Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,886 times

Advertisements

Hoping I can get some candid advice from native New Jerseyans... my husband and I are being relocated to NJ, he will be working in Westwood. We live in San Diego right now, and I am having trouble researching--there are just so many tiny towns! We are looking for a place that is

1) relatively safe (I know we're close to NYC so being realistic)
2) has some decent restaurants/nightlife within a few miles
3) easy commute to NYC (close to train, walking distance ideal)

Money not necessarily an option, would rather pay more to live in a town I like. Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer!!!

Kate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 PM

177 posts, read 700,473 times
Rutherford, East Rutherford, Secaucus. Easy commutes to the city, semi-affordable compared to other cities nearby, low crime rate.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:54 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,537 times
Bergen county would meet your needs... just about any city fits your criteria though the nightlife may be a bit hard to find depending on your definition.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,853 times
OP, what is your price range? Everyone has one; even those worth $100+ million. Without knowing that, how's anyone supposed to help you?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:12 AM

391 posts, read 1,475,892 times
agree that price range is needed.
first town that comes to mind is Ridgewood. it's fairly close to Westwood, and has a great walkable downtown with tons of Restaurants, cafes etc.

train station in town, and many who live in RW commute to the city daily. Schools are also excellent.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate619 View Post
Hoping I can get some candid advice from native New Jerseyans... my husband and I are being relocated to NJ, he will be working in Westwood. We live in San Diego right now, and I am having trouble researching--there are just so many tiny towns! We are looking for a place that is

1) relatively safe (I know we're close to NYC so being realistic)
2) has some decent restaurants/nightlife within a few miles
3) easy commute to NYC (close to train, walking distance ideal)

Money not necessarily an option, would rather pay more to live in a town I like. Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer!!!

Kate
I would say try Westwood! It's safe, has a cute downtown and a train line. Maybe rent for a year first though to make sure you like it.

If you have a price range for renting or buying, that might help people make other suggestions.

Other nice towns around Westwood are Washington Twp (07666, there are multiple ones in NJ), Ridgewood (has a downtown), Hillsdale, Park Ridge.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
Rutherford, East Rutherford, Secaucus. Easy commutes to the city, semi-affordable compared to other cities nearby, low crime rate.
If they are working in Westwood, I wouldn't recommend these towns. There are towns right near Westwood that can give them what they want.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,886 times
Thanks for the advice so far...we will be renting at first, probably a 1-2 bdrm in the $1500-$1800/mo price range. It looks like there are a lot of nice restaurants in Montclair/Bloomfield, would anyone recommend those areas for a young couple? It looks like maybe a 25 min commute, does that sound about right?

We are flying out in two weeks to check it out the area and the suspense is killing me! Thanks for everyone who posted!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:47 AM

195 posts, read 491,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate619 View Post
Thanks for the advice so far...we will be renting at first, probably a 1-2 bdrm in the $1500-$1800/mo price range. It looks like there are a lot of nice restaurants in Montclair/Bloomfield, would anyone recommend those areas for a young couple? It looks like maybe a 25 min commute, does that sound about right?

We are flying out in two weeks to check it out the area and the suspense is killing me! Thanks for everyone who posted!
Check out Nutley.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:02 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,223 times
Some parts of Montclair are very nice, downtown is very cute and there is a lot to do there. Bloomfield is ehhh, i think you can do better in that price range. Ridgewood is also very nice, not sure what the rental market is like there though. Hoboken is always an option if youreally like night life although you could find a better commute if you go closer to Westwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey