U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM

71,488 posts, read 67,567,560 times

Advertisements

I took today off because yesterday, after I left the beach at Long Branch, my car didn't start. Just the alternator. Had nice ride in a big tow truck. Flatbed. I think having a tow truck is what I want to do in my next career.

Anyway, so I'm home waiting for the call that my car is ready so I can walk about a mile in the broiling sun to pick it up, and all of a sudden my lights go out. Checked the neighborhood, and nobody seemed to have power, so when it was time, I hiked down 35 to get my car, and lo and behold cops were at every traffic light directing traffic because Eatontown was out, too. So was Tinton Falls and Shrewsbury. Little Silver apparently had power, because I met someone from there in the Trader Joe's parking lot as we both found out they were closed after I got my car.

Came back on after a couple of hours, but I wonder if we were the only area that had a blackout today. Anybody else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,525,561 times
I guess with the heat yesterday and today, the power grids are on overload. Oy. It's that time of year again! I heard people in Millburn lost power today too. So did folks in Cranbury, East Brunswick, Helmetta, Monroe, Old Bridge, Sayreville and South Brunswick. (All JCPL customers). Parts of NY and NYC are under severe weather watch/tornado watch, also with power outages, and Penn Station was having some kind of power problem as well.

Side note: I heard a news teaser on TV this morning about how we're in store for a hurricane this season that's worse than Irene, and it's not a matter of 'IF', it's a matter of 'WHEN'...dun dun dun!!! Oh man. And we're already starting with the power outages.

Maybe I should go now to buy a generator before every retailer on the eastern seaboard is sold out.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 PM

271 posts, read 951,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I guess with the heat yesterday and today, the power grids are on overload. Oy. It's that time of year again! I heard people in Millburn lost power today too. So did folks in Cranbury, East Brunswick, Helmetta, Monroe, Old Bridge, Sayreville and South Brunswick. (All JCPL customers). Parts of NY and NYC are under severe weather watch/tornado watch, also with power outages, and Penn Station was having some kind of power problem as well.

Side note: I heard a news teaser on TV this morning about how we're in store for a hurricane this season that's worse than Irene, and it's not a matter of 'IF', it's a matter of 'WHEN'...dun dun dun!!! Oh man. And we're already starting with the power outages.

Maybe I should go now to buy a generator before every retailer on the eastern seaboard is sold out.
I don't know, sounds like another scare tactic and flashing news kinda thing. But I wouldn't be surprised if that is true, global warming is definitely giving freak weather events.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 PM

10,025 posts, read 17,222,743 times
No loss of power here in West Orange (PSE&G country) yesterday or today. Though with the thunderstorm we're having now I wouldn't be surprised.

I wouldn't worry about long range hurricane forecasts. They're useless. After the 2005 season, forecasters were falling all over themselves about how horrible every season since then would be. Not one major hurricane has hit the US since then.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 PM

11,280 posts, read 9,731,603 times
Keep all of this in mind when obstructionist environmentalists want to block adding towers to an existing right-of-way to expand capacity. Keep this in mind when they want to prevent construction of power plants and distribution systems to keep up with demand.

And keep this in mind when the random endangered turtle of the week is given priority over your family and you have to sit through "scheduled" blackouts in a few years.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:40 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,827,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Keep all of this in mind when obstructionist environmentalists want to block adding towers to an existing right-of-way to expand capacity. Keep this in mind when they want to prevent construction of power plants and distribution systems to keep up with demand.

And keep this in mind when the random endangered turtle of the week is given priority over your family and you have to sit through "scheduled" blackouts in a few years.
Turtle soup don't sound half bad right about now.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,263,150 times
Alternator and blackout - hope you're having a better day!! On the bright side, while you had to take the lond hot walk, at least you didn't have to listen to everyone's air conditioner running!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 AM

12,545 posts, read 20,064,075 times
I think everyone should take this opportunity to go around their house and unplug any appliances, lamps, chargers, etc., that you do not use regularly.

Reduces demand on the grid, and saves you some coin.

The utilities have been sitting on this aging infrastructure for years. They have no reason to upgrade it until it breaks.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Alternator and blackout - hope you're having a better day!! On the bright side, while you had to take the lond hot walk, at least you didn't have to listen to everyone's air conditioner running!

Well thanks for the good wishes. I just had to listen to the sound of all the cars moving slowly down 35 because the traffic lights were out. And it was HOT plus I already had some sunburn from Monday. My 20 year old daughter moaned and groaned worse than I did because she's a wuss who never walked to school in heat and snowstorms uphill both ways and has never lived without a/c. To be fair, she lived in Asia without heat last winter but it didn't get lower than 40 degrees.

Anyway, on the bright side, I tried a woodsy shortcut that didn't work out, but In doing that I found a pond full of bullfrogs who jumped every which way when I came by. Reminded me of being a kid. Wussy daughter wouldn't follow down the woodsy path. She's allergic to bees and was scared.

Today I went to work in Jersey City. Whether that was 'better' is debatable.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
I think everyone should take this opportunity to go around their house and unplug any appliances, lamps, chargers, etc., that you do not use regularly.

Reduces demand on the grid, and saves you some coin.

The utilities have been sitting on this aging infrastructure for years. They have no reason to upgrade it until it breaks.
Good suggestion. I keep my small appliances unplugged anyway. Toaster, microwave, coffee maker. My late bro was an electrician, and he cued me in to how many fires start in those types of things. Bigger ones, too--I think dishwashers, of all things, are the number one fire starter for appliances. Read that somewhere not long ago. Maybe Consumer Reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey