Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM

280 posts, read 603,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by re_alvz View Post
Personally I find that very rich towns, such as mentioned above, are also very snotty.
I am not looking for that, and I am afraid of moving to such area. Should I perhaps condisder Califon? Look at the school ratings, 9's and 10's!!! I would hope people that far west, away from all the congestion, dense population, are really nice and laid back? What does score of 10 mean in Ridgewood/Chatham vs. Califon? Does that mean the schools provide pretty much the same education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Is there really a need to drive into JC? It has excellent Public Transit that connects with the Regional Rail , from Ridgewood to Hoboken takes 45 mins then to Exchange Place or Newport is another 10 mins by PATH or Light Rail.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:12 PM

271 posts, read 1,018,878 times
Just so you know Millburn and Chatham schools are better than ridgewood.
Also, don't focus too much on the schools. Look for a nice town with good commute with very good schools (like the towns mentioned). A 9 vs 8 rating is not a lot of difference, after all parents make the most difference in students performance. Also, depending on the source, the ratings vary wildly.

But yeah, all these 3 towns are affluent and come with some snotty people.

personally, i wanted to have a more upper middle class like feel, so we looked at Cranford, Clark, Hasbrouck Heights, Rutherford, Nutley, Montclair, Verona, Oradell, River Edge. All of these have very good schools, not the best schools, but very good schools.

Some towns like Nutley, Verona HH, Montclair have nice after school activities and summer camps that keep children involved and is a huge help for working parents. A lot of super rich towns like Short Hills, don't believe in these things, because every child has a nanny and they spend time in Carribean rather than going to a summer camp....

OKay okay, last part was exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:21 PM

Thanks re-alvz, very useful info on those other towns!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Thanks re-alvz, very useful info on those other towns!
RM - me personally? I wouldn't move to LV OR Califon (even though I adore both places - Califon is wonderful) with a drive to JC.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:18 PM

We are not afraid of the commute! Coming from Chester/Mendham it takes one hour straight (knowing exactly when to leave is they key, as well as taking certain shortcuts). Wouldn't that translate into the same amount of time via I-78, (taking exits 20 or 24) then straight up north through Tewksbury? Then it would be about 6-7 miles on a single lane semi-rural road, can't imagine it gets that congested?

Part of me wants to move to Ridgewood (I'll take any house mentality), part of me wants to live on 2 acres anywhere near Long Valley. Hard to know what's better for kids nowadays...

Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
We are not afraid of the commute! Coming from Chester/Mendham it takes one hour straight (knowing exactly when to leave is they key, as well as taking certain shortcuts). Wouldn't that translate into the same amount of time via I-78, (taking exits 20 or 24) then straight up north through Tewksbury? Then it would be about 6-7 miles on a single lane semi-rural road, can't imagine it gets that congested?

Part of me wants to move to Ridgewood (I'll take any house mentality), part of me wants to live on 2 acres anywhere near Long Valley. Hard to know what's better for kids nowadays...
That's 517 and it's not congested and a lovely ride....BUT.... you still need to head west around Old Tkpe Rd for another 10 or so minutes to get to Califon (depending on where in Califon). For LV, it really depends on where you live. For instance, I'm still about 20 minutes from the edge of LV on Rt 517 (LV is huge). I don't know where in JC you are so I can't say for certainty if Chester is the same. I do know that the Turnpike extension or Pulaski Skyway can suck (if you don't use them today)!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM

6 posts, read 14,291 times
Try Scotch Plains. Stay away from Westfield because the kids are very rude and snotty

Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalcay9 View Post
Try Scotch Plains. Stay away from Westfield because the kids are very rude and snotty

Somehow, since the OP posted about her plight (including an expired lease + stringent time constraints for relocating), I really doubt that she is still awaiting further advice
7 months later.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,126 times
might be a bit of a hike on commute, but west windsor/princeton has AMAZING schools..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey