Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 AM

173 posts, read 657,855 times

Advertisements

What should we do? Rent a nice townhome for $2700 in Plainsboro, or buy a small 3 Br house in Scotch Plains? So lost in this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
That seems awfully high for rent unless it is an extremely nice place. But really, you haven't given nearly enough information for anyone to really help you.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 AM

291 posts, read 977,454 times
It seems that rents are generally high right now due to relatively high demand. With the standards to get a mortgage loan being tighter (higher down payments, higher credit scores than what used to get you a mortgage), and with so many of the people who ARE qualified to buy, waiting on the sidelines to see what the market is doing, there are a lot of renters.

I also think that there are quite a few rentals out there with somewhat unrealistic initial asking prices, because some people are buying a new home but hoping to rent out their current home and cover their mortgage with a tenant, vs. selling now at what that they think is at or close to the bottom of the market. But IME, people sometimes start off asking what they need to get for the place, and don't always consider the actual rents in their area.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 PM

I have checked all over for a nice, upgraded townhome, and the price point for a 2 or 3 bedroom EVERYWHERE seems to be $2700, with top move in condition units going for 3K. I've checked all the way from Nanuet, NY, out to Basking Ridge, and down to Princeton. My standard is just that, standard. I know what one can buy for 200K in the Chicago suburbs. Just such units. They are so darn overpriced here.

I hate having to pay such high rent, I wonder how much negotiating room there is in the rental market...

Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperpile View Post
I have checked all over for a nice, upgraded townhome, and the price point for a 2 or 3 bedroom EVERYWHERE seems to be $2700, with top move in condition units going for 3K. I've checked all the way from Nanuet, NY, out to Basking Ridge, and down to Princeton. My standard is just that, standard. I know what one can buy for 200K in the Chicago suburbs. Just such units. They are so darn overpriced here.

I hate having to pay such high rent, I wonder how much negotiating room there is in the rental market...
You might do better in the Monmouth County area, if that works for you. Prices seem a little better, and you've got an ocean nearby to boot.

However, I was somewhat doubtful of your claim, so I went on Realtor.com and did searches on rentals in Mahwah, figuring that if any place in New Jersey could be considered the land of townhouses, that's the one.

You are right about those prices. Damn!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:26 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,164,666 times
Quote:
I know what one can buy for 200K in the Chicago suburbs. Just such units. They are so darn overpriced here.
Comparision like this is meaningless. Tri-state property values are much higher compared to the rest of the country, I don't care that you can buy a mansion in Florida under 300k, it is not happening here.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:37 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,326,828 times
Quote:
What should we do? Rent a nice townhome for $2700 in Plainsboro, or buy a small 3 Br house in Scotch Plains? So lost in this....
It is becoming a good time to buy: 1) mortgage rates are ridiculously low. You can lock a 30-year rate under 4%; 2) prices are way off historic highs; 3) mortgage deductions are still in-place; 4) rents have risen so much that buying now makes economic sense.

If you can afford the downpayment and have good credit, consider buying.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,190,344 times
Quote:
both the towns are so far apart that comparing them makes little sense. so does comparing prices to Chicago.

a rent vs buy decision can hardly be made on how much each costs. there are far more factors to be considered. if money was the only factor, hardly anyone would opt to rent when owning only costs a fraction more.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:15 AM

Except the home values are still going down. Some as fast as $50K in 6 months. I find it very risky to buy at this time. I find it a pity that everything in a reasonable price range (to buy or rent) is old, small, and a general disaster.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:23 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,632,212 times
Default Except the home values are still going down. Some as fast as $50K in 6 months

The proverbial crystal ball. Rents are high in this area because the person that bought the townhouse or home paid a fairly high price. It's economics 101. Someone isn't going to fork out 3 or 4 hundred thousand on a property and pay 10K in property taxes and fees and rent it for 1,000 bucks a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey