Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2007, 06:03 PM

44 posts, read 269,375 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Your tips have always been so great, hope someone knows about this one. We have friends that have been to mediation with their school and cannot agree on services for their autistic son. The next step for them is court and they are afraid they will be eaten alive by the school's attorney. It may be a long shot but is anyone familiar with this? or know of any attorney's that are good? they live in Kenilworth.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 09:36 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,643,284 times
Statewide Parent Advocacy Network, Inc. - serving the families of New Jersey

My gf's mother works for them, so I can get you any information you'd like, feel free to ask.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,772,577 times
Do they have the publication called Parental Rights in Special Education? Did they have a due process hearing? Great resource Cucullin!

Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 AM

56 posts, read 289,986 times
Default Autism Attorney

There's no shortage of advocate attorneys for special needs kids. I have worked with Gary Mayerson (first hand parent experience) who is based in NYC, practices in NJ and relaly throughout the nation. Highly recommend him and Christina Thivierge, an attorney in his firm. They are knowledgeable, strong and have successfully advocated on behalf of many kids and families. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:43 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,643,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Do they have the publication called Parental Rights in Special Education? Did they have a due process hearing? Great resource Cucullin!
My gfs mom has been involved in education and, more specifically, special needs for some time now. She wouldn't be the person who directly handles this type of thing, but SPAN has helped an incredible number of people, and continues to do so, providing parents with the tools and resources they need. Definitely worth a call, they will have *lots* of information.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:43 PM

23,783 posts, read 33,224,108 times
You can also check out the site Wrightslaw. My sister who has an autistic son gave me the link.

COSAC (http://www.njcosac.org/cosac2/Home%20Page - broken link) - New Jersey Center for Outreach and Services for the Autism Community based in Ewing - their mission:
COSAC is a nonprofit agency providing information and advocacy, services, family and professional education, and consultation. COSAC encourages responsible basic and applied research that may lessen the effects of, and potentially prevent, autism. COSAC is dedicated to ensuring that all people with autism receive appropriate, effective services to maximize their growth potential and to enhancing the general public's overall awareness of autism.

Be sure to check out their resourses (http://www.njcosac.org/cosac2/resources - broken link)
contact page (http://www.njcosac.org/cosac2/contactus - broken link)

New Jersey Governor's Council on Autism - they also have an Autism Advocacy Organizations link (broken link)

Old 09-23-2007, 09:45 PM

44 posts, read 269,375 times
Thank you all, great resources, I will pass on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: