Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times

Advertisements

Simple solution..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Since it seems no one realizes it, standards for schoo lunches are set by the USDA. They need to contain a certain mix of foods from different groups on a "point" system designed to create a balanced lunch. This is why Congress decided that pizza was a "vegetable" it was so the tomato sauce in the pizza would count as a serving of vegetables. You will also notice that most pizza days in schools will also have a vegetable or salad on the side to round out the requirements. New standards are just going into effect after the efforts of the First Lady to overhaul the school lunch programs, it is the first change in over 15 years to what comprised the menu.

Final Rule: Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs

With that said, what is actually served can vary widely, it just has to meet the certain minimums and guidelines. All public schools are required to meet these standards and "high need districts" those with large portions of economically disadvantaged kids get extra assistance and attention, hence why the one poster saw such great lunches in Jersey City. Private schools are not required to meet any standards in terms of what they serve.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
my kids have always brought their own lunch. i cracked up when my son came home from school not too long ago and said "MOM - the company that provides the cafeteria food is the same one who provides food to PRISONS!". My two were totally disgusted after learning that, LOL.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM

76 posts, read 174,220 times
I feel for opening poster and agree that school lunches are a disgrace. You can pack the lunch, but the kid can chuck it and use his milk money to buy junk food. Reason, I know? That is what I did.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
food is healthy. nothing wrong with chicken nuggets, hot dogs and pizza. just need to watch the quantity.

i wonder how many people complaining about this food and suggesting more vegetables, fruits, etc. are overweight themselves. i dont listen to overweight people's opinions when it comes to diet.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai01 View Post
I feel for opening poster and agree that school lunches are a disgrace. You can pack the lunch, but the kid can chuck it and use his milk money to buy junk food. Reason, I know? That is what I did.
milk money? do kids really even bring "milk money" anymore? my kids don't have $$$ on them during school.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:40 PM

46 posts, read 79,827 times
wow ive been to several (just about all) jersey city public schools and have yet to see a menu: brown rice ,veggie wraps, fish nuggets, or lentils. Is this school located in the heights ?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
HalfFull;24408164] Case closed...? And if you squeeze your eyes closed reallllly tight, you can almost convince yourself that the other people aren't there.
If you keep your eyes open, other people will always be there; eating, drinking, expressing views, whatever, as they please. If it's not hurting you, how's that your business?

Quote:
....Nice concept and something to strive towards, but the reality of a lunch table makes that pretty challenging.....
Some challenge. Introducing our son to life's challenges never phased us in the least.

We've never had a desire to exercise control over the eating habits of others. Even for their own good.

Quote:
....And if there's an exception for "special occassions", doesn't that make the 'bad' food even more desireable?
So? Life is full of exceptions. I like red wine. A lot. When I have a designated driver, I get to make an exception to my normal intake. When I don't have driver, I do what's right.

Quote:
... it's just that it's not always so simple, especially as they get older.
I know. We now have a teenager with a freshly minted driver's license. We never thought parenting would be an easy job. We just don't feel the need to make others do things to make our lives easier. That's weak parenting in my opinion.

Last edited by doc1; 05-22-2012 at 04:02 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 04:04 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitsNGravy View Post
wow ive been to several (just about all) jersey city public schools and have yet to see a menu: brown rice ,veggie wraps, fish nuggets, or lentils. Is this school located in the heights ?
no, it's near Journal square. Another school I was at near claremont and Ocean avenue (which isn't a desirable area), also had very similar menu. I haven't been in the district very long, but maybe they improved the menus from years ago. Here is the May menu. No fries in sight.

http://www.jcboe.org/newboe/images/i...on%20lunch.pdf

Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Since it seems no one realizes it, standards for schoo lunches are set by the USDA. They need to contain a certain mix of foods from different groups on a "point" system designed to create a balanced lunch. This is why Congress decided that pizza was a "vegetable" it was so the tomato sauce in the pizza would count as a serving of vegetables.
This is a big part of the problem. United States Department of AGRICULTURE. Their mandate isn't nutrition, it's to support agriculture. The pizza is a vegetable thing was a direct result of lobbying by food processors. Nothing whatsoever to do with health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey