Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 07:22 AM

332 posts, read 527,613 times

Advertisements

Way too late to do anything about it now, yet since this happened 2 months ago, it once again became a thought in my head.

I take public transportation to get to and from where I need to go, even though it's tiring and wish I had a car. I'm a current college student, but like I did that day, was looking for employment. In Iselin I was walking back to the Metropark train station from filling out an application by walking along Gill Lane and the road that leads to the train station. I forget the name of it.

I go inside the Men's bathroom to take a Number 2. This guy, who sounds white, comes in to take a **** at the stall beside another guy. However, he eventually says some very rude stuff as I may still recall:

"Ok pisser over there, s***ter over there"
"New Jersey is such a backwards state"

And the most threatening of all, and hope you all affected by this are OK if I post this:

"I wish Al-Qaida would've bomb these guys"

When I came home that day, I spoke to my roommate in the apartment that I currently stay at. He believes that I should've contacted the local authorities. Sure thing I would've flushed the toilet, washed my hands and spoke to the ticket clerk behind the desk so she could probably call NJ Transit or the Woodbridge Township police. By the way, Iselin is part of Woodbridge Township for those who don't know even though I took the train down from my Elizabeth residence.

Yet it wasn't a thought in my mind at the time, so I didn't even do it. Do you think contacting the local authorities would've been a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,318,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
Way too late to do anything about it now, yet since this happened 2 months ago, it once again became a thought in my head.

I take public transportation to get to and from where I need to go, even though it's tiring and wish I had a car. I'm a current college student, but like I did that day, was looking for employment. In Iselin I was walking back to the Metropark train station from filling out an application by walking along Gill Lane and the road that leads to the train station. I forget the name of it.

I go inside the Men's bathroom to take a Number 2. This guy, who sounds white, comes in to take a **** at the stall beside another guy. However, he eventually says some very rude stuff as I may still recall:

"Ok pisser over there, s***ter over there"
"New Jersey is such a backwards state"

And the most threatening of all, and hope you all affected by this are OK if I post this:

"I wish Al-Qaida would've bomb these guys"

When I came home that day, I spoke to my roommate in the apartment that I currently stay at. He believes that I should've contacted the local authorities. Sure thing I would've flushed the toilet, washed my hands and spoke to the ticket clerk behind the desk so she could probably call NJ Transit or the Woodbridge Township police. By the way, Iselin is part of Woodbridge Township for those who don't know even though I took the train down from my Elizabeth residence.

Yet it wasn't a thought in my mind at the time, so I didn't even do it. Do you think contacting the local authorities would've been a good idea?
Law enforcement is always saying to report anything suspicious.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 AM

550 posts, read 1,182,806 times
I am confused, can u clarify exactly what you perceive happened?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Law enforcement is always saying to report anything suspicious.
You're right, I remember now. Could've did this without saying anything to the guy.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
I am confused, can u clarify exactly what you perceive happened?
Let's just say this guy who's probably not from New Jersey was making terroristic threats about our state, and I should've reported it when it happened 2 months ago.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,055,275 times
The authorities are reading this already so it's been reported.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 AM

10,219 posts, read 19,126,604 times
That's not a terroristic threat, that's just someone running their mouth because they're pissed off. I'm pretty sure Al Quaida doesn't take requests from random guys in mens rooms.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 AM

19,050 posts, read 25,167,084 times
While it is probably better to err on the side of caution, the OP should remember that people sometimes use hyperbolic statements that are not to be interpreted literally.

For instance, if you hear a child say something like, "my mother/father is going to kill me because of this bad test grade", hopefully you don't immediately phone the DYFS hotline. Without knowing the actual context in which something was said, as well as the mindset of the individuals involved, it is not really possible to know somebody's actual intent.

Still, in this day and age, it is best to report any actions or words that appear to be suspicious or dangerous. In many cases, this is a true judgment call.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
While it is probably better to err on the side of caution, the OP should remember that people sometimes use hyperbolic statements that are not to be interpreted literally.

For instance, if you hear a child say something like, "my mother/father is going to kill me because of this bad test grade", hopefully you don't immediately phone the DYFS hotline. Without knowing the actual context in which something was said, as well as the mindset of the individuals involved, it is not really possible to know somebody's actual intent.

Still, in this day and age, it is best to report any actions or words that appear to be suspicious or dangerous. In many cases, this is a true judgment call.
That's why I didn't respond right away obviously. I figured the guy was just upset about something else so I didn't rush to finish in the bathroom. Yet even if people say that as a joke, it could still lead to serious jail time. One guy yelled "Bomb" twice in Newark Airport and five years later, he still hasn't come out. What happened in 9/11 came as complete surprise, so of course security is going to step it up more often than normal.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 AM
s06

105 posts, read 255,777 times
You don't know the context of the situation. For all you know, the guy might've been ridiculed or taunted by someone, moments before, and was just expressing his anger and frustration. Haven't you ever felt angry after being bullied by someone and said things that you wouldn't really do in real life? (That's a rhetorical question. You don't really have to give an answer.) The guy wasn't physically assaulting, or shouting, at anyone-only saying words in a restroom.

I've said similar things to myself, letting off steam, when no one else is around, after being laughed at by children or spoken to in a condescending way, because I was surprised, hurt, and angry. That doesn't mean that I'm willing to physically attack or shout at innocent people. In fact, I think I'm bullied because people can subconsciously tell that I'm not going to harm them for their comments.

Last edited by s06; 05-13-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey