Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't think anything that beyond the PATH could realistically become "the next Hoboken". I mean, people want good transportation, and while a train every 30 minutes might be alright for commuting purposes, people like the ability to just walk out the door and know that they won't have to wait long for a train.

I mean, maybe Secaucus (because so many trains lines pass through there), but that's about it. The only other places that could really become the "next Hoboken" would be in Newark, Jersey City, and Harrison (the parts bordering the PATH). Maybe if they ran 10 minute service on the Northeast Corridor Line, Elizabeth or Rahway could possibly become the next Hoboken, but that's a big maybe. Anything past that is just too far out (I mean, New Brunswick is like what? 45 minutes on an express train. That's just too long and coupled with a long wait, it's going to really put a damper on it's growth. Maybe it could grow more around Rutgers, but that's it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:58 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
hoboken is like nyc because it's right next to manhattan

unless fort lee, edgewater,weehawken and cliffside park get a tunnel

......no

Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Hoboken has the Hudson waterfront and a subway connection to Manhattan. What's amazing there is it managed to remain so screwed up for so long. Carteret has a NJ transit connection and a rather unspectacular waterfront. Not to mention the refinery stink.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:44 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
No .....is Rahway & The Amboys the next Hoboken....yes...
Please don't yuppy-fy The Perth.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
No. Why in the world would Carteret of all places become the next Hoboken? It's not even urban. It's not pretty. It's not that close to the city. Hoboken became popular because 1) it's next to Manhattan and 2) it's pretty.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:08 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Quite a few years ago, they had all these vacant builtings up there with signs all over them like they are waiting for something to happen. But personally I think the stench of everything there as well as the fact that it is visually unappealing will be what keeps it undesirable. It is also not in the best location either. I often wonder what inspired them to use that slogan "The Center Of It All".

I never thought Rahway or Linden were that great either. The Amboys have both been improving. I am kind of surprised that New Brunswick was not mentioned. To me it seems more obvious there than anywhere else around here.
I don't think there is a chance in hell of New Brunswick ever being cleaned up. They've tried, but the area is too poor and depressed. You'd figure it would be a lot nicer since it's a college town but they straight up cannot get their act together. However isn't Highland Park (next door) supposed to be quite nice?

Rahway and Linden seem to be poorer versions of Cranford and Garwood. They are acceptable, but not very desirable. I'm sure you can find some BEAUTIFUL homes there but the area itself is kind of patchy and near the hood. It seems mostly safe though.

Carteret just seems like an industrial wasteland when you drive through it on 95 South. It's not exactly close to the city either.

I think the only areas that stand getting to be up to Hoboken gentrification are parts of Jersey and Union City. That is also strictly because of the commuting issue to NYC. This isn't necessarily a good thing as Hoboken is way too overpriced and uniform for it's own good.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM

10,467 posts, read 6,982,705 times
That town is not even really desirable to work in.. why the hell would someone want to invest or move there!?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
The key here is row houses/brownstones. Almost every area that has these has gone through a renaissance. This includes downtown JC, Hoboken, Harlem, most of Brooklyn within quick subway ride to Manhattan, Astoria(most parts anyway), and Mott Haven in the Bronx. All of those areas were considered terrible not more than 30 years ago.

The reason why...simple. They look like Manhattan. I believe it's the overall architectural aesthetic that leads to the gentrification of an area.

When you start to get into neighborhoods with two family houses vs. brownstones/row houses( parts of Astoria, LIC, Union City, Bayonne, etc) your chances for gentrification start going down rapidly).

Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Please don't yuppy-fy The Perth.
It won't niether Amboy will , but both will become dense cities later this decade.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:51 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I don't think there is a chance in hell of New Brunswick ever being cleaned up. They've tried, but the area is too poor and depressed. You'd figure it would be a lot nicer since it's a college town but they straight up cannot get their act together. However isn't Highland Park (next door) supposed to be quite nice?
When was the last time you were there? It has gotten a lot better and safer over the last ten years. In another 10 years it will be all Rutgers and J&J. It is commonly known as a party town nowadays. OK maybe a 45-minute train ride to NYC is a bit far, but that is part of its appeal that it has its own identity.

Highland Park is just a glorified suburban bedroom community. I don't ever see it becoming a destination town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey