U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 02:55 PM

256 posts, read 342,787 times

Advertisements

I heard of Oak Hill Academy, Pingry, Peck, and others, but those schools are really too far out and way to expensive (~ over $30,000).

I am wondering if there are quality college prep schools in Bergen County that has a good reputation for sending kids to top colleges.

Please know that I understand that the student's hard work and intellect decides whether they go to a good college and just attending a prep school isn't enough.

So far in my search I have only found Don Bosco Prep, but I only know about its sports programs (especially football). Can anyone comment on its academics? Do you recommend other college prep schools?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 10:41 AM

5,637 posts, read 2,078,447 times
Some families choose Horace Mann for very rigorous academics and better college placement. It is across the bridge but close to enough to Bergen County that a fair number of students attend.
Dwight Englewood is good (not as good as HM) and is often selected if families are unhappy with their public school choices.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:01 PM

13,861 posts, read 23,513,691 times
Saddle River Day school has a strong academic reputation.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:53 PM

3,309 posts, read 3,415,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Some families choose Horace Mann for very rigorous academics and better college placement. It is across the bridge but close to enough to Bergen County that a fair number of students attend.
Dwight Englewood is good (not as good as HM) and is often selected if families are unhappy with their public school choices.
These are the best of the best. Not exactly cheap, however.

Don Bosco and Bergen Catholic are also good but have a very strong focus on athletics (so much so that many parents/students might find it excessive).

Although in all honesty, I don't see why you are averse to the public schools. Bergen county has several public schools that are competitive with excellent private schools in terms of quality. People go to Bosco/BC for the whole catholic/athletic thing, to Dwight because they live in Englewood or Englewood Cliffs, and to Horace Mann because they are willing to put up with the commute and money is not an object. If you just want your kid to get into a good college, send them to a public. In fact, if all you care about is admission to a good college rather than actual education, send them to one of the more (relatively) mediocre publics: the lower competition for good grades will more than balance out the lower admit rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: