Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:04 PM

10 posts, read 18,651 times

Advertisements

I have been here for three monthsnowand still can't get over someone pumping gas for me. I would rather just do it myself.

With that being said, I close on my house in Boonton Township this week and officially become a resident of NJ. That too will take some getting use to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 12:07 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,636 times
Nope. Only Oregon and New Jersey politicians think residents of those states are too stupid to pump their own gas. Given the politicians we've elected on both sides of the aisle here n NJ, I have to agree.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:08 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
The official answer to your question is, no.
The unofficial answer is...yes in most cases.

Despite NJ law, I almost always pump my own gas--with bad weather or wearing formal clothing being the times when I don't pump it myself.
I have never had a gas attendant stop me from doing this, and--in fact--I am thanked by them very often.

My experience suggests that you can ignore this law, with little likelihood of any problem arising from your actions.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:54 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
I have always found this law extremely annoying. There is usually only one attendant at the gas station trying to serve 4 or more cars simultaneously. So you end up spending about twice as long at the gas station as you would if you had pumped yourself. I think the only reason this law still exists is because people complained that it would put gas station attendants out of work.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Nope. Only Oregon and New Jersey politicians think residents of those states are too stupid to pump their own gas. Given the politicians we've elected on both sides of the aisle here n NJ, I have to agree.

Not too stupid, just too high and mighty.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:22 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
What a good idea for a thread! It's about time we discussed this "gas pumping" issue in the NJ forum.

BTW, every poll I have ever seen shows the majority of NJ citizens are in favor of the law...as am I.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
The NJ Gasoline Retailers association is the reason there is no pump your own in NJ.
Thousand of people are employed in NJ just pumping gas for minimum wage. Those same people in other states are collecting welfare.

To you guys who love to pump your own gas wait until it's 10 degrees with wind blown sleet in your face and you'll be glad somebody is pumping for you.

For those of you who love to play gas jockey most stations where you are a regular customer will let you pump your own.

BTW ask those in NY and PA who pay more for gas than NJ if they mind having somebody pump for them when they cross the border for cheaper gas.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:48 AM

328 posts, read 1,049,320 times
Yes, there is one place within the state of NJ where you MUST pump your own gas. NJ laws do not apply. Unfortunately you must military to utilize it because it's on McGuire AFB.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:28 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What a good idea for a thread! It's about time we discussed this "gas pumping" issue in the NJ forum.

BTW, every poll I have ever seen shows the majority of NJ citizens are in favor of the law...as am I.
LOL, Anesthesia. Yeah, geez, it's amazing that NEVER BEFORE has anyone ever said anything about this on City-Data.

I've lived here all my life and I'm fine with someone pumping my gas. It's what we've always been used to and I certainly don't think of it one way or another when I pull into a gas station. I don't get upset if I have to wait an extra minute or two because there are other customers ahead of me, either.

I must be old, because I can remember gas station attendants in other states pumping gas for us, too, but now, when I leave the state and have to pump my own, I do so. My life is not so small and simple that this is a huge issue to wrestle with.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:35 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, Anesthesia. Yeah, geez, it's amazing that NEVER BEFORE has anyone ever said anything about this on City-Data.

I've lived here all my life and I'm fine with someone pumping my gas. It's what we've always been used to and I certainly don't think of it one way or another when I pull into a gas station. I don't get upset if I have to wait an extra minute or two because there are other customers ahead of me, either.

I must be old, because I can remember gas station attendants in other states pumping gas for us, too, but now, when I leave the state and have to pump my own, I do so. My life is not so small and simple that this is a huge issue to wrestle with.
I'm 43 and I can still remember when they would automatically clean your windows, and if asked, check your oil and air pressure. I wish they still cleaned the windows, though now the car checks the other stuff itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey