Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 AM

14 posts, read 19,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think that approaching the school board is a good idea, but you should first assemble some statistics that may illustrate how poor diet and obesity are linked in this country, especially with young people.

These figures are from memory, but I believe them to be accurate:

>The US military rejected 27% of those who attempted to join-up last year, due to obesity.
>1/3 of those under the age of 30 will be diagnosed with Type II Diabetes within the next few years.

Clearly, both of these stats are related to diet, as well as to levels of physical exercise.

You want to be able to present verified, up-to-date stats in order to make your presentation effective, so be sure to check the figures that I posted above.
definitely I have a friend that works as a health coach that offered to do a free seminar either at the school or somewhere in the local area...I'd like to invite the parents to attend and be able to provide them with more info about these statistics and just how important it it! Maybe the school nurse would be a good person to approach on the subject as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 12:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit20 View Post
The menus bother me as well. Luckily I've fed my children well from a young age and the prefer better food than what's served at school. In fact they both refuse to eat it. I pack lunches for my kids.
I think it's crazy that living in the Garden State these kids don't have better options...why aren't out schools partnering up with local farmers and farm markets to get fresh fruits & veggies for kids?? My 2 (3rd & 7th grade) said they would both like to order lunch if they had a salad bar at school. They do have one in the HS in out twp but not for the Middle School or Elementary kids...I don't know why I was thinking about putting a petition together and approaching the school board at one of their meetings.
why should a school have to maintain a salad bar and relationships with local farmers? the kids have parents dont they? let the parents go buy the food and send them with the kid. they should just scrap school provided lunch altogether.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:24 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
I think back to the garbage I ate in highschool and middle school and I was always thin because I was active. Actually, I drink tons of beer on weekends and have a great body because I am active. If someone is obese, it is because they constantly eat junk and are inactive.

As for toddlers, in my experience they will only eat pasta, chicken nuggets, french fries, hamburgers, etc.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:05 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
I wouldn't be so sure about the toddler menu. My son was eating broccoli, falafel and sushi when he was three or so.

Lunch at my elementary school was awful. High school was a little better, but not much. I would eat the nasty pizza on Friday.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 PM

if people insist on schools providing lunch, it should be a bowl of plain rolled oats with no sweetener. thats about as filling and nutritious as any food on earth. veggies are expensive and not nutritious and fruits are just sugar, may as well be eating skittles.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why should a school have to maintain a salad bar and relationships with local farmers? the kids have parents dont they? let the parents go buy the food and send them with the kid. they should just scrap school provided lunch altogether.
Maybe because it's healthier than pretty much anything they provide. Also there are many families that receive free or reduced lunch because the family would have a hard time providing lunch for their children.
I do provide all the lunches that my children eat at school.
Why shouldn't our schools have a relationship with farmers in the area instead of Dominos Pizza?

Old 08-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Maybe because it's healthier than pretty much anything they provide. Also there are many families that receive free or reduced lunch because the family would have a hard time providing lunch for their children.
I do provide all the lunches that my children eat at school.
Why shouldn't our schools have a relationship with farmers in the area instead of Dominos Pizza?
its not healther. those vegetables are just fiber and water. a pizza will give your child energy that he/she needs to perform activities. but i know thats something people dont want to agree with because they stuff their faces with excessive amounts of pizza while sitting on their butts watching vampire diaries so they think its simply the fact that pizza isnt healthy thats making them chunky monkeys.

but anyway, the school shouldnt have relationships with farmers because its a school. it should be focusing on education. parents should be focusing on providing food for their kids according to their own preferences. if they get subsidies for lunches, just put it in their food stamp card. no need for multiple delivery systems of government handouts.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:41 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
As for toddlers, in my experience they will only eat pasta, chicken nuggets, french fries, hamburgers, etc.
If you give in to toddler demands/urges/tantrums, then--yes--they would likely be eating only things such as the ones that you mentioned. However, when children are exposed to complex tastes and nutritious food items when they are very young, they will actually prefer more adult foods in most cases.

In my family, my mother used to say, "This is not a cafeteria. We all the eat the same things, and we all sit down at the dining room table at the same time". There were no options for us. Either eat the same foods that my parents were eating, or...wait until the next meal. You would be amazed at how quickly a child learns to first tolerate, and then to enjoy "adult" foods.

My mother used to tell the story of taking my brother into a restaurant for the first time when he was about 5. The waiter asked if he wanted one of the various children's plates featuring "kiddie foods". Nope! He ordered Roast Leg of Lamb, Green Beans Almondine, and Mashed Potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about the toddler menu. My son was eating broccoli, falafel and sushi when he was three or so.
Absolutely!
One of my best friends made her own baby food, from fresh fruits, vegetables, meat and fish, and as a result, her kids (who are now in their teens) have never demanded chicken nuggets, burgers & fries, and other fast/junk food. Her son, who is now 16, loves lobster, clams, mussels, all kinds of fish--both raw and cooked, grilled lamb, hummus, and mesclun salads with balsamic vinaigrette. He eats every vegetable that is put in front of him, and even prefers garlic mashed potatoes to fries. And, being a tri-athlete, he can eat fairly large quantities of these foods and still remain slim and in very good physical condition.

My experience is that little kids who are taught how to eat in a healthy manner at an early age will continue to do so as they mature.

Last edited by Retriever; 08-03-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its not healther. those vegetables are just fiber and water. a pizza will give your child energy that he/she needs to perform activities. but i know thats something people dont want to agree with because they stuff their faces with excessive amounts of pizza while sitting on their butts watching vampire diaries so they think its simply the fact that pizza isnt healthy thats making them chunky monkeys.
add a whole grain roll maybe some chicken for protein or hard boiled eggs and some cheese and I'm pretty sure it's a decent meal

Old 08-03-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
add a whole grain roll maybe some chicken for protein or hard boiled eggs and some cheese and I'm pretty sure it's a decent meal
ohhh yeah a "whole grain" roll because thats going to make a huuuuuuge difference. the difference between a fat person and a thin person isnt a whole grain roll. its 20 whole grain rolls and 6 hours of television. what a joke people have become thanks to ignorance and bs marketing of "healthy" products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey