Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
West New York, New Jersey. What happened? You ran out of decent names?
Hahaha. How come they don't have East New Jersey in New York?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM

7 posts, read 18,216 times
I am late to the party but the Haddonfield in the Halloween (Michael Myers') movies was actually named for the hometown of the director/producer which was Haddonfield, NJ.

Just a little trivia

Old 07-28-2012, 01:24 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
Whitehouse Station... is it a town or is it a station? Weird.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:17 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post

Well, for that matter, we have Cape May Courthouse.
Is it a town, or is it a courthouse?

In reality, years ago, many towns were named for the most important feature located there.
Thus--places like Blackwell's Mills (where there was a unique mill with two millstones, thus Blackwell's Mills, instead of Blackwell's Mill), Whitehouse Station (where there was a train depot), and Cape May Courthouse (where the county courthouse was located).

I think that town names like Hi-Nella and Ong's Hat are far stranger.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
I had a student once who was talking about visiting relatives in "Clark Westfield". And I was like whoaa kid I hope you know that Clark and Westfield are two separate towns. I know what he means though, the way it says it on the Parkway exit sign kind of makes it look a bit like that. Sounds like it could be a movie star's name like in a western film, kind of Clint Eastwood-esque if you know what I mean.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Tons of places in NJ have the word station at the end. North Brunswick has an area called Adams Station. There is also Cranbury Station nearby too.

But yeah, rather bizarre and I do not understand why they do that or what it means. Another thing I do not get is places with the word junction at the end, such as Monmouth Junction, Princeton Junction etc.

Oh and corner, like Berdines Corner, Dunhams Corner etc.

Last edited by HubCityMadMan; 07-28-2012 at 11:01 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 11:18 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Tons of places in NJ have the word station at the end. North Brunswick has an area called Adams Station. There is also Cranbury Station nearby too.

But yeah, rather bizarre and I do not understand why they do that or what it means. Another thing I do not get is places with the word junction at the end, such as Monmouth Junction, Princeton Junction etc.
It's exactly what you'd think; the towns grew up around a train station or junction (a junction is a place multiple train lines come together and trains can switch from one to another; there doesn't have to be a station there, but there often is)

Old 07-29-2012, 12:58 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Actually, the name is Toms River, not Tom's River.
There are various theories as to whether the settlement was named for an English sea captain with the last name of, "Toms", or if it was named after someone else with the first name of, "Tom".

According to Wikipedia:
The settlement and the river were usually spelled "Tom's River" in its early days, though its current spelling has been standard since the middle of the 19th century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Dammit, you beat me to it.And there's no river, either. Just a sea inlet
Looks like you need a Toms River refresher course . There's no river? Just a sea inlet?....

There certainly is a river in Toms River named Toms River.

There is not a sea inlet in Toms River. The nearest inlets to TR would be the Manasquan Inlet to the north and the Barnegat Inlet to the south.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:25 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Looks like you need a Toms River refresher course . There's no river? Just a sea inlet?....

There certainly is a river in Toms River named Toms River.

There is not a sea inlet in Toms River. The nearest inlets to TR would be the Manasquan Inlet to the north and the Barnegat Inlet to the south.
OK, I had previously read--but I cannot remember where--that Toms River is not actually a river (like the East River is not really a river). However, I can't find anything on it on the Internet. Wherever I read it, it was in print and a long time ago.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Central NJ/Shore road names seem to have these elements in common:

- Taverns
- Mills
- The odds are that they're "Burnt" or "Old"

So Old Burnt Mill Tavern Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey