U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,435 times

Advertisements

We are family of three including 3 yr old son. we are considering moving to NJ from queens, ny. My husband and I both work in nyc and would like our commute not more than 90 mins door to door. Our budget for a house is 400K and we are looking to pay tax no more than 9k. We are looking for a good school, safe town in NJ and nice parks around in the neigborhood. What do you think of Nutley? or Paramus? We like Nutley but would like to know about other areas in NJ. Any suggestion is truely appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 10:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,835,716 times
Both are great towns and would have pretty comparable commutes into the city. Paramus taxes will be much lower due to all the commercial tax coming in, but you will have to deal with Saturday traffic with all the malls and big-box stores that line 17 and 4. It might be worth it though, it's a town of consideration when it comes to buy-time for my girlfriend and I. You might want to look at Fair Lawn as well, two NJT train stations there and low-ish taxes. Rutherford/East Rutherford, Lyndhurst, Carlstadt, Wood-Ridge and Hasbrouck Heights could also do ya well.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 AM

13 posts, read 25,702 times
Other good areas might be Verona, NJ which has beautiful Verona Park, and Caldwell with Grover Cleveland Park with walking/biking paths, tot area and also tennis courts. Good homes can be found in the area for the price you mentioned and tax range. Both have good schools although Livingston and Glen Ridge Schools rate in the top 10 for NJ. Glen Ridge and Montclair, NJ have lovely parks and also direct express trains to mid-town Manhattan. Homes can run a little higher in train towns though. Nutley is also good but a little more metropolitan than the ones I have just mentioned. Paramus is really a cross-roads of many highways and can be very conjested during the week with all of the shopping malls and stores although Sundays is quieter there since they have the "blue" law of not being open on Sundays. Helping people find homes in these area is what I do. If you need further info, I'll be happy to oblige.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:12 AM

1,203 posts, read 2,835,716 times
Great suggestions above as well. Verona is an excellent town, you'd be close to Montclair as well. Bergen County's Blue Laws are really only nice if you're a Paramus resident, everyone else gets frustrated if you need to go somewhere on a Sunday and the entire county is closed...

Old 05-13-2012, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,435 times
Thank you all for responding. Between nutley and Verona which town is more desirable? Also we are asian American, would like to in a town that is more accepting. How is commute going to be from verona to NYC as we both work in the city midtown east. Thanks

Last edited by Yukusel; 05-13-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 07:22 PM

72,133 posts, read 68,139,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukusel View Post
Thank you all for responding. Between nutley and Verona which town is more desirable? Also we are asian American, would like to in a town that is more accepting. How is commute going to be from verona to NYC as we both work in the city midtown east. Thanks
I'm personally not familiar with the commuting details of either town, but I can't think of any town in North Jersey where you'd need to worry about being Asian-American. There are so many Asians of different countries of origin in NJ now, immigrant as well as American-born, that you won't warrant the blink of an eye.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 PM

89 posts, read 346,646 times
Both Nutley and Verona are good choices, as well as The Caldwells, Roseland and Little Falls (except for the flood zone areas). In your price and tax range, Nutley currently has the most choice of available housing stock. The commute from Nutley would most likely be by NJ transit bus into Port Authority. Verona has some nice properties on the market and the commute into the city would be by the private Decamp Bus service. This bus travels down Bloomfield Ave. and goes through The Caldwells and outskirts of Roseland, through Verona and Montclair. Little Falls, in Passaic County, has access to the train line, as well as the NJ Transit bus. All of these towns have good schools, a quick commute into the city and a choice of attractive homes in your price range.

If you would like me to send you listings of local homes which might work for you, feel free to send me a direct message.

Last edited by zap02; 05-14-2012 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: left out a few words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey