south, I'm hoping to get back to hunting and fishing quite regularly

As for it being a state mandate, I'm mixed about that. That is done to cull the population so as to not have bears wandering into new developments and human population, but NJ is already the most dense state in the country and has been on the path to becoming NYC's 6th borough for the past 50 years. I advocate cessation of the endless tide of new development and construction.

The bears, deer, and other animals are wandering into human living space because we are eradicating theirs.

Who wants to destroy wildlife and nature in NJ? Hunters are the last people to want that type of existence.

On the contrary, I'd like to see NJ start looking a little more Pennsylvania and a little less Manhattan.

I'm in agreement on what you said....I could never hunt but I respect the right for hunters to hunt

Yes we have them running around our neighborhoods because theirs, their dens are eradicated every time we build another boring housing development

Old 12-23-2010, 06:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Personally I have no problem with it. The hunts are designed to cull the population so that the bears have enough resources on what little land they have left to survive. Bears only enter human areas for one reason, food. They only do that when they run out of their normal sources. While deer would simply starve to death in the woods if we didn't hunt them, bears will enter human areas and a really hungry bear may actually hurt a human. Culling the population essentially keeps the bears from starving.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:49 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
What do they do with the bears once they hunt them? I'm from PA, and we had bears in our back yard quite regularly. We had larger properties, but not giganticly larger properties. I'm not sure which towns in NJ have these big bear problems, as I haven't followed the news on this, but I think they could come up with better solutions for monitoring the population. I'm not anti-hunting, but if there is no purpose for the hunt (hunt deer, eat venison), then I don't see the point.

When we start hunting animals because they're encroaching our space - it's time to take a step back and remember...we encroached theirs, so now we have to figure out a way to exist with them. Stop developing in those areas maybe?

Old 12-23-2010, 08:06 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
What do they do with the bears once they hunt them? I'm from PA, and we had bears in our back yard quite regularly. We had larger properties, but not giganticly larger properties. I'm not sure which towns in NJ have these big bear problems, as I haven't followed the news on this, but I think they could come up with better solutions for monitoring the population. I'm not anti-hunting, but if there is no purpose for the hunt (hunt deer, eat venison), then I don't see the point.

When we start hunting animals because they're encroaching our space - it's time to take a step back and remember...we encroached theirs, so now we have to figure out a way to exist with them. Stop developing in those areas maybe?
I'm not anti-hunting, either, but I felt a little sad at the photos of the dead bears in the newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey